RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Everything else

Everything else Wow, you made it this far and still not sure? Oh well, post it here anyway

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 4:54 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default Rules

It seems that there are so many rules and whistle blowers on this forum its not even worth looking at it anymore. Every day there is some moderator complaining about a post or a repeated post. how about come up with a solution to the problem instead of just complaining? Maybe we should make this forum more user friendly and easier to navigate. "issued a full infraction by the system." what a joke...An in fraction???i thought this was for a hobby and fun? seems like its more about complaining and a bunch of crotchety old men on here anymore. Try relaxing and if someone makes a mistake guide them to the right answers and not warn anyone about anything. no one likes a whistle blower or a wanna be hero. this is a radio and scanner forum isnt it? where we come for help and to enjoy the hobby?
Sponsored links
Old 04-01-2013, 6:21 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemansteve6921 View Post
It seems that there are so many rules and whistle blowers on this forum its not even worth looking at it anymore. Every day there is some moderator complaining about a post or a repeated post. how about come up with a solution to the problem instead of just complaining? Maybe we should make this forum more user friendly and easier to navigate. "issued a full infraction by the system." what a joke...An in fraction???i thought this was for a hobby and fun? seems like its more about complaining and a bunch of crotchety old men on here anymore. Try relaxing and if someone makes a mistake guide them to the right answers and not warn anyone about anything. no one likes a whistle blower or a wanna be hero. this is a radio and scanner forum isnt it? where we come for help and to enjoy the hobby?
On the odd chance that this is not an April Fool's Day, flame-bait post, that belongs in the rant-forum, here are some thoughts:

Quote:
...so many rules...
While regularly visiting this site since 2009, I do not recall a lot of additions to the rules--meaning the rules have been here and stayed basically steady as a set for a long time.

Quote:
...its not even worth looking at it anymore.
Looking will never earn someone a moderator's-comment or violation; improper interaction might.

Quote:
Every day there is some moderator complaining about a post or a repeated post. how about come up with a solution to the problem instead of just complaining?
The first and best solution is the personal-responsibility of the person who wishes to participate in this privately-owned site. Read the rules and be a mature person. If you agree to follow them, then welcome. If not, then don't complain, but also don't try to force your way in with your own set of rules. If you disagree with the rules, be a mature person and use the Private Messaging system, or standard e-mail, and contact the site-owner or the appropriate moderator(s) with your questions and suggestions.

If you have suggestions about other solutions, whether automated or procedural or whatever, use the PM feature and contact the moderator(s) with your ideas, or clearly describe your solutions in the proper forum.

Quote:
Maybe we should make this forum more user friendly and easier to navigate.
If you have specific navigational questions, comments, or suggestions, use a mature approach and make them known in the proper forum.

Quote:
i thought this was for a hobby and fun?
Your radio hobby is fun for you (I assume), much like other people's radio hobbies are fun for them. However, when you consider this site, it is not a hobby. It is a business, and is a very nice resource for intelligent, academic-level discussions, funny anecdotal discussions, and much in-between. This site is not a hobby. It is a resource made available by a private individual for the benefit of hobbyists.

This privately-owned and privately-run site, like many online "communities", has a set of rules for the intended purpose of making the experiences most beneficial and enjoyable for all who care to observe and/or participate. In case you have not tried searching forum-posts for useful facts (more than just opinions), they can be increasingly difficult to find in threads when anyone and everyone is allowed to hijack the same thread with their own questions. By having rules about thread-hijacking, the forum posts are "naturally" organized, compact, concise, limited-in-scope, etc. which makes it much more efficicent, for everyone who wants to use this site for intentional hobby-related research, to search and actually find relevant data quickly.

For people who want to congregate on here and "rag-chew", as some hams call it, there are places in the forums for that.

Quote:
...seems like its more about complaining and a bunch of crotchety old men on here anymore. Try relaxing and if someone makes a mistake guide them to the right answers and not warn anyone about anything. no one likes a whistle blower or a wanna be hero. this is a radio and scanner forum isnt it? where we come for help and to enjoy the hobby?
Without commenting on your personal remarks about the moderators or other community members, I would suggest that you review moderators posts when they are giving administrative instructions to misguided forum-users. I might be wrong, but I believe that, in general, you will find their statements to be both informative about the rules involved, and informative as a guide on what should be done and where they can more properly have the conversation and find the information or assistance they might be requesting. I don't know of any moderators on here that don't at least try to steer conversations in the right direction. Whether or not the OP or thread-hijacker wants to follow the suggestion is another issue.

If you have read a moderator's post with regards to someone else's conversation, and you still have a question, use the Private Messaging feature and contact the moderator directly with your follow-up question--in a mature adult-like manner. You might be surprised what positive results will be possible.

If you have received a moderator's comment about one of your own posts, and still don't understand the moderator's statements, then use the PM feature to follow-up and politely ask them for clarification.

Quote:
...this is a radio and scanner forum isnt it? where we come for help and to enjoy the hobby?
Now, after all of the above, if you have truly come here for help and have a sincere question about radios and/or scanners and are not a troll, flame-baiting on April Fool's Day, there are probably a lot of people on here that can and are willing to assist. All it takes from anyone with a question is a gently-phrased, well-thought question. Do you have one that you would like to ask? If so, then please do go to the related forum and post. We might all learn something from the answers and enjoy our hobbies more.
Old 04-01-2013, 6:53 PM

Default Kudos to QDP2012

My compliments to you, sir, for such a well written and masterfully measured response to the original post.

All an individual has to do is remember....that they are a guest....and act like one.

We all know of other sites that are less tolerant, and that have considerably less overall breadth of knowledge in so many diverse topics.

And I don't know of another site that can give the comedy channel such a run for its money....(in the appropriate forums)
Old 04-01-2013, 7:18 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Default Topic Closed

To the OP

I will provide some guidance to you here, as you requested. Please read this:
Complaints Toward Moderator Activity

While I realize it is just one more rule you have to read and follow, at least I haven't hammered you with an infraction.
Old 04-02-2013, 8:32 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

All we ask is that members read and comply with the rules, as they agree to when signing up here. Some other forums will just outright ban you if they don't like you. Here we give you a chance and allow the infraction points system to punish the account based on the rules broken. This is generally what will lead to a ban. Not us manually banning a member.
Please follow the forum rules and contact a moderator directly, not via a thread.
Sponsored links
Closed Thread