Weird stuff on this freq today, 11:20AM CST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jose_Pointero

324.0000 Weird sounding tones changing pitch up and down. Sometimes changing fast and sometimes not. Sounds kinda creepy. Then it settles into something that sounds like RTTY for a while. Thoughts?

N8IAA

Jose_Pointero said:
324.0000 Weird sounding tones changing pitch up and down. Sometimes changing fast and sometimes not. Sounds kinda creepy. Then it settles into something that sounds like RTTY for a while. Thoughts?

Being that it is a milair frequency, why not ask in that forum:)
Larry

mancow

Database Admin
It's here too near KC. I ran through all the modes on the AOR3000A and it seems that it's most pronounced in AM but it's just a tone right now. I haven't heard any changes yet.

zguy1243

Here is a Mp3 of what I am hearing here in Georgia with a Icom R8500 and a AS-1405 log pointed south. Does this sound like what you guys are hearing?

Last edited:

mancow

Database Admin
Are we hearing signal leakage from our PCs? If I wasn't so lazy I would shut everything down to find out.

mancow

Database Admin
I'm pretty sure we are hearing ourselves. Try attaching a telescopic antenna not an external. When I get it near the LCD monitor and PC the signal spikes.

It must be a common leakage freq. generated by most PC equipment.

So, I guess it's not the aliens sending the coundown signal just yet.

Squad10

I'm 20 miles S/W of the center of Chicago and don't have a carrier on 324.0, using a R7100 with discone at fairly high ground elevation.

Do have a tone on 395.9994 (AFC on) but it seems to be coming from my SATA HDD.

zguy1243

It must be from PC equipment or UPS's. I am hearing it strong on my remote receiver that is not near anything but a pc, a lcd monitor and a APC ups and abunch of cows in the field where the tower is.

N8IAA

It's Alien talking to the Predator about the Requiem movie coming out and how much they will make in royalties;>))
Actually, it sounds like satellite transmissions.
Larry

Jose_Pointero

Oh wow, this thread blew up :)

Anyway, I've been listening to it on and off all day. Even let my friend hear it while he was over here. It is definitely in AM mode, and is not any local interference. And after doing a little research (on this very site), I found this:
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/North_American_Aerospace_Defense_Command_(NORAD)

Looks like we've been listening to NORAD, unless I'm mistaken. Which would explain why we can't explain it...because we aren't supposed to be able to. I still have lots of questions though :D

Jose_Pointero

Well I say that with 99% certainty at least. I've tried taking my handheld outside, and moving it around in my apartment, and it stays the same. I've heard interference before from my other electronics, and that's usually easy to single out by moving the radio or turning things off. This is different, and we all seem to be hearing the same thing, so I'm pretty certain it's not local interference.

mancow

Database Admin
Interesting...

If I get time I will take the 500 or R20 out in the middle of BFE nowhere Kansas tomorrow and see if I hear it too.

If it's satcom that **** must be running balls out crazy power to hear it on an HT.

Jose_Pointero

Assuming it is in fact NORAD we are hearing, would that count as Satcom? I thought all of NORAD's stuff we could hear would be coming out of Colorado. But then again I'm obviously pretty new to monitoring this kinda stuff :)

bobmich52

Got To reading this Thread & Decided To Put In That Freq.

Up Here In Ct, I Do Not Hear Anything At This Time.

796d Hooked Into A Rat Shack Mag mount Grounded On a Progresso Soup Can & It works Great!

Will Be Going Out In A Few & Will Put that Freq Into My 996 To see What Happens

Status
Not open for further replies.