Replacing DLP chip is easy

Status
Not open for further replies.

KQ4BX

Premium Subscriber
I have a Samsung DLP TV. It is the best design they ever produced in DLP format, it utilizes an LED light engine developed at MIT, and not the light bulb and spinning mirror of the original design that everybody hated. The DLP TV was popular for one reason, it has one of the best pictures ever, with Plasma being the only one to beat it. Plasma had its own issues, with heat, high power usage and pixel burn. Plasma got better, but not before it lost ground to the sale of LED back lighted LCD Tv's, which also got better over time.

So some will ague about which TV technology produced the greatest picture quality, and I won't debate that with anyone. I bought the Samsung DLP and was blown away with how great the picture is. So after a bunch of years, not sure how many, but I would guess 8 or 10, I started to get a few pixels glowing bright all the time.
I did a little web research, then called a friend that works in the business. I needed a new DLP chip, and my friend told me that he buys them from Shop Jimmy. So I did more research on what DLP chip should be in my Samsung and eventually realized that there were only a few DLP chips that go into every DLP TV, no matter who made it.
I bought the DLP chip for under $200, and within a week, I took some time and took the TV apart, put the chip in, and when I turned the TV on, I had no white dots, and just beautiful picture. Yes, it is that easy, with the biggest e\expense being the chip. The TV was not cheap, so $189.00 for the chip to fix it was a bargain.
One other thing is that once I had the chassis out, I took the fan shroud off and found a lot of dust on the cooling fins, and built up on the blades of the fans. I cleaned all that, and am confident that I may get another 8 year out of this TV. It is an HD TV, and had HDMI input, among some older input types, so I see no reason it could be fazed out of existence for a while.

I keep all electronics on UPS power, I live in Florida and the number one killer of electronics is lightening surge, and power line surge. So UPS power is a must, and if you think about the TV costing you $1000, or in my case closer to $2000, the UPS is a cheap way to protect it. If TV manufactures thought they could get people to pay, they would build better protection into the TV at the factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.