Fed RID's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Anyone know whether Federal P25 Radio ID's are standardized nationally? It would be nice to know if a particular ID prefix belongs to a particular agency.

Thanks.

ecps92

Within Agencies there seems to be patterns, however nothing yet in particular to see a Federal Wide Pattern. (Atleast in the North East)

There was (can't find it via google anymore) on the internet for a DHS Agency and Key Management where the last few pages broke down the RiD by

Region
Type (Portable, Mobile, Base)
Agency within
Teams and Cache #

Anyone know whether Federal P25 Radio ID's are standardized nationally? It would be nice to know if a particular ID prefix belongs to a particular agency.

Thanks.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin

Depends on whether they're using a nationwide Federal system or a local system. If it's a nationwide Federal system the chances are pretty good that the ID will be the same everywhere. However, if it's a local field office using a system operated by local or state government, the chances are around 99.9% that the ID won't match what they might use on a Federal system.

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, Guys.
To clarify, I was referring specifically to federal RID's on federal systems. Particularly if there is an encrypted repeater and I wanted to find out which agency is using it. I know the NAC can provide clues, but the RID's seem like they would me more definite, if they had a standard.

methusaleh

OP: Is the question about callsigns (for a person or office), or UIDs (for a radio)?

My office only issues VHF radios, so your mileage may vary. We do have UHF radios, but they are almost never taken off their chargers.

For the VHF side...

The UID (Unit ID) is unique to a radio and is generally only used for OTAR and the like.

The MDC ID is unique to the user, and is changed as needed.

A callsign is also unique to the user. In very very rare cases, I have seen one assigned to an entire task force, or group working on a specific project.

ecps92

Yes the RiD helps, but when agencies share networks, it does provide confuzzlement.

ie: ICE has their own network, but they also have access to CBP
NOAA NMF had their own network, but also has access to CBP

It's best to probably make a nice list by
RID, Freq, NAC, type of traffic, verbal callsign if any., date heard

Then you might begin for your area to determine the pattern, if one

Thanks, Guys.
To clarify, I was referring specifically to federal RID's on federal systems. Particularly if there is an encrypted repeater and I wanted to find out which agency is using it. I know the NAC can provide clues, but the RID's seem like they would me more definite, if they had a standard.

Markb

Premium Subscriber
I was inquiring about UID's specifically, as the MDC ID's are probably highly localized. My hope was that if I had encrypted traffic, I could determine which agency is using is based upon the UID.

Which scanners

Which scanners have the capability to display the RID on conventional simplex and repeater channels? I am able to see the ones on trunk systems, but I dont think I have any radios capable of the conventional channels. I have heard that some of the Unidens will do this but I dont have any of the newer Unidens.

The uniden x36 series does, as well as the newer Motorola radios.

Hi Mark,

Do you have to "trick" the x36 series radios into thinking they are a single freq trunk system to get RIDs? Seems like they had to do that with the 800 and 996 types.

kennyblues

I've had mixed results with getting UID's from an encrypted single frequency trunk channel. Most of the time it shows i1 or nothing at all. But then on another channel UID's will show up. Perhaps the data stream on some channels is also encrypted.

bailly2

The GRE psr 800 displays conventional ids. Maybe I'll take note of ids if I have another
Scanner to search for the input freq

bailly2

You can get a lot of radio ids listening to the roll calls on the
Federal interop freqs.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
I think an excellent way to work on this would be to attempt a wiki page for collaboration on Federal RID planning, where we can all dump RID sets by geography and agency/subagency and attempt to reverse-engineer what RID layouts they might have. I'll start one and link it in to the federal stuff where it needs to be, if that's something y'all would be on board with- I have a few to add in.

ecps92

When you do, since this is going to be a Nationwide Collaboration, may I suggest atleast the following info

RID
Freq
Type = R or S - since some Freqs can and will be used simplex
NAC
State
Location = if known where the OP or Rptr is
Agency = usually three-four letters will work
Notes/Comments
Date heard
Submission by: - who for follow-up/Chat

I think an excellent way to work on this would be to attempt a wiki page for collaboration on Federal RID planning, where we can all dump RID sets by geography and agency/subagency and attempt to reverse-engineer what RID layouts they might have. I'll start one and link it in to the federal stuff where it needs to be, if that's something y'all would be on board with- I have a few to add in.

Hi Mark,

Do you have to "trick" the x36 series radios into thinking they are a single freq trunk system to get RIDs? Seems like they had to do that with the 800 and 996 types.

I dont think its -Tricking- the radio,the X36 has a 1 freq trunk option,Ive loaded up to 9 P25 freqs as separate sites..Let the 436 just scan through the list as if it were a regular p25 conv list...It shows RIDs in real time as the convo changes from one user to the next and back again..

Same for my 996XT...Though the 996 is slower with shifting from user to user..

The radio dos'nt not know they are not physical sites..just catching the strongest signal and decoding it..

riveter

Premium Subscriber
Not yet, I've driven nearly 1000 miles in the last 48 hours, so I'm not so focused on my computer right now. Hopefully I have a chance this evening, or tomorrow barring that. I'll include as much of that above as is reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.