RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Everything else

Everything else Wow, you made it this far and still not sure? Oh well, post it here anyway

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 12:51 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default Question about Shipping

Hi Guys. I just have a quick question for my American Friends. Please dont take this the wrong way, I am looking for an honest answer as I am trying to find some logic behind it.

Why are SO Many Americans unwilling to ship to Canada...especially if the buyer is willing to pay for the shipping? I offered to buy something on the classified but the seller would not send it across the border. I have run into this problem time and time again on both RR and eBay. I just do not understand so I am hoping someone can fill me in on what I am missing. I have shipped items across Canada and into the USA...the price doesnt change and the only difference is to fill out a customs declaration.

Someone help me understand the fear lol
Sponsored links
Old 09-18-2013, 1:24 PM

I've done lots of cross-border buying and selling (I'm in Vancouver) and sometimes find that it's just unfamiliarity with the process. I have successfully convinced some sellers into shipping via USPS to me by walking them through the process including sending links to the relevant forms.

Some sellers (authorized dealers of a vendor) won't sell to Canada because their agreement with the manufacturer prohibits such sales and that is perfectly understandable.

If I need to place an order with someone that doesn't ship to Canada (not just eBay but bricks and mortar outfits) then I used a parcel receiving service located in Blaine, WA, just a short drive (and a longer wait for US and Canadian Customs) from Vancouver.

Often I order and intentionally specify my WA state address to take advantage of lower cost (or free) shipping options, plus, most of the time and especially for high value shipments, clearing the shipment through customs myself even when accounting for gas and my time is cheaper than paying a courier.
Old 09-18-2013, 3:08 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Why? It costs three times as much. The Post office has tons of red tape (USA) I shipped once and it was a nightmare they wanted to know every item in the box, ie screws, nuts, brackets, cords, etc. Then there could not be any other markings on the shipping box, (dog food) Cakes)in any case I had to remove all the other things on the shipping box. Of Course they wanted me to buy ther $9.00 box. Oh ya they wanted to know the weights of the items in the box. VE7WV had the right idea U.P.S.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:19 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Makes sense I guess in principal...its a pain in the ***. I dont know why there is so much of a hassle. To mail from Canada to any other country is no different then mailing to my neighbor. If its an international they even fill out the customs form for you and weigh your package. I dont get it why USA has to be so complicated lol
Old 09-19-2013, 8:21 AM

I suspect the reason more people don't want to ship to canada is due to the horror stories of Canadian customs thinking a 25 year old Motorola MT-1000 is still worth $1000 and also not really understanding the paperwork that is required if not using the postal service and also not wanting to pay the fees if not using the postal service.

It is easier to use the postal service to ship small pieces internationally but I don't use the postal service. I will be happy to ship to canada if the recipient will pay the fees, duties and wait for the extended transit times, customs clearance and potential headaches and surprises on their end. When they find out how much that is, they tend to change their own mind.
Sponsored links
Old 09-29-2013, 12:06 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I have shipped to Canada a few time and it is a P.I.T.A. to fill out the paper work. It does cost 2 to 3 times as much. Usually what i do is take a stack of the customs forms so i have them on hand and fill it all out at home before i hit the post office. I usually guess the weights have not had a problem yet. I will assume it is because we don't have patience to do it.
Old 09-29-2013, 4:47 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Moved to the Tavern. This is not feedback for a transaction.
Please follow the forum rules and contact a moderator directly, not via a thread.

Tags
greed is good, miles of red tape