Obama's vist to Philly

Status
Not open for further replies.

ampulman

I live in So. Jersey, but monitor Philly area Fed frequencies, so I thought I would post here.

A short time ago, there was a post listing local Secret Service freqs., so I threw them in with my others.

I was monitoring in the early afternoon, before he arrived, expecting to hear 'in-the-clear' traffic. Normally, I hear few brief transmissions, but there was nothing.

Also, on other Federal groups, I will hear (short burst) encrypted traffic, but strangely, not on SS. As expected, there were no transmissions after his arrival.

Is there some type of encryption in use that does not 'announce' itself (on a 396T)? For example, on other federal services, I will sometimes see a frequency displayed, with no P25 or 'enc' noted, and the audio will be silent.

Amp

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
I live in So. Jersey, but monitor Philly area Fed frequencies, so I thought I would post here.

A short time ago, there was a post listing local Secret Service freqs., so I threw them in with my others.

I was monitoring in the early afternoon, before he arrived, expecting to hear 'in-the-clear' traffic. Normally, I hear few brief transmissions, but there was nothing.

Also, on other Federal groups, I will hear (short burst) encrypted traffic, but strangely, not on SS. As expected, there were no transmissions after his arrival.

Is there some type of encryption in use that does not 'announce' itself (on a 396T)? For example, on other federal services, I will sometimes see a frequency displayed, with no P25 or 'enc' noted, and the audio will be silent.

Amp

Rest assured that USSS was active when President Obama was in town. Most comms are simplex on the commonly known USSS freqs (ie Baker, Charlie, Sierra, etc). Almost everything is encrypted when he is in town.

I did not have the chance, but my recommendation would be to monitor PPD next time he's in the city. You will hear more related to the visit on the PPD system than on USSS freqs.

ampulman

Benrussel wrote (in part)

"I did not have the chance, but my recommendation would be to monitor PPD next time he's in the city. You will hear more related to the visit on the PPD system than on USSS freqs."

I did listen in to PPD for a bit, but reception is generally poor where I am, and the system was strangely silent, so I tuned out.

Amp

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Is it possible that some activity might have been on the new Justice integrated wireless network system?

That system (JIWN) is not in service in Philly.

I did not monitor PPD for this visit, but was told by a friend that there was traffic related to the event on T Band. PPD's Tac Air 1 helo also worked on 155.475 a little bit coordinated with neighboring Delco (presumably since the airport is mostly in Delco even though Philly handles everything on the property). I have monitored PPD and other local PD's on previous visits and have gleaned plenty of info to know what's up.

Last edited:

ampulman

In my follow up post, I reported that PPD was 'mostly silent'.

I did a little more research. While reception is mostly choppy, with 1-2 bars at most, I found that the CC was cutting in and out, no bars present, and no channels received.

I am less than a mile (air) from the Cherry Hill/Voorhees/Marlton junction (Evesham Rd).

Does anyone know if the PPD system has been 'modified' lately?

Amp

SOFA_KING

In my follow up post, I reported that PPD was 'mostly silent'.

I did a little more research. While reception is mostly choppy, with 1-2 bars at most, I found that the CC was cutting in and out, no bars present, and no channels received.

I am less than a mile (air) from the Cherry Hill/Voorhees/Marlton junction (Evesham Rd).

Does anyone know if the PPD system has been 'modified' lately?

Amp

Could you have a problem with your equipment? Maybe that is why you are not hearing anything. :confused:

Phil :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.