Update on CAP Transition

Status
Not open for further replies.

chankel

Premium Subscriber
Another unrestricted CAP article indicated that CTCSS 100 Hz would be replaced with NAC $3E8 as the common squelch on repeaters but would not be used for local communications, and that the new equipment would be dual-coded to respond to $3E8 for initial contact and a locally assigned NAC for general use. Tactical repeaters would be using NAC $7F3.

Other open-source articles indicated that other new equipment will include low-band military-type transceivers operating 26 MHz AM and 38-41 MHz FM. These would be installed mainly in aircraft and communications vehicles. Original source material (still valid?) for the new frequency assignments did not show 154.28, 156.# marine, or 155.475 among the programmed frequencies.

Actual very current frequency information has been made unavailable due to security concerns; only those with proper credentials signed in to official CAP websites can access this information, and several memos have been issued (starting around 2004-2005) reminding members not to disclose frequency information.

Based on the information given in the link on this thread, even if CAP had OTAR capabilities in the event of a need to change frequencies, the problem is that all of their radios would have to be re-keyed to maintain the 100% standardiziation across all groups, wings, etc.

D

DaveNF2G

The only secret frequency is the one that is never used. Once CAP starts using their new frequencies, the technical parameters will be known.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
I heard New Hampshire CAP units doing a net on 148.15R the other night. And I think I heard a Massachusetts CAP unit on 148.15R or 148.125R a couple of nights before that. Both were analog, FM, 20K0F3E, no scrambling, no encryption, clear speech. Peter Sz

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
Still hear the Southern California CAP on these repeaters.

148.1500 CTCSS 186.2 Santiago Peak - Orange county (7:00pm Evening Net)
142.2625 CTCSS 167.9 unknown location - both heard from San Diego county
142.2625 CTCSS 186.2 unknown location - Both heard from San Diego county (7:00pm Evening Net)

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
13 Nov 2008 - 2006 EST - Massachusetts Civil Air Patrol units doing a net - 148.15R - clear analog FM - apparently the primary repeater for the net is west of Boston somewhere - (I was just hearing a 2ndary repeater apparently - maybe Waltham) - units were "Patriot XX or Patriot XXX"

Peter Sz

Status
Not open for further replies.