Looking for Low Band Feds

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmoscanner

Is there a specific place to search in the low band for non military federal activity? The reason I ask is because I have been trying to pinpoint a freq in use at the Lacygnes NWR in Kansas and other NWRs in Ks/Mo.

Last time I was there I took this pic at the main office.

Gregg in KC

Attachments

• CygnesNWR2c.JPG
    CygnesNWR2c.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 492

nd5y

The federal allocations on low band are:
30.0 - 30.55
32.0 - 33.0
34.0 - 35.0
36.0 - 37.0
38.0 - 39.0
40.0 - 42.0
46.6 - 47.0
49.6 - 50.0

In the past the Fish & Wildlife service used 34.81 and 34.83 but as far as I know they are all on high band and UHF now.
That antenna on the building appears to be a high band Station Master.
I would check 164.625 and 164.675.

commstar

Premium Subscriber
For whatever it is worth here is what I think I have figured out about the FWS Refuge here in Spokane, Wa:

Department of Interior:
Fish and Wildlife Service:
164.7750 (156.7) R Turnbull Game Refuse- Cheney
164.6250 - FWS1
163.1500 - FWS2

By low band do you mean 30-50mhz? If yes, then I have no answer.

In my experience also is FWS is generally VHF.

Just a question, as I like puzzles like this, what in that photo leads you to think low band?

That antenna looks like it could be a VHF Super Stationmaster to me (18-20 ft tall and the radials are consistent ).

If you have any hooks into the local fire department that might be a good place for discrete inquiries as they are likely to have mutual aid plan or agreement in place.....reading a volunteer firemans portable is often a goldmine of into- if you have that access.

Regards,
Mike

Last edited:

mancow

Database Admin
Are you monitoring something that you are not sure is them or are you just plain looking for whatever frequency they are using there?

Last edited:

commstar

Premium Subscriber
I just found an old (circa 1984) frequency list for NWR's in California & Oregon.

Surprise to me, 34.810 seems to be the consistent frequency being used at no fewer than 8 NWRs in that region, at that time.

172.6500. 163.1250, and 164.800 are also listed at other sites.

Good luck and please let the board know what you figure out.

Mike

Last edited:

ksmoscanner

Thanks for the input eveyone.

Mancow, I'm just trying to see what they might be using. I have never heard anything when I was out there but noticed the tower. I also planned on visiting some of the others in the region and wanted to get an idea of where I should be looking.

Commstar, memory told me they were down low in the 30-40 mhz. I can never tell what band an antenna is by looking. But at a distance it looked longer than I normally see and figured with past research and the longer appearance it must be low band. Glad I asked because now I have learned something :)

Again thanks for the input. Will post any finds.

Gregg

Last edited:

rankin39

Gregg and all,

The only FWS in the midwest I've ever heard was Wichita Mountains in Oklahoma. This was in the late 70s or early 80s and they were still using the 34 MHz. channels at that time. I've had 164.625 in the scanner for a couple of years but never heard anything about 30 mi. west of Kansas City. I once saw a FWS car in NW Missouri with a high band antenna, but never heard any transmissions. I'd suggest just walking into the building and asking. All they can do is say "no", and you might find out something interesting. But of course ferreting the frequency out by ourselves is part of the sport! Let us know if you find out.
Bob, WoNXN

nd5y

The only FWS in the midwest I've ever heard was Wichita Mountains in Oklahoma. This was in the late 70s or early 80s and they were still using the 34 MHz. channels at that time.

The last time I was at Wichita Mtns NWR was about 15 years ago. Back then their building still had a low band ground plane but all the vehicles had high band 1/4 waves and they had a repeater on 164.675. I never did find the input.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
The last time I knew of low band federal frequencies was US Fish and Wildlife using 34.81 and 34.83. I have heard activity on these, but it has been many years ago. They may have since been replaced with VHF high band channels.

I have also heard US National Guard activity on 40.xx and 41.xx MHz, but again, this was many years ago; they may or may not still use these frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.