Question of the Day - Mixed Mode Operation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOFA_KING

How much mixed mode operation do you hear after an agency has gone P25? Does any agency really have analog programmed in, and from time to time go back to it? Should we be scanning P25 and analog "just in case"?

The reason I ask is because the increased scan time it takes to scan channels twice (P25 and then analog with PL) may not be worth it. Scanner manufactures did not have the foresight to give us a "list" of modes and codes to put on each frequency channel. It would have been much better to have done that so you didn't have to enter a freq channel twice (or more for multi PL). Yes, you could put your channels (on GRE scanners) as Auto & Search to detect any P25 or PL/DPL code, but then "open" CSQ noise becomes problematic. I hate noise! How much better it would have been if we could have entered lists of both P25 NAC codes (including the search NAC function) and PL/DPL codes on the same frequency entry. It would save space and time!

But I really want to know if anyone hears both modes used after an agency is fully converted to P25. I have heard the USCG NET 112, which is 99.9% P25, key up with 100.0 Hz PL one time, and nothing was said. But is it worth scanning all my P25 channels with analog backup as well?

Phil :cool:

Last edited:

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
Here is my list of mix mode repeaters in the fed band in Southern California.

171.1625 - NAC 455 - P25 - (Mix mode) ctcss 110.9 'Light House'
171.7250 - NAC 455 - P25 - (Mix mode) ctcss 110.9 LA Area (Geological Survey?)
172.5250 - NAC 455 (Mix Mode) ctcss 110.9 National Park Service - Santa Monica Mountains National Rec Area. - Dave talked about it on this thread. http://www.radioreference.com/forum...-forest-service-radio-systems.html#post823815
173.8250 - NAC 455 - P25 (Mix Mode) ctcss 110.9 -

Possible mix mode (I haven't confirmed yet).
164.7250 - NAC 455 - P25 - 'Going to light house'

Note: Checked the Similar Threads area. and notice this thread.
http://www.radioreference.com/forum...al-trunking-discussion/100370-mixed-mode.html

Last edited:

SOFA_KING

Here is my list of mix mode repeaters in the fed band in Southern California.

171.1625 - NAC 455 - P25 - (Mix mode) ctcss 110.9 'Light House'
171.7250 - NAC 455 - P25 - (Mix mode) ctcss 110.9 LA Area (Geological Survey?)
172.5250 - NAC 455 (Mix Mode) ctcss 110.9 National Park Service - Santa Monica Mountains National Rec Area. - Dave talked about it on this thread. http://www.radioreference.com/forum...-forest-service-radio-systems.html#post823815
173.8250 - NAC 455 - P25 (Mix Mode) ctcss 110.9 -

Possible mix mode (I haven't confirmed yet).
164.7250 - NAC 455 - P25 - 'Going to light house'

Note: Checked the Similar Threads area. and notice this thread.
http://www.radioreference.com/forum...al-trunking-discussion/100370-mixed-mode.html

Interesting. :hum: Thanks for the info. That is just what I am wanting to know.

I have an XTS3000 and I have done the mixed mode thing on it. They are correct on that thread about the TX channel being one or the other...not both. But scanners are a different animal with a different agenda. We want to hear it all and hear it fast. :D I would think the radio firmware to do mixed mode and multi code would be easy. One other thing I would like to see on such a feature is a different alpha tag for each code entry so you could identify not just the user, but also the "tower", or "zone", or "operation", or whatever. THAT would make better use of memory than entering in multiple entries on the same frequency with different modes and codes!

Phil :cool:

diskmonger

I have all my federal stuff in open mode to receive analog or digital. In my area (Michigan) it's either P25 or analog for the most part, not really any mixed stuff.

But, I am not going to miss anything having it in open mode. You never know what you may run across.

Status
Not open for further replies.