Vhf band

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunjerry

I have been searching the 162 to 175 mhz band for 2 weeks. All I get is business and VA hospital. Who can break down a little bit of search limits.. wow so while I am writing this I hear something about burn permit being issued on 163.2625 pl of 146.2 pl now talking about who can take an ambulance. I am in Louisiana
.thanks jerry

nd5y

The lowest federal channel is 162.0375
The highest is 173.9875.
Above 174 is TV brodcasting.
162.0-162.025 is marine radio.
173.21-173.39 is non-federal.
There are a few other shared mainly non-federal frequencies like 163.25, 166.25, 170.15 and the hydro/meteo data channels.

Most people search 162-174 in 12.5 kHz steps and lock out the weather channels and any busy local non-federal frequencies.

There is a wiki article about federal band plans at Federal VHF/UHF Channel Plans - The RadioReference Wiki

There are also wiki articles on many federal agencies at http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Common_Frequencies. Some have frequency lists.

What you hear there depends on what federal agencies are located in your area or do work in your area.

Last edited:

nd5y

No. Type 163.3625 in the search box and you will know as much as I do about it.
It is also possible you could be reciving an image of some other frequency.

ecps92

Make/Model of your Scanner ?
Could be an image.... Who in your area is 146.2 in the 150-159 Public Safety channels.
Put another radio on those and see who talks at the same time.

Rare to actually hear Business on FED channels, unles
a. Image from the lower VHF
b. Overload to your RX
c. Could be the upper 173 Mhz that were originally allocated to the Press but now Open Game

Another thought.. is there a VA Hospital near-by ??

I have been searching the 162 to 175 mhz band for 2 weeks. All I get is business and VA hospital. Who can break down a little bit of search limits.. wow so while I am writing this I hear something about burn permit being issued on 163.2625 pl of 146.2 pl now talking about who can take an ambulance. I am in Louisiana
.thanks jerry

cajunjerry

Hey Bill, no one is using 146.6 in the area. I am getting the repeater from the freq. I am using the

Bct15 for the searches.

ecps92

Last edited:

cajunjerry

Yeah I guess I will take a ride to Shreveport. I know I confirmed a VA freq many months ago and it was not the one in question. But still could be another one
.jerry

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Might also be worth adding, I recently did some PM work for a 3 lettered agency and they were in the 165 range for their communications however, everything was secure. Their radios weren't actually programmed to be utilized in the clear.

ecps92

Generally (In my experience) the VA Hospital will have:
a Police NET
a Facilities NET
a Networking (Telecom) NET
some an EMS NET
and then a Paging Frequency.

YMMV depending on the Size of the Campus and...who knows what you might find.

I recently found a channel they (Here in New England) for testing Fire Alarms and Smoke Detectors ONLY.
Yeah I guess I will take a ride to Shreveport. I know I confirmed a VA freq many months ago and it was not the one in question. But still could be another one
.jerry

AlphaFive

fed freq.

I was helped tremendously by being referred to the latest N.T.I.A. frequency chart. For example Google something similar to NTIA frequency spectrum chart January. Pull up the January 2016 chart. By studying the keys to the color codes I came to a better understanding of what to expect on any band, particularly the shared bands, they were confusing for me. It's really interesting reading. Hope this helps a little, take care

ecps92

It is worth looking at, but it only provides a High Level Overview of the allocations.

Only if the Agency has migrated to the NTIA Allocation plan does even the below Wiki apply
Federal VHF/UHF Channel Plans - The RadioReference Wiki

It is a good reference, but there are still many (USFS is in the middle of converting to it) agencies who do not conform to the NTIA NEW formats

I was helped tremendously by being referred to the latest N.T.I.A. frequency chart. For example Google something similar to NTIA frequency spectrum chart January. Pull up the January 2016 chart. By studying the keys to the color codes I came to a better understanding of what to expect on any band, particularly the shared bands, they were confusing for me. It's really interesting reading. Hope this helps a little, take care

AlphaFive

NTIA

Well I'll be a Monkey's Uncle... I didn't know that, haaa. Thank you. I swear I'll make it to 95 years old and still learn something every day around here. Appreciate that

Status
Not open for further replies.