Scanner that mutes encrypted audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Is there a scanner on the market today that will MUTE the audio of an encrypted transmission on a CONVENTIONAL frequency. I know most will just scan by a trunked talkgroup that is encrypted, but how about those federal conventional frequencies. My Pro-106 does not mute them. How about a commercial radio?
Does the 996 mute them? Any other radio?

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Wow UPMan. Could you confirm that on Conventional frequencies, Uniden radios will recognize it is encrypted and just scan on by?

I can confirm this is the case as I see it happen almost daily on both my 396xt & 996xt. Good thing is even on an encrypted frequency the 396xt/996xt will display the NAC which will help you figure out the user.

Why don't the GRE models do this then? Is it a license thing or something?

That might be a good question to email GRE about and try to get an answer :)
Let us know what they say.
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
I can confirm this is the case as I see it happen almost daily on both my 396xt & 996xt. Good thing is even on an encrypted frequency the 396xt/996xt will display the NAC which will help you figure out the user.

That might be a good question to email GRE about and try to get an answer :)
Let us know what they say.
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

Tried that before they did the firmware upgrade. In fact many of us did on the forum here. No answer given. It must be a license thing or something like that. Still waiting for UPMan to acknowledge that but maybe he won't want to comment on that :))
Looks like a 396XT for me in the near future to co-exist with the great Pro-106 (except for the annoying encryption noise)

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I do not generally have information on why the competition does or does not do stuff, and sometimes when I do have that information it is considered proprietary and I cannot speak about it.

Most of the time, my guess is maybe marginally better than the average informed scanner user's guess (and I prefer not to imply the substantiation of guesses so I don't generally post them).

N

N_Jay

You are asking a employee of a company to comment publicly on facts he can not know for sure about a competitive companies product?

Yes, I think I remember that lesson from the "dumb things never to do class"!:roll:

Why do you think it is a licensing thing?

Seems more like a "Didn't make the feature development cut" issue to me?

But that is a guess.

Last edited:

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
I do not generally have information on why the competition does or does not do stuff, and sometimes when I do have that information it is considered proprietary and I cannot speak about it.

Most of the time, my guess is maybe marginally better than the average informed scanner user's guess (and I prefer not to imply the substantiation of guesses so I don't generally post them).

Yes UPMan I thought about that after I asked and figured it wouldn't be in your best interest to answer that. But guess it doesn't hurt to try :))
Thanks for the fast answer on the mute feature in the Unidens. Looks like a 396XT is on my Xmas list...

Thanks again
Bob

MFD4305

Clarification, Please

Paul,
Did you mean to say that a 996T will continue scanning when it encounters an encrypted transmission on a trunked system, or that it will simply mute the audio? My 996T will sit silently on an encrypted transmission, showing 'ENC' in the display, then briefly flash 'LNK' before resuming scanning. The dwell time varies, so I'm assuming that it's the duration of the transmission.

Last edited:

SkipSanders

Silent Key
If you're talking about a non-digital transmission, you can just use CTCSS, since the encrypted version shouldn't have a detectable CTCSS, while normal analog transmissions will.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Why do you think it is a licensing thing?

Seems more like a "Didn't make the feature development cut" issue to me?

But that is a guess.

Wouldn't bet on that Jay. I know of many many people asking for that feature. It would not be a development issue considering how many pending buyers that were out there waiting for this feature on the GRE scanners.
Has to be more to it than that. Money has to be the issue here. Must be a large cost to get the permission from Motorola or who ever for the rights for the encryption code. Just my thoughts of course.

Squad10

Wouldn't bet on that Jay. I know of many many people asking for that feature. It would not be a development issue considering how many pending buyers that were out there waiting for this feature on the GRE scanners.
Has to be more to it than that. Money has to be the issue here. Must be a large cost to get the permission from Motorola or who ever for the rights for the encryption code. Just my thoughts of course.

N-Jay is correct. There is no "permission" issue regarding the feature. It was a feature decision each manufacturer decided to make. Uniden decided to make it a feature, GRE did not.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
N-Jay is correct. There is no "permission" issue regarding the feature. It was a feature decision each manufacturer decided to make. Uniden decided to make it a feature, GRE did not.

/Thread.

Marshall KE4ZNR

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
If you're talking about a non-digital transmission, you can just use CTCSS, since the encrypted version shouldn't have a detectable CTCSS, while normal analog transmissions will.

This may be true for some kinds of encryption, but the FBI's encryption on analog DOES show the CTCSS if set to "search" or if set it will stop on that freq until the transmission is over. This is on the Uniden 396T, 396XT, and 996T.

As far as conventional digital, it will stay on the freq until the transmission is over as well BUT mute the sound. Trunked systems on the 996T and 396XT will stop for a slip sec and then move on. I've noticed the 996T seems to stay on it for slightly more time than the 396XT.

Last edited:

pro106import

Premium Subscriber

Wow, then GRE made a big mistake and lets hope they finally correct it in the next firmware update. I needed another radio anyway (yeah right...) so it will be the 396XT.

Status
Not open for further replies.