RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Everything else

Everything else Wow, you made it this far and still not sure? Oh well, post it here anyway

View Poll Results: Are you...
A. Shutting down my feed with the Broadcastify changeover? 17 51.52%
B. Going to continue making money for Broadcastify with my content? 16 48.48%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 9:57 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdale View Post
My guess is - no. They are just here to whine. It appears neither of them even read one bit of the original notification post.
Yes I have read everything so far and I am still not happy.

I know its cost money to run all that and host ect. ect. but the fact is they would not be doing it if there was not money to be made. They not going to break even and call it a day. No they want to make money at the end of the day just like everyone else. You can keep your stupid $7 a month crap and just pay my dam RR $30 bucks and call it a day. Now they just made another $30 bucks lol. We not stupid we just pissed off. I feel miss lead and suprised and I not one for helping others get rich or even make money for free. We were happy before and now we no longer happy.

I am thinking we need to have a black out. If enough feeds go dark then they will have to do something else
Sponsored links
Old 09-27-2012, 10:01 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Far and away most feed providers are fine with it. It won't cost you a penny more to stream. As a matter of fact, it's still MUCH cheaper than streaming yourself, storing archives, advertising availability, etc.

(PS If someone has an idea that makes them rich, and it allows me to do what I already do, then so be it. Guess I come with a different political background than the type who gets upset when other people work hard, invent something, and profit from this. But I honestly doubt the owner is sitting on a few million dollars...)
Old 09-27-2012, 11:19 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonE View Post
Have you looked into the cost of the bandwidth to host 3600+ scanner feeds (which includes the audio data coming into the server as well as relaying the audio to thousands of listeners (there are 21,000+ people listening at this moment)), the cost of running the 7 servers that are involved in providing the audio feeds, as well as the cost of running the 5 servers which archive the audio, as well as the cost of storing archived audio from 3600+ feeds for several months?

-- Gordon
Really good point Gordon - It's expensive, very expensive. And then one has to find a server host who will even allow Audio streaming, not every hosting company wants to get into that.

7 bucks a month to radioreference.com isn't much for the information we all get to access here. But heck, if its bad enough to pack up a feed and boogie down the road, there are lots of places one can go and toss up a new feed. But many of those won't be as helpful as the folks are here. I mean you have to be a rocket scientist with a heck of a lot of bandwidth to build your own shoutcast feed. I have looked into it, I have a private feed not on radioreference.com and its a pain in the -- yeah there! Its much easier to come over here, lock out some channels, plug in and stream away.

I just hope the new Broadcastify doesn't have all the ice cast drops like we have here .I'm staying on - will give it go around ... or three.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:25 PM

I don't really listen to feeds on here I paid for premium so I could download frequencies into my software.. I listen to my scanner.. As I thought most people on here did?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Old 09-28-2012, 12:05 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by noaim View Post
I don't really listen to feeds on here I paid for premium so I could download frequencies into my software.. I listen to my scanner.. As I thought most people on here did?
Some people do both. I have scanners, but I also use feeds regularly to listen to places that I'm too far away to receive, and I also use the archives frequently.
Sponsored links
Old 09-28-2012, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibagli View Post
Some people do both. I have scanners, but I also use feeds regularly to listen to places that I'm too far away to receive, and I also use the archives frequently.
I can understand this however I guess I just don't see a problem here.. There is still use in having a membership here in my opinion..

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Old 09-28-2012, 1:42 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The new site has nothing that I use, but here the premium works great with me.
I am pretty sure that I will close down my small feed when the time arises
Its been a great few years & enjoyed it very much

Old 09-28-2012, 7:34 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

i have 4 feeds in minnesota. the scanners are not cheap it cost us money to power the scanners and computers. SO WHERE IS ARE SHARE?
Old 09-28-2012, 8:37 AM

Don't listen to any feeds regularly. I hit a couple once in a while, but only for short periods.

I look up a few things from time to time in the DB, but don't download any programming packages, so I have no need for any premium features here.

That said, I will not be visiting B-Fried at all. I may even block it in my router so I can't be taken there as a result of any web searches I may do.
Sponsored links
Old 09-28-2012, 8:42 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattnelson26 View Post
SO WHERE IS ARE SHARE?
When you stream, regardless of the platform, you pay for scanners and electricity and computers. So that's not part of the equation.

If you stream on your own:

1) You also pay for the server and the bandwidth and the storage. So you are at a a loss.
2) If 2000 listeners jump on your feed due to a big event, you pay a LOT of money for bandwidth. So you are at a MAJOR loss now.

If you stream with Broadcastify:

1) You get Broadcastify premium for free.
2) You don't pay for the server or the bandwidth or storage. So no loss there.
3) If 2000 listeners jump on your feed due to a big event, you don't pay ANY more for bandwidth. PLUS you get the provider bonus, so not only do you not lose money -- you make money.

Seems like common sense which route to take?

Last edited by rdale; 09-28-2012 at 8:44 AM..
Old 09-28-2012, 8:44 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
Don't listen to any feeds regularly.
You aren't a feed provider, and you aren't a feed listener. Glad to know you took time out of your day to post thoughts on the feed situation then...

Quote:
I hit a couple once in a while, but only for short periods. [...] I may even block it in my router so I can't be taken there as a result of any web searches I may do.
That makes sense... Oh wait - no it doesn't. That would mean you never hit any for any period of time. Sigh...
Old 09-28-2012, 8:46 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Location: Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the skeeters.
Default For those who bought scanners and

decided to run a feed on RR, bravo. But remember, YOU made the choice to apply for and granted a feed. There will be some who do leave, but overall, there will be more who stay. Many who post that they are leaving fail to realize that they are hurting only theirselves.
I had thoughts that the feed providers were getting screwed somewhat, but after reading and observing, it's not that way. Post number 19, by GordonE, pretty much says it all. I recommend reading that post a couple of times and letting the numbers sink in.
Also posts by 'rdale' need reading, #30 being one

Last edited by rafdav; 09-28-2012 at 8:48 AM.. Reason: rdale's post
Old 09-28-2012, 1:04 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibagli View Post
This will be/is only the case for the web player. (I never use the web player, so I don't know if that's something that already existed.)
WRONG...

Go back and read the posts from Lindsay.. He said ALL FORMS OF PLAYERS will be reset EVERY TWO HOURS. Not just the webplayer, all connections to the feed will be timed.
Old 09-28-2012, 2:56 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Do you even bother to read anything that's posted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blantonl View Post
"Unlimited continuous listening times". Does that just mean that the feeds will not time out after a certain time or is there a limit to how long they can listen?
Those who are in their Web browsers and not Broadcastify premium subscribers will be limited to 2 hours of continuous listening time before they will be required to reload the page. All other clients (mobile, etc) will remain unlimited. Broadcastify Premium subscribers will have unlimited continuous listening via all mediums.

Additionally, listening to feeds on Broadcastify will always remain free to everyone.

Forum Rules and Guidelines

Last edited by scannerfreak; 09-28-2012 at 2:58 PM..
Old 09-28-2012, 4:54 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafdav View Post
decided to run a feed on RR, bravo. But remember, YOU made the choice to apply for and granted a feed. There will be some who do leave, but overall, there will be more who stay. Many who post that they are leaving fail to realize that they are hurting only theirselves.
I had thoughts that the feed providers were getting screwed somewhat, but after reading and observing, it's not that way. Post number 19, by GordonE, pretty much says it all. I recommend reading that post a couple of times and letting the numbers sink in.
Also posts by 'rdale' need reading, #30 being one
How are we hurting ourselves??

The database only grows with our submissions, but i would only submit data for my area, i already know everything in my area, i really don't care if others do, not my problem anymore.

I can and still do listen to my private feed, i am right now on my squeezebox and my phone, its not hurting me none that its not going to RR.
Sponsored links
Old 09-28-2012, 4:55 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by scannerfreak View Post
Do you even bother to read anything that's posted?
Yes, and the posts i read said all players. I guess they changed that now.
Old 09-28-2012, 4:56 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0nly View Post
How are we hurting ourselves??

The database only grows with our submissions, but i would only submit data for my area, i already know everything in my area, i really don't care if others do, not my problem anymore.

I can and still do listen to my private feed, i am right now on my squeezebox and my phone, its not hurting me none that its not going to RR.
That is your choice. Nobody is going to beg you to stay or leave. It has always been your choice to feed or not to feed.

Quote:
No, It did not... At least not the official response... maybe one misinterpreted and repeated by someone else.

Last edited by burner50; 09-28-2012 at 5:04 PM..
Old 09-28-2012, 7:19 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
They never did. It was clear from the start that it was their web player only. The original announcement is still there and still says that.
Old 09-29-2012, 3:11 PM

well this switch should be interesting I will wait and see. I just hope that i can still listen thru mobile on scanner radio when not at home, its part if the reason i provide a feed so i can always listen to my feed no matter where i am. Just hope the switch over happens with out any real problems.

Does anyone know if the new site will contact and/or email use on how to access our feeds on the new site and any changes that have to be made on our ends.

One thing i would like to see is a why to update my feed off my cell in case of accidents, house fire etc.
Old 09-29-2012, 8:20 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Ok so I finally have to ask. I programmed my scanner with PSRedit,and use scannercast to broadcast,and then i left it alone and it works. Why or what is the database for that i see people wanting access to for free after the changeover?

for what its worth,im keeping mine up and running,if only beause about a dozen people seem to like it,including myself.

Running off a Pro-197