usss or whca

Status
Not open for further replies.

bailly2

anyone willing to say what the 3 frequencies used by the usss or whca advance teams are? im scanning 6 scanlists with my gre psr 800 on a daily basis and would rather scan 3 more frequencies instead of slowing things down scanning an additional 50 or so. thanks

riveter

Premium Subscriber
Also, as far as I remember, their ops are both generally P25 encrypted.

bailly2

i read the advance team is often in the clear. If they encrypted, thats ok, my scanner mutes encryption. years ago the advance team used usss baker channel, i assume that changed.

Hooligan

anyone willing to say what the 3 frequencies used by the usss or whca advance teams are? im scanning 6 scanlists with my gre psr 800 on a daily basis and would rather scan 3 more frequencies instead of slowing things down scanning an additional 50 or so. thanks

Have you calculated the time 'penalty' you get with the PSR-800 in terms of scanning 3 channels vs scanning 50?

Hooligan

USSS will be using different freqs than the WHCA, due to having different missions.

Oh really? What about that silly WHCA mission where they provide direct support to SS PPD regarding comm systems?

If they use different freqs, how exactly do WHCA Advance or Trip Team members communicate with SS Advance or Trip Team members in real-time?

If you heard "ROADRUNNER" on the Charlie channel, does that mean the Charlie channel is just used by WHCA?

Hooligan

i read the advance team is often in the clear. If they encrypted, thats ok, my scanner mutes encryption. years ago the advance team used usss baker channel, i assume that changed.

Over the decades, there's been a lot of utter BS posted about these sorts of comms. The best thing you can do is gather-up whatever freqs you can find from online lists (some of them now are long-obsolete) & scan them plus search the VHF/UHF federal spectrum during a visit, from as close as you can reasonably be.

WHCA Advance Team operations aren't as lengthy as they used to be, thanks to advanced technology that's small enough to where they can have several redundant long-haul systems.

In the old days, it was getting to the area about a week (longer, for overseas visits) in advance & setting up some remote VHF/UHF bases & testing them, coordinating with AT&T & the local telco for redundant, priority phone trunk circuits, etc. & having some sort of HF capability -- a portable station set up, or using Roadrunner's (WHCA mobile comms vehicles, established in the late 1970s) HF capability, or sometimes maintaining a VHF/UHF radio link to the presidential aircraft, which could then relay long-haul comms onward.

Thanks to both satellite comms as well as good cellphone technology, a lot of the old infrastructure that would take many days to plan, set-up, troubleshoot, etc. (& during the process, alert people with the right freqs in their scanners that a yet-unannounced POTUS visit was coming up soon) has been replaced with reliable, redundant, highly portable gear that doesn't rely on a lot of local infrastructure, thus not the same sort of WHCA ADVON comms that we knew & loved up until about 15 years ago, *and* the technology continues to improve...

That said, yes, with the right freqs or search criteria & being within range, you should absolutely hear WHCA, SS, & SS PPD comms when POTUS is in town (also VPOTUS to a lesser extent), and while most should be encrypted, as recently as September 2014, I heard non-secure, operational comms on a well-known VHF freq associated with WHCA/SS & in-use for a VPOTUS protective detail.

prcguy

I've been inside a "Roadrunner" communications van and played with some of the radio equipment, but I won't say where or why...
prcguy

Oh really? What about that silly WHCA mission where they provide direct support to SS PPD regarding comm systems?

If they use different freqs, how exactly do WHCA Advance or Trip Team members communicate with SS Advance or Trip Team members in real-time?

If you heard "ROADRUNNER" on the Charlie channel, does that mean the Charlie channel is just used by WHCA?

scottyhetzel

Hooligan, POTUS was out several months ago and I was fortunate to see the 4 portable repeaters and the two VHF antennas on a mast. The AT&T modem, second day aired... which I connected....and 12 land line for Obama here in rancho mirage, CA . Two guys sat in the phone room the whole time, not sure what they were doing...There was a tent that was completely guarded with laptop gear and no one was told was it was. This was on a residential property.

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
Me too! It was a couple of administrations ago, but...

:)

- Chris

Me three, during Bush 41. Still have the WHCA guy's business card; "In case you ever want to come back to work for the federal government...". Maybe if I had still been single......

mancow

Database Admin
I heard what I would assume is the technical services division in support of the advanced group once. It was on 411.000 which internet searched had listed as such and it corresponded to a visit a few days later. It was secure Vinson, same that you hear on satcom or lowband. There won't be anything in the clear to monitor unfortunately.

Hooligan

Hooligan, POTUS was out several months ago and I was fortunate to see the 4 portable repeaters and the two VHF antennas on a mast. The AT&T modem, second day aired... which I connected....and 12 land line for Obama here in rancho mirage, CA . Two guys sat in the phone room the whole time, not sure what they were doing...There was a tent that was completely guarded with laptop gear and no one was told was it was. This was on a residential property.

Sound like that was an overnight visit somewhere.
The tent-like thing was likely a portable 'secure' facility for which POTUS & key staff can go into to handle classified operations without concern that some media person with a super-zoom lens would be able to see the information on the display, read lips, use a parabolic dish/mic etc.

Basically a SCIF Tent.

KB7MIB

Since the SS is a part of the DHS, the Secretary of the DHS also gets SS protection.
So the next time you hear about the Secretary visiting your city, give a listen to their channels as well.
When he was in Phoenix around the time of the Super Bowl, one of their channels was active, according to a poster in the Super Bowl thread in the Arizona forum.

John
Peoria, AZ

JnglMassiv

Since the SS is a part of the DHS, the Secretary of the DHS also gets SS protection.
I've never heard that before. Do you have a cite?

The Prez was in town this week. I was disappointed to hear zero unusual activity, clear or otherwise, on the entire VHF-Fed band.

Status
Not open for further replies.