United States Federal Reserve Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I have done some searches for for the United States Federal Reserve Police Radio system. So far, I seem to run across 406.6625 mHz pretty consistently, but the mode seems to vary quite a bit from place to place. I have read posts of analog, but those all seem to be somewhat dates and I am pretty confident that most, if not all, have switched to a narrower bandwidth radio. However, I is still possible some areas remains with analog modulation. I have also read reports of both P25 and MOTO TRBO modulation. What is the latest on this agency? Is it likely that all are moving towards both common frequencies and modulation types, or are they likely to have each area do it own thing?

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
I have done some searches for for the United States Federal Reserve Police Radio system. So far, I seem to run across 406.6625 mHz pretty consistently, but the mode seems to vary quite a bit from place to place. I have read posts of analog, but those all seem to be somewhat dates and I am pretty confident that most, if not all, have switched to a narrower bandwidth radio. However, I is still possible some areas remains with analog modulation. I have also read reports of both P25 and MOTO TRBO modulation. What is the latest on this agency? Is it likely that all are moving towards both common frequencies and modulation types, or are they likely to have each area do it own thing?

The Federal Reserve Police seem to have chosen radio systems based upon locally obtained quotes for the radio equipment and were not bought as an agency-wide purchase. Some are indeed P-25, some analog and some appear to be MotoTRBO digital. The only common requirement of the contracts was the frequencies that were available as allocations to the Federal Reserve. I have not seen any indications that the Federal Reserve Police forces were moving from what they are using now.

There is no real requirement for inter-agency compatibility as their radios usually only serve the immediate areas around the Federal Reserve buildings. Similar situations have show up with other federal agencies that are not bound by interoperability requirements, such as some Veterans Affairs Medical Centers are using all sorts of different radio systems, including TRBO, LTR trunking, etc..

- Chris

ecps92

RR WIKI

Little confussion, I think on your part.

Analog can be both Narrow and Wide band.

Boston is still quite Active in Narrowband Analog

JASII

Memory Capacity
Thank you for the replies guys. Wow, it really is all over the board then. So we have some:

-Analog narrow band FM

-Analog wide band FM (Some carrier squelch and some with PL tones)

-P25

-LTR

-MOTO TRBO

That is a lot of different types of radio systems for the same agency!

n5ims

Don't forget that the communication needs of the Federal Reserve Police vary from location to location. In some areas they have several large buildings that they need to protect, while others may only have a partial floor in a shared building. This may help explain the wide range of systems that they use.

Their needs may also vary due to the need to communicate with the security force that handles the building they're located in. If the building security team uses MotoTRBO than it would be practical for the Federal Reserve Police to also use MotoTRBO to allow one radio to cover both (you remember that old "interoperability" thing).

ecps92

See Post # 2 by CP

Who do they need Interop With? Really, Interop is the Right/Correct People talking to the Right/Correct People at the Proper Time.

Easily handled by a Dispatcher or "Here is one of our Radios".
Cheap n Easy - No waste of $$$$$

As to you last Comment.. there are others out there.
the VA in other areas are using TRBO, and I'm sure Chris in his travels has found others.

Federal Reserve Police. Mototrbo?????? So much for inter-operability with other federal agencys huh.

I don't see any Federal L/E agency other that P25 & AES encryption ability.

FF - Medic !!

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Just FYI...this might be in the wrong forum as the Federal Reserve Bank is about as federal as Federal Express.

CORN

Premium Subscriber
They use P25 here in Nashville. I think the post office switched to Moto Trbo though as 409.1 used to be analog but now it makes a jackhammer noise. Boo on motorola for making other products that compete against their own stuff mainly P25. Boo!!!

JASII

Memory Capacity
Just FYI...this might be in the wrong forum as the Federal Reserve Bank is about as federal as Federal Express.

While that may be true, usually frequencies between 406.0000 and 420.0000 mHz are federal users. I find it sort of interesting that although they aren't federal they do use federal frequencies! (If Federal Express, for example, wanted to use say 418.625 mHz I really doubt that they would be granted permission to do so!)

Just out of curiosity, are there ANY other non-federal users on federal frequencies? I think a private federal contractor near me used to have their corporate security on frequencies that would have normally been reserved for the U.S. Navy! (148.xxxx, etc.)

Last edited:

nd5y

Sometimes it is because the contractors are operating a government-owned facility like the Lockheed Martin factory in Fort Worth which is actually US Air Force Plant 4.

There are lots of shared frequencies. Here is one example Hydrological/Meterological Channels - The RadioReference Wiki.

Normally when a state or local government is allowed to use federal frequencies they must be sponsored buy the federal agency that the frequencies are assigned to.
See last section of this page titled "For FCC Applicants" Frequency Assignment Subcommittee (FAS) | NTIA
and Manual of Regulations and Procedures for Federal Radio Frequency Management (Redbook) | NTIA

Here is a status page for FCC licensees that applied for federal frequencies.
http://ntiacsd.ntia.doc.gov/webcoord/status.cfm

Last edited:

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber

Although the Federal Reserve is independent of the federal government, Federal Reserve Police are certified federal law enforcement officers and operate with the same authority of other federal law enforcement agencies.

- Chris

shadcall

The Federal Reseve Banks are in multiple states and the decisions they make affect the whole country. Fed Ex is a private company and no one would confuse them as being part of the Federal Government. Here is a quote from an official publication of the Federal Reserve Bank "The Federal Reserve System: Purposes and Functions."

The Federal Reserve System is the central bank of the United
States. It was founded by Congress in 1913 to provide the
nation with a safer, more flexible, and more stable monetary
and financial system. Over the years, its role in banking and
the economy has expanded.

That is what makes it a Federal agency and it is why they use frequencies allocated for use by the Federal Government.

here in cleveland Federal Protective Services use 407.000 its digital with NAC code-201 as their main dispatch and a 2nd channel 416.000 is always quiet.their always in the clear to monitor them.

ecps92

NFPA - Boston/Quincy MA used 418.0500 for years, till they gave up and went Cellular and Nextel

While that may be true, usually frequencies between 406.0000 and 420.0000 mHz are federal users. I find it sort of interesting that although they aren't federal they do use federal frequencies! (If Federal Express, for example, wanted to use say 418.625 mHz I really doubt that they would be granted permission to do so!)

Just out of curiosity, are there ANY other non-federal users on federal frequencies? I think a private federal contractor near me used to have their corporate security on frequencies that would have normally been reserved for the U.S. Navy! (148.xxxx, etc.)

ecps92

David, 407.0000 would be the Repeater for the Federal Protective Service and unless your near-by you won't hear 416.0000 as that is the input freq to the Repeater. However this topic was/is on the Federal Reserve Police [Same Band - Different Agency and not in every State]

here in cleveland Federal Protective Services use 407.000 its digital with NAC code-201 as their main dispatch and a 2nd channel 416.000 is always quiet.their always in the clear to monitor them.

CORN

Premium Subscriber
I said Federal Reserve Security is P25 here in Nashville but now I don't seem to hear them at all. Don't know what happened.

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
I said Federal Reserve Security is P25 here in Nashville but now I don't seem to hear them at all. Don't know what happened.

When I was in Nashville last they were still P-25 on 406.6625 MHz, N293.

- Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.