RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Topic Specific Forums > Federal Monitoring Forum

Federal Monitoring Forum The place to discuss monitoring federal government communications and related topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 8:35 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default DEA on CBP frequency

Has anyone ever monitored the DEA on CBP? I won't reveal the frequency, but, yesterday I monitored for over 3 hours the tailing of a person of interest by the DEA on a CBP frequency in the clear.
Just wondering,
Larry
Old 12-08-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8IAA View Post
Has anyone ever monitored the DEA on CBP? I won't reveal the frequency, but, yesterday I monitored for over 3 hours the tailing of a person of interest by the DEA on a CBP frequency in the clear.
Just wondering,
Larry
I guess it depends on what you mean. What gave you the indication that the DEA was involved?

I've heard many joint Customs/DEA operations that usually involved a CBP air asset working with DEA units on the ground. In some cases I only heard the aircraft using something like DHS Common (166.4625 MHz) to talk to everyone. In other cases, I have heard the CBP aircraft transmitting on both a CBP VHF channel and one of the DEA UHF simplex channels. And recently I caught both a CBP OMAHA aircraft and a DEA FLINT aircraft up working the same operation. The FLINT aircraft was up on a CBP VHF channel.

- Chris
http://mt-fedfiles.blogspot.com/
Old 12-08-2010, 11:22 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

What is CBP? If you don't mind me asking?
Old 12-08-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by instrumentphilip View Post
What is CBP? If you don't mind me asking?
Customs and Border Protection, part of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Essentially CBP is what used to be US Customs and the Border Patrol.

- Chris
Old 12-08-2010, 8:06 PM

Are those digital P25 transmissions?

Frank
Sponsored links
Old 12-08-2010, 9:33 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
I guess it depends on what you mean. What gave you the indication that the DEA was involved?

I've heard many joint Customs/DEA operations that usually involved a CBP air asset working with DEA units on the ground. In some cases I only heard the aircraft using something like DHS Common (166.4625 MHz) to talk to everyone. In other cases, I have heard the CBP aircraft transmitting on both a CBP VHF channel and one of the DEA UHF simplex channels. And recently I caught both a CBP OMAHA aircraft and a DEA FLINT aircraft up working the same operation. The FLINT aircraft was up on a CBP VHF channel.

- Chris
Recognized the pilots voice from previous air ops on DEA channels. No DEA channels heard during this op.
For the other question, no, it was in the clear analog. No P-25 used. Actually heard a couple of the mobiles on the same frequency.
Larry
Old 12-08-2010, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Recognized the pilots voice from previous air ops on DEA channels. No DEA channels heard during this op.
For the other question, no, it was in the clear analog. No P-25 used. Actually heard a couple of the mobiles on the same frequency.
Larry
Thanks Larry.

As I said, I have heard CBP aircraft doing DEA surveillance work, so could be the same guy. BTW, probably not the pilot, but the observer working the radios and watching the suspect. Pilot usually just flies the bird...

- Chris
Old 12-08-2010, 9:42 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

What freqs?
Old 12-08-2010, 10:10 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
Thanks Larry.

As I said, I have heard CBP aircraft doing DEA surveillance work, so could be the same guy. BTW, probably not the pilot, but the observer working the radios and watching the suspect. Pilot usually just flies the bird...

- Chris
My bad
Larry
Old 12-08-2010, 10:13 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by instrumentphilip View Post
What freqs?
As I stated in my original post, no frequencies will be given. I truly believe in getting the bad guys off the streets. Won't say where either.
Larry
Old 12-08-2010, 10:57 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cant say I've heard DEA on CBP freqs but a couple months ago I heard CBP running ops on the California DOJ VHF network (conventional/analog/clear) here in Los Angeles County.

Last edited by bryan_herbert; 12-08-2010 at 11:11 PM..
Old 12-08-2010, 10:57 PM

Larry -

Whats the point of posting if you don't want to share frequency information? This is a site of radio enthusists that enjoy listening to activity just as you do. Do you think you're helping someone by withholding this information? My biggest pet peeve on here is reading about people who are lookuing for information on the amazing things they find while scanning but do not want to let the rest of the scanning community in on the action, too. Expecially because all one would have to do is search CBP's freq's to find what you mention. It's not at all classifiued and unrealeased info, so who makes you the guy that decides what gets revealed and what does not?

If you want to keep secrets, don't post here looking for info.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:13 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]As I stated in my original post, no frequencies will be given
All you're gonna get is guesses then.
Please follow the forum rules and contact a moderator directly, not via a thread.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:24 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Vinzep its a matter of CommSec. Larry is hearing an active surveillance and giving out the frequencies on a popular message board like this one would aid the suspect or suspects if they are trolling. In this post 9/11 world depending on who the feds are tracking, the prosecutors/DA could even go after Larry for aiding the suspect(s) (though it is unlikely). Besides, the information Larry is looking for doesn't even require giving out frequency info.
Old 12-09-2010, 1:13 AM

Quote:
As I stated in my original post, no frequencies will be given. I truly believe in getting the bad guys off the streets. Won't say where either.
Larry
Wow, what a coincidence! The guys being surveilled were reading this thread in the radioreference.com forums during the operation. Who would have ever thought...
Sponsored links
Old 12-09-2010, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyC View Post
Wow, what a coincidence! The guys being surveilled were reading this thread in the radioreference.com forums during the operation. Who would have ever thought...
lol

Old 12-09-2010, 11:21 AM

Wow! What a personal attack on Larry. Personal attacks are against forum rules, but I'll let Wayne deal with this, if he so chooses.

Call it wisdom...Most of us long-time federal geeks know that posting sensitive information on a well-known, and popular forum, during an active investigation, can get someone killed. It will also increase the use of encryption. Then no one will hear anything. That is already happening. I like to hear some action every now and then. I may say something after the fact, though.

A number of us have nearly all of the frequencies in a given area, and don't share them openly with the general community. I see it as a risk to the agents who are doing a dangerous job, and I don't want to make it easy for the bad guys. Sometimes I post a single frequency I just found to help my brothers who, like me, work to search the freqs out and understand the radio systems in use. I also provide search aids for the scanner geek. The bad guys probably won't want to do any real work, or keep up with new developments or changes that happen almost monthly. If someone is really interested in monitoring this stuff, then get to work and start searching. Every area has a different frequency list anyway...for the most part. And you may be the only person who is in an area trying to find fed freqs. I'm just not handing over the whole ball of wax unless I trust the person I am sharing with. And I commend Larry for his diligence in the situation.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:29 AM

I'll share some freqs.
I routinely hear DEA Air-Ops in West Palm Beach, Fl. Can hear ops all over South Florida.
Have even hear plane when he is up on other side of state over Everglades and Fort Myers.
99% of the time frequency is 418.75--ALL IN THE CLEAR
Heard one ops I reported--not on this board--was here in West Palm Beach--in last month was on 418.625.

All units were on SIMPLEX--this is usually a rptr output freq.

Oh__I am a retired State of Florida law enforcement officer--spent almost 10 years doing narcotics.

I have no problems giving out freqs--just not during ongoing ops.

BTW--the bad guys have BETTER comms and intel than the cops do.

John--
WA4VPY
West Palm Beach, Fl
Old 12-09-2010, 1:47 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneH View Post
All you're gonna get is guesses then.
Wayne, and the rest, all frequencies that I have programmed into my many radios, exist in the wiki here on RR, and other federal monitoring sites like Monitoring Times.
Now, the frequency is active with OMAHA in the air doing surveilance. And, it is an ongoing investigation. Most likely CBP in the first place.
Larry

Last edited by N8IAA; 12-09-2010 at 1:49 PM.. Reason: Additional info
Old 12-09-2010, 1:56 PM
CenTex DBA
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

About 2 weeks ago I was hearing a CBP pilot assist ICE with an aerial surveillance, talking about how CBP was a much better organization to work for than DEA.

I thought it interesting that he piloted for two of these organizations (and probably was prior military).