HHS & CDC Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Looking for Nationwide H&HS (Health & Human Services) and CDC (Centers for Disease Control) Frequencies. With the onset on Swine Flu and the US on it's highest Alert level since 911 these, if any would be nice to listen to. Any one got any listing's?

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure there's much they would be talking on the radio about... You'd probably be better off listening to your local authorities if the swine flu has occurred in your area.

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
I don't think H&HS and CDC will be doing a lot of law enforcement activities. As a result the chances of you hearing them on radio is pretty slim, that's IF they were assigned with radios at all.

I have seen USDA inspectors in local supermarkets, they just carry a clipboard and an ID.

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
Looking for Nationwide H&HS (Health & Human Services) and CDC (Centers for Disease Control) Frequencies. With the onset on Swine Flu and the US on it's highest Alert level since 911 these, if any would be nice to listen to. Any one got any listing's?

Max, at this point I doubt you are going to hear much radio traffic from either the CDC or the HHS. Although both agencies do have allocated frequencies, the only ones for the CDC I have ever confirmed were used for facility maintenance & security at the CDC HQ in Atlanta. I suspect most current health emergency communications are taking place via cell phone, email, etc..

As for the HHS, I covered that agency in the March 2008 Fed Files in Monitoring Times. I just posted the frequencies from that article on the Fed Files blog. You are welcome to give them a try and see what's up. But I'm pretty sure that if it gets to the point of HHS out using radios for the Swine Flu, look for DMAT, FEMA, the National Guard and all your local government agencies to be busy too...

- Chris

Last edited:

KB1JHU

I think that it's more likely that CDC or HHS would use multi-agency and interop channels in the event of their involvement in activity related to any kind of pandemic/epidemic/outbreak. Any communications back to a lab or HQ would probably be via landline, cell phone, or sat phone/link. I see no reason that these agencies would maintain their own repeater systems with the exception of security/facility ops at their offices and labs.

rvictor

Given the CDC's impressive record of dealing with scary stuff throughout the world, I have a feeling that they fully understand the need to avoid leaks that could lead to rumors and resulting panic. My guess is that they either use cell phones, the Internet (for data transmission), or encryption. I'd be awfully surprised to hear anything that was particularly interesting even if I could figure out a possible frequency.

I'm just hoping that there's not going to be anything that they need to talk about!

Dick

SCPD

QRT
Max, at this point I doubt you are going to hear much radio traffic from either the CDC or the HHS. Although both agencies do have allocated frequencies, the only ones for the CDC I have ever confirmed were used for facility maintenance & security at the CDC HQ in Atlanta. I suspect most current health emergency communications are taking place via cell phone, email, etc..

As for the HHS, I covered that agency in the March 2008 Fed Files in Monitoring Times. I just posted the frequencies from that article on the Fed Files blog. You are welcome to give them a try and see what's up. But I'm pretty sure that if it gets to the point of HHS out using radios for the Swine Flu, look for DMAT, FEMA, the National Guard and all your local government agencies to be busy too...

- Chris

Chris

Thanks, I looked those up on your blog and copied them and will monitor them, if Nothing else just to see what's in use here. I guess I should have "assumed" CDC & HHS would be on Cellular and e-mail rather than radio. And yeah, if there becomes a National crisis FEMA and US Army Civil Emergency frequencies would probably be hotter than CDC & HSS. What do you have for NDMS (National Disaster Medical System) Recently It was told to me the NDMS was coming back, in the last few years it was moved under FEMA.

Anyways, thanks for the replies! Stay Healthy!

Status
Not open for further replies.