Volusia county dispatch consolidation in progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

mk262

Premium Subscriber
Consolidated dispatch of emergency services starts in Volusia County - News

Highlights:

Volusia's first steps toward a consolidated dispatch system were taken quietly Thursday, with emergency 9-1-1 calls for fire departments in Deltona and Orange City now going through the county.

Sanders said the timing allowed county officials to stagger the change. Dispatch centers serving Ponce Inlet and Southeast Volusia are scheduled to switch over around 4 a.m. Thursday. That switch will involve emergency calls for police and fire.

After that, all emergency calls will be handled by the county's two dispatch centers: one for law enforcement, the other for fire and EVAC Ambulance. All of the county's 125 dispatchers are scheduled to be united in a new dispatch and emergency operations center the county expects to open in March 2013.

Note the reference to PI and southeast volusia are referring to 9/29, not today.

Last edited:

328Bravo

New Channels that going to be in service, unknown what TG there going to be

LE 1- Daytona Beach Shores, Ponce inlet and VC beach patrol.
LE 5- Port Orange and South Daytona (probably going to stay the 170 tg DEC)
LE 7- New Smyrna Beach, Edgewater and VCSO dist 5.

Serveral Officers though out the day have been saying there good byes over the radio to the dispatch center. This is kinda sad but kinda exciting at the same time.

mk262

Premium Subscriber
New Channels that going to be in service, unknown what TG there going to be

LE 1- Daytona Beach Shores, Ponce inlet and VC beach patrol.
LE 5- Port Orange and South Daytona (probably going to stay the 170 tg DEC)
LE 7- New Smyrna Beach, Edgewater and VCSO dist 5.

Serveral Officers though out the day have been saying there good byes over the radio to the dispatch center. This is kinda sad but kinda exciting at the same time.

Very big news. Thanks for putting the word out. I've had my scanner searching for new talkgroups and recording the audio transmitted by them for some time in an effort to try and catch these early. I probably have the tgids now but unfortunately I haven't heard any le dispatch traffic on the new tgs yet.

cal680

Can you advise what LE-7 is? Is it a new freq or ID - what? I can not hear anything from Edge , NSB or Port Orange since Thursday.

mk262

Premium Subscriber
Here's the new information:

LE 7 is 01-067

Radio Prefixes:
Port Orange = 12
Edgewater = 6
NSB = 9

I think, but I'm not 100% sure, that 01-050 is LE 1. I heard a beach unit doing a license check on there and I've never heard any real chatter on that tg before.

cal680

Two questions

The new ID for Edgewater, NSB and VCSO SE - is that now 0183? Second - Pro-164 - is there a way to manually go to an ID instead of waiting for someone to talk? I had one of the original RadioShack trunk scanners and you could on that one - but not able to find anyway to do it on Pro-164. I checked with RadioShack and they didn't know and I checked with the manufacturer of the radio - and they said they could not tell me because of agreement with RadioShack.

328Bravo

Further update about callsigns for Edgewater if anyhone is interested,

OLD(RCC) NEW(Central)
310 (squad 1) 6Alpha10 (Alpha Shift 6alpha[number])
320 (squad 2) 6Bravo20 (Bravo Shift 6bravo[number])
330 (squad 3) 6Charlie30 (etc)
340 (squad 4) 6Delta40 (etc)

Edgewater and New Smyrna will probably have the same shifts since they sound like there based off of the old RCC shift system. I have not herd any sargents for new smyrna key up yet.

mk262

Premium Subscriber
Can you advise what LE-7 is? Is it a new freq or ID - what? I can not hear anything from Edge , NSB or Port Orange since Thursday.

RCC has been disbanded and all those agencies are now dispatched by the county. VCSO has created new talkgroups for those agencies:

LE 7 is 01-067 and dispatches NSB, Edgewater, and VCSO district 5. You need to listen to that talkgroup to hear them. All of the police agencies in this county are dispatched by the county's trunked radio system, and have always been. RCC even though it was it's own dispatch, still used the same one.

cal680

Interesting

I was the communications supervisor at Edgewater PD for 18 years. I find it interesting they have put three depts on the same channel. The whole purpose of the great 800 radio system (and I say that with a LOL) was so everyone could have their own channel and not interfere with anyone else., but you could talk to anyone in the county just by pushing the right button. Seems to me by putting those three together they are going backwards. I am interested in seeing what happens when all three have some major event going on - who gets the air first? Sounds like somebody got sold a bill of goods - again.

mk262

Premium Subscriber
I was the communications supervisor at Edgewater PD for 18 years. I find it interesting they have put three depts on the same channel. The whole purpose of the great 800 radio system (and I say that with a LOL) was so everyone could have their own channel and not interfere with anyone else., but you could talk to anyone in the county just by pushing the right button. Seems to me by putting those three together they are going backwards. I am interested in seeing what happens when all three have some major event going on - who gets the air first? Sounds like somebody got sold a bill of goods - again.

It's pretty normal, as far as I can tell. LE3 and LE5 have been operating that way for many years. They all just take turns during normal traffic. When they 10-33 the channel everyone moves over to another talkgroup. I forget what the rules are but I know LE3 goes to LE1, as an example. It seems handy to have vcso ready to jump in there too.

aforsman

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have any information regarding LE TAC 1 and LE 6 ? I know that they have had a TAC 6 for some time now but was curious if LE 6 was born...... i spent all day building a new profile for my Orions, MRK's, LPE's and Jaguars after years of being on the same system now this lol but i guess it's better than their original plan to go with ESK

aforsman

Premium Subscriber
Also wondering if anyone knew how evac was communicating now i heard comms on EVAC 1, 2 and 7 i am assuming that 1 is for East Side and 2 is for West side with 7 still being for Admin.... and also noticed that there is now a 3rd Teletype 1 for west side VC one for NE VC and one for SE VC?????

Does anyone have any information regarding LE TAC 1 and LE 6 ? I know that they have had a TAC 6 for some time now but was curious if LE 6 was born...... i spent all day building a new profile for my Orions, MRK's, LPE's and Jaguars after years of being on the same system now this lol but i guess it's better than their original plan to go with ESK

mk262

Premium Subscriber

01-076 is one of the new teletypes I'm aware of and I put it in the database. Unfortunately I do not know the proper name of the talkgroup. I have 01-055 as Tac 6. Does that help?

Unfortunately I'm ignorant of how the evac/vcfr is working now but I'd be interested to hear the answer.

FYI NSB, Edgewater and POPD are still using some of their previous supplemental talkgroups even though they're dispatching with the county.

I didn't know ESK was ever on the table. Why would they have ever wanted to do that? They can already encrypt on edacs (and there is encrypted traffic on volusia's system) and I don't think unauthorized users have been a problem. Anyway they're going to p25 which I assume you already know. VCSO's PIO told me the county is not encrypting but I know dbpd has expressed interest in that. We'll see how it plays out.

Are the former RCC agencies going to switch to the county's traditional signal/10 code dispatch system, or will they keep them plain talk? Anyone know?

Last edited:

aforsman

Premium Subscriber
i have had Tac 6 just have not seen nore heard of an LE 6, tac 6 has been around for some time now..... the new TTY i believe is for SE VC as i heard POPD chatting on it yesterday and DB/D3/OB are still on the old TTY CH and yes i knew of the P25 switch any idea when that will be as the last i knew it was years down the road

there was talk a while back of the ESK system but that may just be for DBPD as they where talking about going back to their own system but who knows at this point everything is still up in the air lol (no pun intended)

01-076 is one of the new teletypes I'm aware of and I put it in the database. Unfortunately I do not know the proper name of the talkgroup. I have 01-055 as Tac 6. Does that help?

Unfortunately I'm ignorant of how the evac/vcfr is working now but I'd be interested to hear the answer.

FYI NSB, Edgewater and POPD are still using some of their previous supplemental talkgroups even though they're dispatching with the county.

I didn't know ESK was ever on the table. Why would they have ever wanted to do that? They can already encrypt on edacs (and there is encrypted traffic on volusia's system) and I don't think unauthorized users have been a problem. Anyway they're going to p25 which I assume you already know. VCSO's PIO told me the county is not encrypting but I know dbpd has expressed interest in that. We'll see how it plays out.

Are the former RCC agencies going to switch to the county's traditional signal/10 code dispatch system, or will they keep them plain talk? Anyone know?

mk262

Premium Subscriber
i have had Tac 6 just have not seen nore heard of an LE 6, tac 6 has been around for some time now..... the new TTY i believe is for SE VC as i heard POPD chatting on it yesterday and DB/D3/OB are still on the old TTY CH and yes i knew of the P25 switch any idea when that will be as the last i knew it was years down the road

there was talk a while back of the ESK system but that may just be for DBPD as they where talking about going back to their own system but who knows at this point everything is still up in the air lol (no pun intended)

LE6 (district 6) is provoice. I do not know what talkgroup it is. If one of your radios supports provoice you most certainly could listen to it (or use DSD and a linux box).

I'm not sure when P25 is happening, precisely, but I think it's supposed to be implemented in part by 2013.

cal680

P25

So what does it mean when they go to P25? Is anything going to change as far as listening to scanners?

shadcall

LE6 (district 6) is provoice. I do not know what talkgroup it is. If one of your radios supports provoice you most certainly could listen to it (or use DSD and a linux box).

I'm not sure when P25 is happening, precisely, but I think it's supposed to be implemented in part by 2013.

There is no requirement to go to P25. What is required by 2013 is they have to be narrowbanded. For more info check the RR Wiki
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Refarming

Last edited:

shadcall

So what does it mean when they go to P25? Is anything going to change as far as listening to scanners?

If they go to P25 it means you will need a digital scanner like the Pro 106 or Pro 197. I don't know what the Uniden models are that can pick up digital transmissions. From what I have heard it is several years off and by then who knows what technology will be available for public service radio communications.

Status
Not open for further replies.