Home surveillance systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
All,

If it is OK, I'd like to ask for advice on home surveillance systems, specifically camera-based systems.

While out mowing the yard today, I noticed that seven holes had been shot in my vinyl siding within the last 24 hours. I called the police to report it; we have a really good idea of who did it (the neighbor's kid or his friends), but since we don't have any sort of photo or video evidence, we can't prove it. I've been considering a video surveillance system for quite a while, possibly a system using IP cameras and featuring at least a 15-day recording capability, and this incident has made me decide to go forward. I've wired the house for gigabit Ethernet, so network capability isn't a problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good system? The cameras will be outside in the weather, so that's something to consider, and I'm also considering cameras with IR capability for night surveillance. Any brands that are really good or really bad? What other things should I take into account relative to features, placement, or anything else? I have no predilections for or against any brand.

Any thoughts, recommendations, or comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Glenn

KB0VWG

Glenn
Well Swann seems to be good and also Night owl. But I know there are even better ones out there if money is not an issue. Just be careful if you buy online from ebay or amazon. I bought some swann cameras from Amazon for a real cheap price and then 6 months later the dvr went out and swann said sorry that was not an approved seller so I was dead in the water so to speak. The person that sold the cameras from amazon could never be contacted ( and I wonder why) go figure. Amazon supposed to have removed her from selling on Amazon. At least the cameras still work. knock on wood
kb0vwg
wqoi992

rbm

I use Blue Iris and 9 Hikvision 3mp IP cameras (weatherproof). (A few others, but Hikvision is the best 'bang for the buck')
I use mostly DS-2CD2032-I cameras.

Not only can I see butterflies on them, but I can tell what kind they are. ;)

I can post some images if you're interested.

Rich

Edit: This is from one of my old Logitech cameras. The Hikvision is much, much better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyNWAOxxt6A

Here's a daytime sample from a Hikvision DS-2CD2632F-I, 3 Megapixel 2.8-12mm bullet camera.
(Same camera as a DS-2CD2032F-I but with a vari-focal lens (for more $$).
Select 1080p to see it in the original resolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHLcJE6VQEc&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I use Blue Iris software with 6 cameras currently with 2 more not currently in use, 3 are connected via my home LAN, 3 are wireless. 2 cameras outside the others inside. Easy system to setup once you figure out how to do it, records to my computer, accessible from our IPhones and iPads. When we leave we can arm or disarm from iPhone so it trips on movement and will send a text alert which camera was tripped. Many options on how you want it to do, also if your cameras have pan and tilt and audio you can control the from your iPhone and even listen to what is going on.

We go out of town a couple of times a month for one or two nights, I have one cameras mounted low so we can check on the two cats.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
All,

If it is OK, I'd like to ask for advice on home surveillance systems, specifically camera-based systems.

While out mowing the yard today, I noticed that seven holes had been shot in my vinyl siding within the last 24 hours. I called the police to report it; we have a really good idea of who did it (the neighbor's kid or his friends), but since we don't have any sort of photo or video evidence, we can't prove it. I've been considering a video surveillance system for quite a while, possibly a system using IP cameras and featuring at least a 15-day recording capability, and this incident has made me decide to go forward. I've wired the house for gigabit Ethernet, so network capability isn't a problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good system? The cameras will be outside in the weather, so that's something to consider, and I'm also considering cameras with IR capability for night surveillance. Any brands that are really good or really bad? What other things should I take into account relative to features, placement, or anything else? I have no predilections for or against any brand.

Any thoughts, recommendations, or comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Glenn

Lots of high end and low end choices out there, some things to consider:

Your budget.
Are you interested in fixed cams or PTZ to cover much larger areas
If PTZ, do you want auto-patrol (scheduled scanning of a dozen or more pre-set locations)
Is 2 way audio needed
Are you interested in remote monitoring, recording, management, and control... or strictly in-house.
Distance... will your intended targets be fairly close, or at distant perimeters that need high optical zoom for quality identifications at 100-500 feet or more
Weather (for housing)... Are your outdoor conditions average, or really hot summers and sub-zero icy-snowy winters
Want external sensors to be able to trigger the cam to move to a certain PTZ point?
Want cam's motion detection to trigger external events such as lights, horns, monitoring company dial-outs, etc.
Want Email alerts

Lots of goodies that might help narrow down some choices.

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
This is great stuff, everyone! Thank you!

fxdscon, to answer your questions:

Are you interested in fixed cams or PTZ to cover much larger areas Fixed
Is 2 way audio needed No
Are you interested in remote monitoring, recording, management, and control... or strictly in-house In-house
Distance... will your intended targets be fairly close, or at distant perimeters that need high optical zoom for quality identifications at 100-500 feet or more Distance of not more than 75 feet, typically less than 50 feet
Weather (for housing)... Are your outdoor conditions average, or really hot summers and sub-zero icy-snowy winters I would say average, typical summer weather can occasionally reach into the 90s and typical winter weather in the 20s, with temperatures occasionally lower; ice storms are not a problem
Want external sensors to be able to trigger the cam to move to a certain PTZ point? Probably not, I envision cams mounted in fixed positions as I have a relatively small lot and mounting locations that would allow overlapping coverage
Want cam's motion detection to trigger external events such as lights, horns, monitoring company dial-outs, etc. That's a possibility, hadn't considered it. I do already have motion-detector lights on both the house and garage
Want Email alerts A possibility, hadn't considered it

I'm not looking to drop thousands of dollars into it, but I'm also looking for something more than, say, a $200 Harbor Freight special.

rbm

I should also have mentioned that the following two forums have a wealth of information and advice.

IP Cam Talk forums: ipcamtalk.com
and ...
Cam It! forrms: cam-it.org

I'm sure there are others.

Rich

bharvey2

I've used a number of Ubiquiti products. They have some bullet style as well as dome style. They offer free recording and administration software if you don't mind using keeping a computer running all of the time or they offer a stand-alone DVR, about the size of a USB hard drive. I've used them in several applications over the years and find that their visual clarity is pretty good for the price of the camera.

PACNWDude

I have had problems with Swann, QSee and Lorex. After migrating to generic Linux DVR boxes and no name brand cameras from dealextreme's web site, I have had almost no problems.

One camera burned out due to hot swapping it with power applied, a big no no for many of these systems. The hard drive gave out after 6 years of use. My problem was neighbors that would let their dogs do their business in my front yard, even with a small fence to show that it was private property.

Many systems are wireless, but I would recommend wired, get as many TV lines of resolution as possible and IR range of 40-50 feet at least. Some have lower lines of resolution, which makes it hard to resolve individual people. Almost all allow for motion recording, networking, sending to Android and Apple phones, and setting up dead zones.

My system that has worked for me is a generic box, BNC connectors for signal and power cables that split out for 4 cameras for each power cord. 1Tb drive lasts a month or so before overwriting.

My problems with Swann, QSee and Lorex revolved around their cameras being proprietary, software locking up and lack of customer support. I will go generic from here on out.

AC2OY

Gentlemen I would like to ask a question simply because the xyl and I have talked about this topic as well. Would a wireless camera system be a good way to go so we don't have to pay a electrician hundreds of dollars to wire a system? I agree with fly as well as to not go for a el cheapo system where you can't see a thing but not to break the bank as well. I have weather issues where it can get down to 20 degrees and don't really need a system that sees more that fifty feet but probably need something for night where streetlights are a light source because I have a pritty good idea what I need to view or survail,is happening at night. All advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

bharvey2

There are a number of things that would govern whether a wireless camera system would be adequate: distance to wireless AP, number of cameras and home layout and construction being among them. Also the cost of a good wireless camera (especially in a large number) may outweigh the cost of going wired. One thing to consider, even if you opt to go with wireless transmission, you still need to get power to the camera. If you choose a PoE camera (Power over Ethernet) you could supply power and signal over one cable.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
As a retired security installer you get what you pay for I have cameras that cost more per camera than the DIY stores the entire system for and I am ask from time to time why my cameras on my phone look better than the DIY systems. For one thing I have 3 cameras that cost over $400.00 each wholesale that see color in low light not IR cameras either. I have 2 IR cameras in places that have to light at all. plus a $1800.00 IP PTZ.

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
The cheapest most effective picture/camera believe it or not you can buy that is quite effective is Deer Hunting Trail cameras. They can be placed in remote spots. Take video when motion is activated. Have time and date stamps on them.

rbm

The cheapest most effective picture/camera believe it or not you can buy that is quite effective is Deer Hunting Trail cameras. They can be placed in remote spots. Take video when motion is activated. Have time and date stamps on them.

While that's true for 'after the fact' ...................
And it may help catch the perp(s) ....................

Software can be configured to let you know, wherever you are in the world, 'during the fact'.
And therefore end the problem WHILE it's happening.

More and more often I hear calls on the scanner for people who are witnessing break-ins at home, while they're away.
Also:
If your camera has a microphone/speaker combo, you can have a two way communication, from anywhere in the world if you have an internet connection.

Rich

Sample configuration for Blue Iris alerts. (This will vary with the software.)

Attachments

• Alerts.gif
    Alerts.gif
    76.1 KB · Views: 301

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Bump a bit - if anyone knows of a system such as this:

Looking to have a network camera feed basically a picture frame sized display.

I have several gbit connections in my entertainment center and would like have a garage cam (can't see the driveway from main living areas). I don't want to install a computer in the entertainment center to run a monitor - so not sure what the options are.

Eventually I wouldn't mind a couple of displays (again, think digital photo frame) showing the single camera (or multiple cams down the road) and would like to keep it network based (wired or wireless and/or POE as my switch is all POE).

Anything come to mind?

Status
Not open for further replies.