RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Everything else

Everything else Wow, you made it this far and still not sure? Oh well, post it here anyway

View Poll Results: Are you...
A. Shutting down my feed with the Broadcastify changeover? 17 51.52%
B. Going to continue making money for Broadcastify with my content? 16 48.48%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 4:28 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Who's Leaving Due to Broadcastify?

Just looking for a raise of hands, how many of you feed providers are shutting off and moving on or doing other things with your feeds after the changeover to Broadcastify?

I have heard from 9 other feed providers now through email and PM that are going dark on October 14th.
Sponsored links
Old 09-26-2012, 7:50 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Moved to everything else??? Really?

Boy the admins on RR sure are getting testy about losing money now aren't they!
Old 09-26-2012, 8:49 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I just started one much like this at the same time you did lol. I am not pleased with this mess. I mean they are making money off our feeds. We the ones spending the money for them to just push us around
Old 09-26-2012, 8:51 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0nly View Post
Moved to everything else??? Really?

Boy the admins on RR sure are getting testy about losing money now aren't they!
I had no idea this was even down there. LOL I guess I have never scrolled all the way down but who does?
Old 09-26-2012, 8:55 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Other than loosing a few RR features (free classifieds, automatic database access, etc), there isn't anything else bad about this, and a lot can be gained from the separation. We now have room to grow and get "cool" features and become more visible rather than being stuck in a corner of Radio Reference, which most Joe Blow scanner listeners have no interest or idea it even exists. I look forward to the growth and all the new features coming.

I will say loosing the premium database feature is disappointing though.

Last edited by jsncrso; 09-26-2012 at 8:58 PM..
Sponsored links

Old 09-26-2012, 9:40 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

It is a disappointment, and have tossed the idea around many times to turn my scanner off when this rolls around. And I have a rather large scanner audio base, which has topped off 1000 + listeners before, and am almost always in the top 50 each night.

If I do "go dark" I will re-transmit my audio somewhere else (private).
Old 09-26-2012, 11:14 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsncrso View Post
Other than loosing a few RR features (free classifieds, automatic database access, etc), there isn't anything else bad about this, and a lot can be gained from the separation. We now have room to grow and get "cool" features and become more visible rather than being stuck in a corner of Radio Reference, which most Joe Blow scanner listeners have no interest or idea it even exists. I look forward to the growth and all the new features coming.

I will say loosing the premium database feature is disappointing though.
Its more then that though...

Your listeners will get capped at two hours per, they have to reload/restart their player every two hours, they will also be subject to advertisements and that means more push to make money off your feed.

The database access loss sucks. I have already held off updating the database with information i have as a protest and shut down one of my feeds. The remaining feed will go soon as well. If they won't keep it how it was then i will just use my scanners for personal amusement and nothing else.

They will give us a $6.95 a month freebie on the new site, but i would much rather have the $2.50 a month freebie we get here now.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:19 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLH View Post
It is a disappointment, and have tossed the idea around many times to turn my scanner off when this rolls around. And I have a rather large scanner audio base, which has topped off 1000 + listeners before, and am almost always in the top 50 each night.

If I do "go dark" I will re-transmit my audio somewhere else (private).
I will be dumping three counties in MN and three counties in SD are already dumped. I don't rate as high as you do but i constantly run across people that listen to my feeds merely because they can't afford a scanner. If they can't afford a scanner they might also not want to pay $6.95 a month for it.. So i have a feeling many listeners will stop listening due to money and many feed providers will drop out because of the principal of it, and maybe due to also seeing their feed following drop off to where its not worth it anymore.

No listeners means why feed?

I plan on having mine private too, one feed already is for my own personal use.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:31 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have now officially received a warning for speaking out on this manner...

I can see where this site is headed now. Guess all the admins/mods have been paid off.

Last edited by kb0nly; 09-26-2012 at 11:48 PM..
Sponsored links

Old 09-26-2012, 11:47 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Just received.... Yes i am posting it, i don't have anything to hide.

Dear kb0nly,

You have received a warning at The RadioReference.com Forums.

Reason:
-------
Thread disruption via trolling or flaming

Scott,

Please understand that I am saddened by this seemingly complete reversal of your attitude from helper to hinderer. I am not a broadcaster but I do understand that you feel frustration at what you perceive to be actions out of your control. However, you are now trolling looking for comment and we are not going allow it. The thread this post was in was specifically for questions from the membership and answers from the Live Audio Team. You have continually tried to avoid those two points and this post is another in that vein. Since you have had several posts already deleted, it is time for an official warning.
-------

How is asking questions which keep getting deleted, valid questions that are NOT being answered considered trolling/flaming?

I guess thats how they define asking questions that pertain to them making money now. Sweep it under the rug and move on...
Old 09-26-2012, 11:51 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

In the 1990s and through much of the 2000s people had to pay $$$ to have feeds hosted on high capacity servers (i.e. Live365, leased ShoutCast servers, etc.). I think people should be thankful that Broadcastify gives them the ability to host feeds for free.

As for database importing the best solution is FreeSCAN using the EZ-Grab feature. It does wonders and is a helluva lot easier for custom importing than vs directly from the database IMHO.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:57 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have never paid for feed hosting... I just serve from home. But i can see how some high traffic feeds wouldn't be able to do that.

FreeSCAN doesn't work on the older Uniden models though, otherwise that would be nice.
Old 09-27-2012, 2:39 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I can't say I'm 100% content with the change, but I'll be staying (probably 95% of my use of the current premium subscription is the feed archives, though, so if I didn't stay I'd probably end up paying the $6.95/month fee).

Quote:
Your listeners will get capped at two hours per, they have to reload/restart their player every two hours
This will be/is only the case for the web player. (I never use the web player, so I don't know if that's something that already existed.)

Quote:
they will also be subject to advertisements and that means more push to make money off your feed.
They are already subject to advertisements (banner ads), and I believe they have been for some time.

Quote:
If they can't afford a scanner they might also not want to pay $6.95 a month for it..
Listening to feeds is going to remain free.
Old 09-27-2012, 7:35 AM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
How is asking questions which keep getting deleted, valid questions that are NOT being answered considered trolling/flaming?
The questions you asked were already answered... They've answered them again for your reminder. It's quite clear that the thread is for Q&A - if you want to whine, start a new thread (i.e. this one.)
Old 09-27-2012, 7:50 AM
Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
...If they can't afford a scanner they might also not want to pay $6.95 a month for it.. So i have a feeling many listeners will stop listening due to money and many feed providers will drop out because of the principal of it, and maybe due to also seeing their feed following drop off to where its not worth it anymore.
Everyone will *still* be able to listen to all of the scanner feeds on the new site, just like today. The $6.95 subscription would be needed to listen to the audio archives (part of that amount goes towards paying for the storage to hold 6 months of audio for 3600+ feeds).

-- Gordon
Sponsored links

Old 09-27-2012, 7:52 AM
Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:

I guess thats how they define asking questions that pertain to them making money now. Sweep it under the rug and move on...
Incorrect, only the posts that contained no questions or only rhetorical questions were deleted, you'll notice that your other posts which *did* contain questions were not deleted.
Old 09-27-2012, 9:16 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Dumb, Dumb, DUMB, what the heck, why is this happening? Why are there posts being deleted? What is there to hide? My feed will be shutdown soon, unless there is tranceparency with this process. Secrets are lies... There is no need for this switch, so why is this continuing?
Old 09-27-2012, 9:32 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

WOW a warning lol. Guess we geting some people upset. Here is the point, Admin keeps deleting stuff because they are scared or they are hidding something. Who knows. But the point remains is this. They get to build some new scancrapyfi whatever web site and make money. Why because there is money to be made and I am guessing enough to start a new site and charge more money a month. Now lets think about this for a min.......... OK I go to work and I get paid for my job. I am pleased with what I do and also with my pay for what I do. if I was not I would leave and find another job. So why are they making money off our work? Because some of us enjoy tinkering with this yes and some feel they are doing a service yes. But the fact is they are making the money and shafting us with a stupid $7 a month thing to a site I will not use. They have the power not us right??? WRONG!!! Without feeds to send to them no money for them..... Just food for thought
Old 09-27-2012, 9:39 PM
Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Have you looked into the cost of the bandwidth to host 3600+ scanner feeds (which includes the audio data coming into the server as well as relaying the audio to thousands of listeners (there are 21,000+ people listening at this moment)), the cost of running the 7 servers that are involved in providing the audio feeds, as well as the cost of running the 5 servers which archive the audio, as well as the cost of storing archived audio from 3600+ feeds for several months?

-- Gordon
Old 09-27-2012, 9:48 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

My guess is - no. They are just here to whine. It appears neither of them even read one bit of the original notification post.