Using USB Cable to Charge an Amateur H/T Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc9lxk

I am looking for a means of charging my portable radios via USB. I have Baofeng UV5R and Tytera MD-380 radios.

With regards to the UV5R, I have seen items like USB Charging Cable Charger for Walkie Talkie BF BAOFENG UV 5R TYT TH F8 Radio | eBay but nothing for the MD-380.

I have two sources of power.

1 x 5.0VDC @ 1.0A "USB Type A Female"
1 x 5.0VDC @ 2.0A "USB Type A Female"

For the MD-380 radios, I need to have a cable that has input of "USB Type A Male" from above
and an output of DC12.5VDC @ 750 mAh

And for the UV5R, I need to have a cable that has input of "USB Type A Male" from above
and an output of DC10VDC @ 500 mAh

I am not an electronics guru by any means. That being said, is it even possible to have such a cable mad using amplifiers and such, or is it beyond the capability of a lowly USB port?.

kc9lxk

So does that mean the product linked above would not work for the UV5R and just a scam?

Rred

"98.4% Positive feedback"
That's actually really lousy feedback for the ebay seller.
And since the cable is a straight cable, not active electronics, it is not going to raise the tightly regulated USB voltage to what those radios need to charge.
Even worse, if you use it with a radio that has a single lithium cell in it (about 4 volts) you would have a very good chance of overcharging it, eventually, followed by a small explosion and dramatic fire.
Lithium batteries are not something to mess around with.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"98.4% Positive feedback"
That's actually really lousy feedback for the ebay seller.
And since the cable is a straight cable, not active electronics, it is not going to raise the tightly regulated USB voltage to what those radios need to charge.
Even worse, if you use it with a radio that has a single lithium cell in it (about 4 volts) you would have a very good chance of overcharging it, eventually, followed by a small explosion and dramatic fire.
Lithium batteries are not something to mess around with.
. Very true! I think there's a you tube video of some lithium ion batteries bursting! I treat mine like gasoline anytime I'm charging those. :roll: 73, n9zas

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
More to the point, there is no charging port on a UV5R, etc. Only the longer hi-capacity battery has such a charging jack, but it still won't work because the voltage is too low.

cmdrwill

The stock charger base needs about 9 volts, so a USB cable is not going to work. Even the plug is the wrong size.
And anything more than the 9 volts you burn up the charger chip in the charger base.

Status
Not open for further replies.