RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Everything else

Everything else Wow, you made it this far and still not sure? Oh well, post it here anyway

View Poll Results: Are you...
A. Shutting down my feed with the Broadcastify changeover? 17 51.52%
B. Going to continue making money for Broadcastify with my content? 16 48.48%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 6:09 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Arrow One Old Man's View

I have heard a lot of complaining and a lot of outright misinformation in this topic, let me just say a few things.

A little historical information (this is for the period after Lindsay has covered here so far):
RadioReference came into being as an expansion of the TrunkedRadio.net site. It was officially on line as of 28 Feb 2004. TrunkedRadio.net only had forums and a database of trunked radio systems, the idea behind the RadioReference expansion was to be able to incorporate conventional radio information into the database. The initial purpose was to cover public safety and expand into business, aviation, and so on. The most recent addition to the site was the addition of national (country wide) frequencies and amateur radio. The prime focus of this site, since 2004, has always been the database. All other parts of the site, including these forums, are secondary to the database.
With that background in mind, where do you think the audio section falls? If you think it is the most important part of the site, you are just misguided. If you think, as I have seen some say, that if the audio section leaves the site will flounder, you are wrong. The move in incorporate ScanAmerica into RadioReference didn't happen until 2009. By that time RadioReference was already the largest scanner site on the Internet. Those folks who have feeds on RadioReference seem to be upset about the move, well the whole audio section has only been in existence for a little over 3 years and it certainly is still not the focus or the main thrust of RadioReference. Maybe with it's own site, the audio section can get a little more directed attention.

Here are some outlandish things I have seen written here; the correct information or my opinion follows each point in parentheses:
  • Without the feeds bringing new members, RadioReference will dry up. (LOL, see above)
  • Without the feeds, the database will suffer for lack of submissions. (Since the feeds don't supply any submissions, I fail to see this logic.)
  • Without the feeds, the site will lose money. (May have some truth, but that money is moving to another site and needed to be a separate stream anyway.)
  • Listeners on Broadcastify will be thrown off after two hours. (No, if you use the web player, it will need to be reloaded after two hours, if you are using anything else it stays up.)
  • The admins and moderators have been paid off to quell the noise level about this move. (Trust me, I wish this was true, I could use some extra cash.)
  • There is no need for this switch. (IMHO There was no need to absorb ScanAmerica in the 1st place, but that said, it is not my site, so it is not my decision.)
  • Admin keeps deleting stuff because they are scared or they are hidding something. (I think he meant moderators, not admins and we are hiding nothing, just trying to abide by the rules, some folks ought to try it sometimes, it isn't too difficult.)
  • If enough feeds go dark then they will have to do something else (Again, the feeds are a very small part of this site and despite what the folks in this topic think, not the prime focus of RadioReference (again, look up above.))
  • A feed provider said this, "The database only grows with our submissions" (The fact that he was a feed provider had nothing to do with submissions he made, his submission history; 7 submissions since ScanAmerica moved to RR, prior to that 19; I don't know when he became a feed provider, but clearly the two things have nothing to do with each other.)
  • I got banned twice for speaking out against this. (No, you got banned twice for not following the guidelines established that almost everyone else here tends to understand.)
I realize that I am probably hoping in vain that this post will help calm some hotheads, but at least it might explain away some of the outright BS being spread by some in this topic.
Sponsored links
Old 10-16-2012, 12:33 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Arrow You are correct but miss the point

Quote:
Originally Posted by loumaag View Post
If you think, as I have seen some say, that if the audio section leaves the site will flounder, you are wrong. The move in incorporate ScanAmerica into RadioReference didn't happen until 2009. By that time RadioReference was already the largest scanner site on the Internet. Those folks who have feeds on RadioReference seem to be upset about the move, well the whole audio section has only been in existence for a little over 3 years and it certainly is still not the focus or the main thrust of RadioReference.
Lou. while all of your points are things that have been said, NONE of them apply to my position. I agree with you on ALL of your points, especially including the fact that RR will continue to flourish w/o streaming, just as it did before.

But you see, that is the issue. Many of us stream because we support RR. It doesn't matter if it improves RR 1% or 100%, overall it has made it better and attracted people to this site.

AFAIK all stream providers do so at their own expense. For many it is dedicated scanners and/or computers. Other than the "feel good" aspect of providing streams, the one benefit providers got was a premium subscription on RR.

I never used the streaming feature of RR for myself. I only used it to check my own streams. Therefore I do not see using Broadcastify, regardless of whether a casual listner or with a premium subscription. But our costs to stream will continue, and many will also now have to pay for RR (if they choose). AND since streaming is now supporting a separate site, one which likely be sold in the future, there's not a lot of incentive to continue FOR THE SOLE GOOD OF RR.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:19 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Then shut down your stream. Plain and simple. No amount of whining and complaining and lying to promote a conspiracy theory is going to get you the RR premium sub after the change so if that's your sticking point, just do it already and stop complaining.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using some Tappity Talkity thing.

Last edited by KD0TAZ; 10-16-2012 at 11:21 AM..
Old 10-16-2012, 11:50 AM

Loumagg,
GREAT POST!

Also,
KD0TAZ,

I like how you put that. "Shut down your feed, Plain and Simple"!

Perhaps someone should just close this thread.......
Don't be fooled, I'm not a LEO!
Old 10-17-2012, 5:29 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon View Post
In the 1990s and through much of the 2000s people had to pay $$$ to have feeds hosted on high capacity servers (i.e. Live365, leased ShoutCast servers, etc.). I think people should be thankful that Broadcastify gives them the ability to host feeds for free.
Just to clarify, I have a VPS with icecast2 capability which cost me $6.50 a month. The advantage? You can customize access, advertising and visibility to your liking.

I personally have started my 2 streams here on RR to help out the greater community. My final decision whether to continue will be based on the new site coming online. I can easily switch over to my VPS at any time. My VPS has the capacity for about 20 streams as well. If users get bombarded with advertisements then I think its a no brainer.

Please note: This is not trolling, critizising or flaming in any way. I am just giving my opinion.
Old 10-17-2012, 8:44 AM

Location: Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the skeeters.
Default 'gr8rcall', NO! We need this thread open

for one good reason. I can read the posts by those who are against the Broadcastify system. By reading those items, I can see how my posts would have been if I had not done some research and observations. Some times it gets down right entertaining by the statements being posted. Other times, just shake my head. Hope I made sense...
Old 10-17-2012, 8:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafdav View Post
for one good reason. I can read the posts by those who are against the Broadcastify system. By reading those items, I can see how my posts would have been if I had not done some research and observations. Some times it gets down right entertaining by the statements being posted. Other times, just shake my head. Hope I made sense...
You certainly made sense. I just jumped the gun a little bit because I'm tired of seeing stupid posts by people who want to put down Lindsay and staff. Just got a little upset.
Old 10-17-2012, 7:59 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonE View Post
Have you looked into the cost of the bandwidth to host 3600+ scanner feeds (which includes the audio data coming into the server as well as relaying the audio to thousands of listeners (there are 21,000+ people listening at this moment)), the cost of running the 7 servers that are involved in providing the audio feeds, as well as the cost of running the 5 servers which archive the audio, as well as the cost of storing archived audio from 3600+ feeds for several months?

-- Gordon
Didnt you provide a summary of costs at one time ? Im to lazy to look it up though lol

Running off a Pro-197
Old 10-17-2012, 8:05 PM
Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbjr View Post
Didnt you provide a summary of costs at one time ? Im to lazy to look it up though lol
I haven't but I believe Lindsay has in the past.
Sponsored links
Old 10-17-2012, 8:13 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Doh!!!! LOL sorry about that. I just looked and couldnt find it,but it seemed like he did a break down of it once.

Running off a Pro-197
Old 10-18-2012, 4:34 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Loaded poll questions anyone?

Gee these poll questions aren't loaded or anything. That being said, I'll have to wait until the new site is completely online to evaluate any if there is any new benefit to offset the loss of the RR membership. So far the only thing that caught my interest are the feed alerts.
Old 10-18-2012, 7:02 PM
Founder and CEO
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD0TAZ View Post
I did as well. Just more baseless brainless conspiracy crap to fuel their "cause".

The problem in America is that we pay too much attention to the "Loudmouthed Vocal Minority". Its the same reason we have "Decency Police" for TV and radio filing lawsuits "in the name of the people" and calling for firings and resignations any time someone shows a sideboob or makes an off-color comment on broadcast. They don't speak for the majority.

Ignore them. Let them drop their feeds and have their feeling of victory over the evil corporate empire. When they see that their stupid little boycott has zero effect, they'll eventually slink back and put it back up under a pseudonym. And if they don't, oh well. Someone else will eventually step up to fill the void.

I tell you what, this dude summed it up quite nicely and is spot on.

We've still got a lot of work to do before the transition from RadioReference to Broadcastify is final and complete, but, I figured I'd share some stats:

9/10/2012 - We made the Broadcastify announcement

9/11/2012 - an active and vocal minority came completely unglued, and a few feed providers immediately terminated their feeds.

9/26/2012 - calls for a feed provider boycott

10/3/2012 - radioreference reaches a record of 3,338 online feeds

10/17/2012 - broadcastify does a soft launch to the public (view and listen to feeds only)

10/17/2012 - radioreference again reaches the 3,338 online feeds mark, the most ever in the history of the site

10/18/2012 - as of the time of this post we have 3,312 feeds online and broadcasting

Old 10-18-2012, 7:06 PM

So, their "Boycott" didn't work!
Old 10-19-2012, 11:13 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by blantonl View Post
I tell you what, this dude summed it up quite nicely and is spot on.

9/11/2012 - an active and vocal minority came completely unglued, and a few feed providers immediately terminated their feeds.

10/18/2012 - as of the time of this post we have 3,312 feeds online and broadcasting
To both of you: Well stated! As of right now (10/19/2012 at 10:31 CDT) I see 3320 reported feeds on the Broadcastify website.

Just for the record, I'm one of those "change is bad" types of guys. However, I discovered RadioReference when I became a bit overwhelmed with my first digital trunking scanner (yeah, I'm still a 'newbie'). I liked what I found here and subscribed. Then I discovered the audio feeds. When one feed for my area disappeared, I felt that it might be kind of neat to start a feed of my own. I gave it some thought, found a lot of interesting "how to" articles here and then decided to just plunge in, whether or not I completely understood what I was doing (I didn't).

Scanners have been a hobby of mine for a long time, and here I found a home with some kindred spirits. I started the feed because I thought it would be fun. I continue the feed not only because it continues to be fun for me, but I also derive some satisfaction from knowing that others are listening to it and enjoying it. I wish those who "came completely unglued" had considered this: The only ones who "lose" are those who enjoyed your feeds.

I've explored the new Broadcastify website and I like it. What I continue to subscribe to in the future is not certain, but I have no plans to take my bat and ball to another playground. I still like it here, and I like it "over there", too. Nice job, guys! But please tell me, where do you buy your cast-iron underwear? ;-}

Dave In Minneapolis

Minneapolis, Richfield Police and Fire, Minneapolis Park and Metro Transit Police Live Audio Feed
Old 10-21-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Then shut down your stream. Plain and simple. No amount of whining and complaining and lying to promote a conspiracy theory is going to get you the RR premium sub after the change so if that's your sticking point, just do it already and stop complaining.

Thank you I am taking my leave. After 3 years my stream is offically offline.
Sponsored links
Old 10-21-2012, 4:39 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
Thank you I am taking my leave. After 3 years my stream is offically offline.
Don't let the door hit you in the @ss on the way out.

Old 10-22-2012, 5:45 PM

Wow, so staff responding to negative feedback and legitimate*boycotts with pompous, smug retorts, 'too bad' mentality, and outright hostility to opposing viewpoints. *Sounds like a certain political party...sad times we live in...I feel bad for you people.

Oh well, just another sinking ship amongst troubled waters. As for the peanut gallery, keep it classy.
Old 10-22-2012, 9:29 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satire View Post
Wow, so staff responding to negative feedback and legitimate*boycotts with pompous, smug retorts, 'too bad' mentality, and outright hostility to opposing viewpoints. *Sounds like a certain political party...sad times we live in...I feel bad for you people.

Oh well, just another sinking ship amongst troubled waters. As for the peanut gallery, keep it classy.
For the record, I am not a staff member. I simply post here, and I own a stream here. A stream that I started, by the way, knowing full well of the broadcastify deal.

This place isn't a democracy, its a company. You don't get a say in company decisions. But if you don't like what's going on, you're free to leave.

Its too bad you're such a puss that you had to make a new user to say what was on your mind though. I hope the staff cross references your IP to find out what your real account is and outs you. Coward.

Last edited by KD0TAZ; 10-22-2012 at 9:32 PM..
Old 10-23-2012, 9:46 AM

Quote:
For the record, I am not a staff member. I simply post here, and I own a stream here. A stream that I started, by the way, knowing full well of the broadcastify deal.

This place isn't a democracy, its a company. You don't get a say in company decisions. But if you don't like what's going on, you're free to leave.

Its too bad you're such a puss that you had to make a new user to say what was on your mind though. I hope the staff cross references your IP to find out what your real account is and outs you. Coward.
Maybe he's one our our recently banned members...., or something like that.
That's really cheap to do that, Satire!
WHY????????

Last edited by gr8rcall; 10-23-2012 at 9:48 AM..
Old 10-23-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
If you are inferring that was me it wasn't so go ahead and lookup the IP addressess. I was just reading thru this thread and responded to one of the posts plain and simple. I said nothing negative or inflammatory and my post was on topic, unlike yours. Your the one that got your panties in a bunch. Based on the post I responded to I thought you would be pleased.

I have been a member here since 2006 and was streaming for 3 years and I do not wish to continue because unlike you I was streaming well before the changes so I shut it down which was my decision. I will remain a paid member and will continue to support this site.