Standard FBI nets

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacellamaman

so on standard FBI nets are talkgroups very common? as in 167.xxxx $167 RID:xxxxxxx TGID XXXXX.

i apologize for asking such a basic question but i can't recall having read about such. got one the other day i forgot about, same TG on two freqs and will track it down if anyone is interested. first time i have seen one i believe. and it wasn't 1 or 4095 just fyi

nd5y

Most conventional P25 repeaters use TGID 1.
I haven't seen anything else besides 1 on FBI or any other P25 repeaters in my area.

spacellamaman

found my notes

first off i have seen 1001 too now that you mention it but i am fairly sure only in conjunction with Blue Ridge Parkway/Nat Forest/Park Rangers in NC mountains or something like that. Not FBI before.

8/29/16 neglected to add time but afternoon is likely

173.8625 $167 ENC
and
173.0500 $167 ENC

RID: 3564962

TGID: 65523

i am including the complete numbers due to the uniqueness. often if there is extended chatter i will resume scanning to see if it pops up on another frequency too, which happens from time to time. gives me a better idea of tx origin. with this though, i have seen those two freqs so rarely i don't recall having even found them and put them in my "hi interest" bank, period. this went on for a minute or two and nothing more after that. it was definately simulcasting and i doubt either one is an input frequency due to my location which, by the way is

Central/piedmont NC

there was only one RID, and i can't recall having ever seen 356xxxx series though i havent checked my logbook yet. normally its 309xxxx and a few others. each freq showed the same RID and TGID.

so thar it is boys.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
356 is used by the Baltimore field office... seen some in DC too.

ecps92

Correct.

The Radio ID's on a Non Federal TRS generally have no bearing on the radio ID assignments by the Federal Agency on it's assigned NTIA channels.

BTW there was a good article on the Federal ($167) Radio ID's earlier this year in
The Spectrum Monitor
I forget which Month...maybe CP will chime in

Ooooh kmi8dy, sadly the TRS rules for federal users aren't standardized at all - they're allocated ID ranges and talkgroups by the states/agencies whose local systems they use. MPSCS, Maryland FIRST, STARCOM... they don't conform to the way the federally-constructed conventional systems look in terms of talkgroup and RID usage.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I've deleted the off-topic posts regarding trunking systems since the OP's original question refers to conventional frequencies.

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
BTW there was a good article on the Federal ($167) Radio ID's earlier this year in
The Spectrum Monitor
I forget which Month...maybe CP will chime in

That would have been July 2015 (my how time flies!).

As for federal agencies using conventional P-25 talk groups, other than 1, I have seen that occasionally, but not all that often.

So far, all of my FBI logs show TG001 in use.

I have seen some USSS use of big talk group numbers on conventional channels, but still haven't figured out the purpose.

- Chris

ecps92

that far back ?? Ouch :)
That would have been July 2015 (my how time flies!).

As for federal agencies using conventional P-25 talk groups, other than 1, I have seen that occasionally, but not all that often.

I have seen some USSS use of big talk group numbers on conventional channels, but still haven't figured out the purpose.

- Chris

spacellamaman

- Chris

well there goes my credibility.

considering i keep remembering writing stuff on here one day that i can't find the next day, maybe i am losing it. but i hand wrote my notes at the time it happened...and have the card on me. wait, i have the recording too! well the meta data is the only part that matters, otherwise its just encryption.

But I swear its true! Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered to share it with the whole class.

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
well there goes my credibility.

considering i keep remembering writing stuff on here one day that i can't find the next day, maybe i am losing it. but i hand wrote my notes at the time it happened...and have the card on me. wait, i have the recording too! well the meta data is the only part that matters, otherwise its just encryption.

But I swear its true! Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered to share it with the whole class.

I have found that in federal stuff, there are always exceptions!

I looked back through my WS-1088 and did find one FBI frequency that logged an odd talk group. 170.6250 MHz, N167 in the Houston, TX area showed a P-25 talk group of 4095. I caught that today sometime after I posted that I never caught any FBI talk groups other than 1. Other FBI frequencies in the area showed talk group 001.

- Chris

spacellamaman

a correction on a previous statement i made:

first off i have seen 1001 too now that you mention it but i am fairly sure only in conjunction with Blue Ridge Parkway/Nat Forest/Park Rangers in NC mountains or something like that.

not quite right, notes and recent observation shows that the RID was 1001, not the TGID as i stated. most recently it was noted on simultaneous Tx's on 172.750 $120 and 172.725 $110 (may have the NACs backwards) where the TGID was 1 and the RID was 1001, so sorry bout that folks, relying on my memory is the first step on the yellow brick road to failure.

next:

I have found that in federal stuff, there are always exceptions!

I looked back through my WS-1088 and did find one FBI frequency that logged an odd talk group. 170.6250 MHz, N167 in the Houston, TX area showed a P-25 talk group of 4095. I caught that today sometime after I posted that I never caught any FBI talk groups other than 1. Other FBI frequencies in the area showed talk group 001.

- Chris

I appreciate you making the first statement, shows you are not just wise but humble as well :)

now that the buttering up is done, a quick question: regarding a "P-25 talk group of 4095", some time back i either read or participated in a thread on here, where that came up. it was of interest to me because occasionally i had noted FPS's 410.800 $210 (jeez i can't think today, apologies if the NAC is off) in the CLT NC area, I would see TGID 4095 in conjunction with end of shift checkin/out's, in which often one or both sides will be in the clear. typical scenario would be an on foot mobile declaring that they (by callsign) were starting or ending patrol at xxxxx location at xxxx hrs, followed by what sounds like their equivalent of a dispatcher/admin base station confirming whatever was said.

ok that said, the thread had someone on it who stated something that convinced me they were a radio tech or had legitimate familiarity with systems of whatever (motorola?) type was being discussed, and individual stated with such and such radio equipment, the default from the factory TGID is 4095.

i was wondering what your thoughts on that are, as i have zero familiarity with what was said it and its likelihood of being correct. as a layman's layman, it sounded plausible. Thanks

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
a quick question: regarding a "P-25 talk group of 4095", some time back i either read or participated in a thread on here, where that came up.

ok that said, the thread had someone on it who stated something that convinced me they were a radio tech or had legitimate familiarity with systems of whatever (motorola?) type was being discussed, and individual stated with such and such radio equipment, the default from the factory TGID is 4095.

Is this the thread you speak of? http://forums.radioreference.com/federal-monitoring-forum/331796-radio-id-question.html#post2585498

Status
Not open for further replies.