Federal freq List for Indianapolis,Indiana

Status
Not open for further replies.

W9NES

Can anyone in the Indianapolis,Indiana area post a current list of active frequencies.I used to be able to monitor GSA Security at the Federal Buliding at 575 N. Penn in the clear and now that sound like they went digital or p-25.Looking for FBI, BATF, USPS, ETC.I would like to set up a monitor in my Comm center to monitor Federal activity in the Indianapolis,Indiana area.Please feel free to send me a pm or you may e-mail me at my primary e-mail address W9nes@Comcast.net Thank You For Your Time,Best Requards, Tim DeLong W9NES Indianapolis,Indiana

Gilligan

Database Admin
If you are in a communications center, hook your radio up to a good antenna and search 163, 165, 167, & 170 MHz ranges. Lots of FBI, BATF, & Customs to be found there. And there should be quite a bit in a metro like that. Also 163.200 & 164.600 for Marshals.

W9NES

Thanks Gilligan for you input.Still need a vaild list of frequencies for Indianapolis,Indiana that have been confirmed by members in Indianapolis.Thank You.

Gilligan

Database Admin
This page at totse.com yields this info:
FBI Indianapolis Field Off. 163.9625/167.2125 IN.F.O.R.A. PA/ECC-1

I would take this to mean that the Indianapolis field office has their Ch 1 repeater on 163.9625 w/ input of 167.2125. I'd scan both if I were you. Of course, the data on that page is at least as old as 2001.

Last edited:

SOFA_KING

That "list" is the worst thing I have ever seen. ECC-1? That is so old! We are talking 1980's here. That is two generations old. I'm sorry, but that is total crap.

I wish I could help you, but I'm not around that area. Observations in two major city areas show that FBI has the main group in 167 MHz region, but rural channels tend to be 168 to 171 MHz. Inputs are in the 163 to 164 area, but now with P25 systems entering I do not know for sure. 167 MHz would appear to still be the major area. Anyway, I would not go by that list!

N9LLO

Not quite Indianapolis but up here in Kokomo at the site where my Ham repeater lives (444.025 131.8)
There is a Motorola box with a label that reads "FBI EQUIPMENT 169.125 MHZ" Never heard anything on that freq but I dont listen a lot either.

Chris
N9LLO

Gilligan

Database Admin
That "list" is the worst thing I have ever seen. ECC-1? That is so old! We are talking 1980's here. That is two generations old.
I will make a comment here and say that in many areas (outside the northeast), it seems as though the FBI is the last to upgrade to P25, and so they are still using systems that have been in place this long. ECC, as you probably know, stands for Extended Car-to-Car, which basically means repeater. With the research I've done in Oklahoma, it appears that their current system is probably upwards of 20 years old. All I'm saying is that at least it would be a place to start and the possibility exists that the repeater is still in use.

Not quite Indianapolis but up here in Kokomo at the site where my Ham repeater lives (444.025 131.8). There is a Motorola box with a label that reads "FBI EQUIPMENT 169.125 MHZ" Never heard anything on that freq but I dont listen a lot either.
To me, this kind of information is very accurate. Obviously, the best information is that which we ourselves hear on the radio. But having access to view their own equipment is just as legitimate. And it goes to say that the repeater we're discussing is probably 20 years old. And just because nothing has been heard does not rule out the possibility of it being used very infrequently or during surveillance operations.

I have the Master Frequency File and another federal frequency book as well, both of which are many years old. I've found that some of the information is good and some of it is not. The Forest Service data is very accurate but some other agencies do not appear to be so. But I still look at the information. My point is that all information, if valid at one time, should be considered when searching out these agencies' systems. Many of them are (thankfully) slow to upgrade.

SOFA_KING

I hear what you are saying. Back in the 70's and early 80's the "B of I" systems were for the most part hi in / low out. Sometime in the 80's they flipped them to low in / high out. When I see a list with the old format, I discard it. But then one day back around 2000 or so I heard the old National Rptr 163.8625 light up near my home area with the correct tone. It sounded like an alarm was tripped. There was also some voice traffic about it on the local E3 channel, so someone had a radio listening on it. I never heard it again (I think they pulled the plug), but it is still in my scan list. For all we know that freq is used for simplex now. My thoughts on it? Old equipment and even though it is still there, nothing is being done with it. No tests, no traffic, no maintenance. Just forgotten or neglected.

As far as that 169 freq, it makes sense to me because most of the RA areas have them up above 167. The core 167 system is designed around major city areas. The outside freqs are unique in each area and in rural areas beyond the city they are used for operations traffic at RA outposts. There are few Rptrs in the Ft. Lauderdale area below 167, but not many...and they do not get much use. Even in the city areas there is the core system and then the more local outside repeater which again is an odd and unique frequency. Alpha 1,2,3 are linked here in different counties to cover a wide area. This is the main ops link to the main office. Bravo's are tac, Echo's are those odd repeaters outside the main group and serving RA's. I have been tracking this stuff in several major city areas for many years and have a fair understanding of it. Still, those simplex channels are hard to nail. In the NY area they would pop up in many places. This area is still in transition. I only hear P25 on the Alpha group. The others are still analog.

On another note, I got my PRO197 yesterday and my first NAC hit on 167.4875 (used to be A3...maybe it still is) of NAC 167 here in SE FL. Yeah! I got all my major stuff programmed up as dual mode (P25 & PL) and NO MORE NOISE FROM CSQ! I love this hobby and I love this scanner! It is HOT and the features are awesome! I was pulling out 200+ miles searching with a slight tropo to the north. The search locked on any code in an instant! This thing is so cool!!! :cool:

Phil :)

Last edited:

W9NES

Hello To all,I just set up my Uniden BC 996 T for Federal Goverment frequencies in Indianapolis.If anyone in the Indianapolis ,Indiana area has frequencies that would be great.I have already found a couple here being used.If anyone has any would appreceite a pm or e-mail me direct at W9nes@Comcast.net Thanks for the Help.Best Requards, Tim DeLong W9NES Indianapolis

Status
Not open for further replies.