Popular Electronics Magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

retiredmich

In 1954 I was just a puppy !! Brings back some memories,Thanks for sharing.

w2xq

Mentor
Wow, what a find! Thanks for the link. The scans are excellent. Looking through a few issues, I found lots of people I knew. Brings back a lot of memories. Hank Bennett had my photo in his SW column in the late 1950s, but don't remember when just now. Looking at the Heathkit ads are a hoot. It was fun building more than a few of them. See the April 1975 issue for a now-badly-out-of-date BCB DXing article I wrote back when. [emoji2]

Last edited:

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
Also on that site, are other mags

from that era that can be read with pdf. On the left side of the dates you'll see mags like Radio Electronics, Radio News, etc. What a site for old timers!

Edit: Interesting article on DXing the BCB Tom! Back then I was a DXer for stations after dark. Forgot how many stations I had logged, but it was fun doing it!

Last edited:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Interesting look back. I opened up the issue from the year and month I was born and read the Carl & Jerry column as well as looked through the advertisements for companies that don't exist anymore. The world of electronics was a lot different 50-60 years ago.

John Frye W9EGV (Ether's Golden Voice) wrote the very popular Carl & Jerry column. He lived about 6 blocks down the street from us in Logansport, Indiana. Unfortunately, I wasn't interested in ham radio at the time and John was up in years as well as being confined to a wheel chair, so I never met the guy. My loss, I think.

Long-time computer author Jeff Dunteman (who I know from a previous career) has compiled many of the Carl & Jerry columns and re-published them in book form. John T. Frye's Carl and Jerry, from Popular Electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.