Any Chicago-Area FED Listeners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astro25

Can anyone confirm FBI Activity on 170.725Mhz - I know it's an "active" repeater that exists, however, do any of you hear much traffic on it at all?

I've also seen: 168.325R, 168.725R, 169.950R, 170.350R

Ever hear much on those?

Thanks,

Astro25

Astro25

Are the last 4 hi-power repeaters/wide area repeaters? As you can tell, I'm a bit north of Chicago (Schaumburg).

I've heard a few kerchunks on 170.725, but that's it. The database lists it as "primary repeater", so I thought I'd give it a listen.

Squad10

All five frequencies can be used as repeaters. They all are high power transmitters. Mobiles can operate talkaround for each frequency. Modulation has been clear analog or encrypted CVSD (Motorola Securenet). I hear clear analog, encrypted CVSD and sometimes P25 on 169.950.

For years 170.725 was used as a primary channel for SA's to communicate to the Chicago District Field Office for SA message checks, and to run license plate checks, but I have not heard much activity on it for the past 3 years.

Astro25

Hmm... Which one do you think gets the most use? I'll slap them into one of my Spectra Consolette base's and scan 'em.

just analog with securenet...hmm (Probably a T1 algo, too :eek: )

Squad10

Any one of the last 4 freqs. Monitoring all 4 would be the best situation. Rumor has it that Mo produced a T1 hybrid module years ago. Last source I spoke to said T1 is required for any federal classified info. to be communicated.

Astro25

Yep, it is. I spoke to a friend who said they've been using AstroSabers/XTS5k platform radios. I wouldn't think their SecureNet would be anything like DES-XL/OFB (and certainly not DVP)

Last edited:

Astro25

As it turns out, 168.3250 was already in the Spectra....

Have you heard much on there in particular of the 5 listed?

I don't hear any traffic on either of those frequencies. Not even a hint of a signal with squelch open. I'm in the city though.

Squad10

170.725 had a couple of communications checks in both clear and code over the past 2 weeks, that were multicast on 168.125 fixed output. All other freqs. have been fairly active over the past 3 months for ground surveillance and sometimes with air support. These are very good channels to monitor when in the clear. Many times the surveillance operations I have heard ended in an arrest only to make news the next day or two. As with most SSG/SOG frequencies, it's all about the right frequency at the right time.

Good luck.

Astro25

I heard a couple of keyups on 168.3250 in the last hour, but that was it. It's a strong signal (My VHF Spectra reads me an RSSI of 70-75). I'll keep on that freq. for the next 24hrs and see what I hear (or don't hear).

Now with the survelliance ops and all... it this all repeated, or simplex? You'd figure with covert, or at least semi-covert ops that the breau would at the very least go simplex/secure, but ya never know I guess.

Squad10

Repeat and simplex are both used, approx. 70% car to car that includes both talkaround frequencies and dedicated simplex frequencies, 30% repeat mode. The South RA often uses repeat in coded. I would think the case agent makes the decision what channel to operate and if in coded or clear with the decision being based on the case being major or high profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.