Getting back into scanning... confused heh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mekanic

Hey everyone. Little backstory, I used to scan with my father 24-7, his scanner was always on, on the nightstand.

Well a while back, Pasco county went Trunked, we didn't have the money to get one of the new Trunking scanners, and that was the end.

I'd really like to get back into scanning, as the live feeds from here have re-perked my interests, but I'm really unsure of all the new tech, programming, and the like.

I've been researching scanners for a while now, and the one that seems to fit into what I want to scan, and my wallet seems to be the PSR-400, opinions on it, and the difficulty of programming it are very much appreciated.

Last scanner we had was a RS Pro-2040 (still have it) that dad sat and did the programming on, my last scanner used crystals haha.

I mainly want to listen to Pasco Sherriff, PR and NPR Police, as well as EMS and Fire (god I miss listening to FHP)

Thanks in advance everyone!

~Rich

tampatracker

Hello Rich, and welcome to RR. I do not know much about the PSR-400 but I can tell you that if you enjoy scanning as much as I do, (and it sounds like you do) then you don't need to worry about the tech stuff too much, computer assisted programming just sounds intimidating when it really isn't, and the new concepts in programming are easy to get your head around. There is a wealth of info here plus plenty of people around to ask if you don't know. Good Luck! John.

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
Rich, I have a PRO-97 (made by GRE), which is essentially a predecessor to the PSR-300/400. I also have a Uniden BCD396T. I can tell you that I prefer the 396T for it's dynamic memory architecture (DMA). Once you learn a DMA scanner, it is so much easier to access different systems compared to a conventional scanner like the PSR-400. I won't sugar coat it - you'll need some pointers when you get a modern scanner - there is a learning curve. But it's nothing that a little practice can't conquer.

The moral of my story is this. If I were you, I'd get this: BC346XT - The RadioReference Wiki - you can find them for around $200 on eBay.

Whatever you do, don't buy a Uniden scanner from Radio Shack. You'll pay twice what you can get it for elsewhere. Also, don't know if you're aware or not, but at the moment the PSR-400 (base) is $100 more than the PSR-300 (handheld). Technically, it's the same radio on the inside, just "packaged" differently.

Let us know if you have anymore questions.

Mekanic

Great info guys, I really appreciate it. Bolt, what do you think of the BCT-15X?

Seems like the base version of the 396T, I just prefer a base to a handheld for some reason heh.

Also, what is the reccomended software for PC programming a Uniden? Hopefully a free one that I can mess around with and get the feel of before my new scanner gets here.

Thanks again!

~Rich

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
The 15X would be a great choice in my opinion. As far as programming, I've tried ARC(Butel), BCTool and FreeScan and have found FreeScan to be the least problematic in my experience. And yes, FreeScan is free.

One other thing I should throw out is that if Pasco decides to change their radio system and go with a digital (P25) Motorola system, the 15X is analog only - you wouldn't be able to monitor.

There's an update from 2002 in the database that says this: "Pasco County officials are planning to replace the present EDACS TRS, with a new multi-site Motorola TRS, that will enable better communications throughout the county among all public safety agencies."

I know it's eight year old info, but it's worth mentioning. If you went with a digital capable scanner, you'd have no worries. Of course the digital models are more $$$, but I just wanted to make you aware that there's always that possibility.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Base/Mobile version

Great info guys, I really appreciate it. Bolt, what do you think of the BCT-15X?

Seems like the base version of the 396T, I just prefer a base to a handheld for some reason heh.

Also, what is the reccomended software for PC programming a Uniden? Hopefully a free one that I can mess around with and get the feel of before my new scanner gets here.

Thanks again!

~Rich

The 996T is the base version of the 396t.....The 996XT is the newer base version of the portable 396XT. The 15X is an update of the 15 and it still is ANALOG only where the 396/996 T or XT's are digital.

Mekanic

The digital conversion is something to think about for sure. I think what I will do is this..

I broke my hand a couple months ago and have been out of work because of it (I do residential AC) so I'm going to continue to enjoy the west pasco live feed from here on my computer, while I build my funds up to get one of the new digital scanners. Last thing I want to do is on the off chance they do upgrade, spend $200 instead of $400 and have a scanner that is next to useless in my area heh..

Also in the meantime I'll start playing with FreeScan so when the day comes, I will be ready..

(hunting ebay and the FS section here wont hurt either hehe.)

~Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.