RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Everything else

Everything else Wow, you made it this far and still not sure? Oh well, post it here anyway

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2014, 4:20 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default GPS

Which GPS would you recommend. I have tried 3 that I did not like. I now have a Tom Tom (it says VIA 1605 M on the box).

I like it better than the other 3. I am sure there is not one the is 100% accurate, but which one woujld you reccommed.

Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 06-02-2014, 8:21 PM
Mentor
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.2; en-us; SAMSUNG SM-P605V Build/KOT49H) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.5 Chrome/28.0.1500.94 Safari/537.36)

In the long run, sales of standalone GPS units are on the decline as maps apps on ssmartphones grow in capabilites. But if I were to buy a new standalone piece, I'd spring for the largest screen (> 5" I think) Garmin.

A possible downside is that there may be just one or two updates a year. Google Maps and Verizon Navigator are routinely updated, and I like to see what's around me when stopping someplace we've not been before.

I almost bought the new Garmin before driving around New Mexico last month, but finally opted to just take the phone. Less to pack and lose. VZ Navigator did just great.

YMMV. HTH.
Old 06-02-2014, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Which GPS would you recommend. I have tried 3 that I did not like. I now have a Tom Tom (it says VIA 1605 M on the box).

I like it better than the other 3. I am sure there is not one the is 100% accurate, but which one woujld you reccommed.

Thanks

GPS receivers like Tom Tom or garmin Nuvi, ect are only going to give you, at BEST, 2-5m(2-30m realistic)horizontal resolution, even with WAAS. Realistically, a cell phone, using at least 3 cell sites to determine it's location, will be more accurate.

To get below 2m will require A reference station operating in RTK mode.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2014, 6:47 PM

cell phones use the cell towers AND GPS.... multi-mode positioning <-- is what i like to call it :P

android, and iphones have GPS capability, but can use just cell towers if needed. you CAN force the maps app to only use cell based locating, but by default it uses GPS, and Cell

Whats a Profile?!?!

HELP ME!! I CANT FIGURE OUT WHAT THOSE ARE!!!

Semper Fi my Marine Corps Brothers!

OOOOORAH!!
Old 06-04-2014, 3:23 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Ok, thanks
Sponsored links