FBI Indianapolis Office

Status
Not open for further replies.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
The local FBI office in San Antonio is broadcasting a weird set of tones today...

Every 5 minutes on the dot it will break squelch with a series of short bursts lasting about a half second, then it quickly concludes with one higher pitched burst that is slightly longer. All analog, CT 167.9.

Is Indianapolis using analog or digital encryption?

Squad10

The local FBI office in San Antonio is broadcasting a weird set of tones today...

Every 5 minutes on the dot it will break squelch with a series of short bursts lasting about a half second, then it quickly concludes with one higher pitched burst that is slightly longer. All analog, CT 167.9.

Is Indianapolis using analog or digital encryption?

The station may be sending an over the air alarm indicating a low AC, low RF output power or battery backup condition. It happens quite frequently on a couple of DEA analog repeaters in Chicago.

W9NES

Squad 10, this is not the case.The Uniden 996T indicates"ENC" which means encription is being used and they are not using analog.The communications are not in the clear.

W9NES

No this is encripted communications.The indicator on the Uniden 996T shows"enc" which means encrpted and no scanners will monitor encripted communications.

SOFA_KING

Squad 10, this is not the case.The Uniden 996T indicates"ENC" which means encription is being used and they are not using analog.The communications are not in the clear.

Uhhhhhhhhh...I think Squad10 was talking to texasemt13...and no, it is not OTAR. Squad10 is right. ;)

Phil :cool:

Squad10

Uhhhhhhhhh...I think Squad10 was talking to texasemt13...and no, it is not OTAR. Squad10 is right. ;)

Phil :cool:

Thanks for your reply SOFA KING. As usual, you hit the nail right on the head. I hope the few remaining analog systems here stay analog for a long time. I'll gladly tolerate the beeps and data alarm reporting.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Hate to burst any bubbles... ALL federal agencies must be fully digital for primary communications in the next few years... This includes the USFS (Allowed analog for interop with non Fed fire agencies and aircraft) NPS (Allowed analog only for interop with non Fed LEA's), USDHS, FBI, USMS, USPS, DEA, CBP, SS, GSA, etc...

This is why they set up the Fed-Non Fed interop freqs, and the nationwide VHF, UHF, and 800 interop freqs. The only agency that will be analog except for in house and special investigations units for the magority of comms will be the USCG for the VHF maritime, and the UHF/VHF aeronautical....And certian of those can be encrypted.

I for one love digital, but hate the encryption... I understand the need for it.... But hate it lol. Take for example the NPS Natchez Trace National Parkway Rangers- I love when NTNP went P-25, but they fully encrypted the LE side. Not like the Trace is of National Security lol...

Squad10

Sorry Squad 10,I thought you were talking about the FBI office in Indianapolis.

No problem Tim. Wishing you "in the clear" communications.

I'm enjoying two really interesting ANALOG & CLEAR surveillances right now.

Ray

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Most have already begun... NPS East of the MS is about half done. USFS East of the MS beginning transition. DEA and FBI both halfway done. CBP also halfway done. TSA is done. USPS starting. SS is done for the protection details... Uniformed & Treasury Enforcement Divisions are starting. BATEF is done, this was pushed after Waco. Shared frequencies/common are now dual use both analog and digital. USDHS is digital except for the one common freq. Military Law Enforcement Special Divisions such as NCIS, have thier own scheduling apart from the rest of the "Federal Agent" types... But are heavily digital, and like about 60% of sensitive Federal Law Enforcement.... ENCRYPTED. There is still a LOT of analog and "in the clear" stuff out there, but its shrinking every year. Before the "Bush Patriot Act" era, the transition to narrowband and digital was moving at a snail's pace, but over the last two years this changed as newer radios with better technologies became available. When the federal government sets a deadline, they drag around till it nears. Then they JUMP. well the Federal transition to narrowband ability deadline is 2012, digital is 2014. Wow things suddenly are moving along. Add in the DOD, and DOJ's nationwide 380 MHz P-25 TRS both now growing as fast as they can build it, things are a changing. I am not trying to say that listening is ending.. far from it. But some things will not be as easy to monitor anymore, and some things... even easier! Keep listening out there! You may get surprised by what you find in the VHF Hi arena, especially you all that monitor USFS during fire season, and your NPS.... Keep an active search going since ALL Federal info is "Classified" and NOT available to Joe Public!

MOTOROLANUT

move

Agreed around NCR and the bigger cities the P25 federal progression has moved along fast. But out in the sticks its like a slug..LOL You are right it could be soon in a few years the death of federal monitoring. I even read somewhere that some local FD's were even going p25 encryption...Sad but true..
So enjoy the next few years for now....Kinda reminds me of the cell phone analog to digital switch...

KB1JHU

I for one love digital, but hate the encryption... I understand the need for it.... But hate it lol. Take for example the NPS Natchez Trace National Parkway Rangers- I love when NTNP went P-25, but they fully encrypted the LE side. Not like the Trace is of National Security lol...

Not at all on topic, but:

The Trace likely went encrypted because of the large amount of Meth trafficking along it.

Status
Not open for further replies.