Frequencies for Miami Dade County police

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMale0624

Premium Subscriber
Anyone know the frequencies for Metro Dade County police department and whether or not it is a digital frequency? I have an old RS PRO 97 which is strictly analog and don't have a problem picking up the fire department or the City of Miami police department but can't with the county cops.

ermin

CMale0624

Premium Subscriber
Ermin,
You have to forgive me if I seem a little stupid but if I put all the frequencies from the Dade County Public Safty group 2 that I should be able to hear them talking on my scanner? I think there's 20 freq. number's in that group.

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
Ermin,
You have to forgive me if I seem a little stupid but if I put all the frequencies from the Dade County Public Safty group 2 that I should be able to hear them talking on my scanner? I think there's 20 freq. number's in that group.

That's correct. But remember they are an EDACS trunked system and you must program them as such. Also, when programming an EDACS system, the frequencies have to be programmed in the same order shown in the RR database.

CMale0624

Premium Subscriber
What exactly is an EDACS system and will a pro 97 be able to do that? Also how does one do that? So basically on a trunked system you have to find out what all the frequencies are in the particular group and then program them into the scanner (in order). I also seem to have another problem. I usually listem to my mobile scanner in my house with an AC adapter. When I turned my scanner off it erases all the frequencies out of the scanner. Does that mean that there should always be some kind of battery in the scanner to prevent this whether they be regular batteries or rechargeable. I want to really thank you for your information, I feel I have learned quite a bit reading this and all these forum's. One other question relating to my last question. If I buy a scanner online from a place like scanner master's and they program it for me with my county frequencies, what to prevent it all being erased if I have a power outage while I'm listening to it? Would everything get erased and I would be back at square one with nothing programed in it and have to start all over?

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
What exactly is an EDACS system and will a pro 97 be able to do that? Also how does one do that? So basically on a trunked system you have to find out what all the frequencies are in the particular group and then program them into the scanner (in order). I also seem to have another problem. I usually listem to my mobile scanner in my house with an AC adapter. When I turned my scanner off it erases all the frequencies out of the scanner. Does that mean that there should always be some kind of battery in the scanner to prevent this whether they be regular batteries or rechargeable. I want to really thank you for your information, I feel I have learned quite a bit reading this and all these forum's. One other question relating to my last question. If I buy a scanner online from a place like scanner master's and they program it for me with my county frequencies, what to prevent it all being erased if I have a power outage while I'm listening to it? Would everything get erased and I would be back at square one with nothing programed in it and have to start all over?

I can't answer your question relating to the Pro97 as I've never owned one. However, i'm sure you will have someone on this forum who can chime in. In the meantime, check out these links:

Trunked Radio Systems - The RadioReference Wiki
EDACS - The RadioReference Wiki

They should give you a better idea of trunking and more specifically EDACS. As for the power outage and memory loss, I've never seen that and that is definitely not normal in any scanner. I've had scanners that sitting around for months without batteries and they work just fine when I power them up.

jc96

I own a Pro-164 which happens to be the same layout as the 97. EDACS stands for Enhanced Digital Access Communication System. This trunking system (Miami-Dade Public Safety) operates using 20 frequencies. One of these is a control channel. Essentially, the talk groups talk with the control channel and are assigned a frequency. They then can talk. To listen to EDACS, simply enter all of the frequencies for that sector of talk groups in logical channel order (the way radio reference has the frequencies listed.) After doing that, adjust the mode to EDACS on the scanner from FM on all frequencies. Then, press the trunk button. The scanner will lead you to the bank that corresponds with the channels and banks for the frequencies (e.g, 100; 1-0.) Just enter the talk groups and press scan. Make sure to be in the correct mode, however (EDACS, Motorola, LTR etc.) Also, program the control frequency at the bottom of the page under N.E. Municipal. I find that this control channel is required for scanning public safety. When all is done, the frequencies should be in this order:

866.03750ED
855.01250ED
866.28750ED
866.76250ED
867.06250ED
867.41250ED
867.78750ED
868.13750ED
868.38750ED
868.63750ED
868.88750ED
866.06250ED
866.31250ED
866.56250ED
866.81250ED
867.11250ED
867.36250ED
867.56250ED
867.81250ED
868.16250ED
868.41250ED

ENJOY!

CMale0624

Premium Subscriber
Thank's for the tip on trunking Miami Dade Public Safty. Just when I think I learn something new about scanning then someone throw's out a couple new phrases like EDASC or P25, geez, I think I'm going to have to go back to school for all this stuff and I'm just talking about scanning. What part of Miami are you in, I'm located in Kendall.

Chris

jc96

Thank's for the tip on trunking Miami Dade Public Safty. Just when I think I learn something new about scanning then someone throw's out a couple new phrases like EDASC or P25, geez, I think I'm going to have to go back to school for all this stuff and I'm just talking about scanning. What part of Miami are you in, I'm located in Kendall.

Chris

Cool. I am located in the Hammocks just off of SW 104 ST and 150 CT. I listen to the Hammocks Dispatch area as well as MDFR West Dispatch. What do you listen to as far as dispatch frequencies go? If you need a more thorough explanation on trunking systems, you can visit the radio reference wiki here: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Trunking_Basics

Last edited:

CMale0624

Premium Subscriber
I haven't had hardly any experiance with scanner's. I recieved a Pro 42 about 20 years ago but it was only 100 channels or less so I lost interest. Then about 5 year's ago I bought a Pro 97 and would only program (manually) a dew frequencies from my Radio Shack book. Maily it was Fire and the helicopter from Tamiami Airport. I could never find the police frequencies. I had no idea what trunking, or anything else meant with scanning. I just thought primarely you turned it on, hit scan and then just set back and listened......WRONG. I still have my Pro 97 but when I turn it on the frequenciey number don't show up in the dial. I have no idea if it's scanning or just completely blank. The light work's from time to time and I'm able to pick up the weather frequency. So now that I'm retired I been thinking of getting another scanner (GRE 500) which will be able to handle both analog and digital. Figure I'll probably drop around $400 doing that. Buy the way, I'm not to far from you, about 8 block's southeast of Miami Dade College. What kind of scanner or radio's do you have?

jc96

I haven't had hardly any experiance with scanner's. I recieved a Pro 42 about 20 years ago but it was only 100 channels or less so I lost interest. Then about 5 year's ago I bought a Pro 97 and would only program (manually) a dew frequencies from my Radio Shack book. Maily it was Fire and the helicopter from Tamiami Airport. I could never find the police frequencies. I had no idea what trunking, or anything else meant with scanning. I just thought primarely you turned it on, hit scan and then just set back and listened......WRONG. I still have my Pro 97 but when I turn it on the frequenciey number don't show up in the dial. I have no idea if it's scanning or just completely blank. The light work's from time to time and I'm able to pick up the weather frequency. So now that I'm retired I been thinking of getting another scanner (GRE 500) which will be able to handle both analog and digital. Figure I'll probably drop around $400 doing that. Buy the way, I'm not to far from you, about 8 block's southeast of Miami Dade College. What kind of scanner or radio's do you have?

Sounds like you definitely need a new scanner. I was the same way a few years ago. At first, I purchased a pro-82. It had only 200 channels and was able to scan up to 512MHz. Then, I discovered the Pro-164 Triple Trunker. At this point, I had an idea of what trunk scanning was, but I did not quite know how to program it. Only until a few months ago did a light bulb finally turn on in my brain. Just this past Christmas, I received a Pro-163. Now, I use all three scanners to triple trunk and listen to fire rescue. I also have two Baofeng ham radios. I am in the process of acquiring a ham radio license.

jc96

Sounds like you definitely need a new scanner. I was the same way a few years ago. At first, I purchased a pro-82. It had only 200 channels and was able to scan up to 512MHz. Then, I discovered the Pro-164 Triple Trunker. At this point, I had an idea of what trunk scanning was, but I did not quite know how to program it. Only until a few months ago did a light bulb finally turn on in my brain. Just this past Christmas, I received a Pro-163. Now, I use all three scanners to triple trunk and listen to fire rescue. I also have two Baofeng ham radios. I am in the process of acquiring a ham radio license. Just like you, I am on the market to purchase a digital scanner. This time, I want the Uniden BCD396XT. It has P25 capabilities. Unfortunately, Miami-Dade Police is going to switch over to a P25 system. That means more money out of pocket.

CMale0624

Premium Subscriber
What kind of antenna's do you use on your handheld"s? Do you have to use that little one for picking up the 800 mhz frequencies for police. I think the GRE 500 has P 25 capabitities on it. ZHaven't bought it yet but I'm on Radio Reference all the time reading and learning.

The nest (for me)that I found so far is the GRE at Scanner Master's, it's about $350 and they will program it for you for dade County, problem is if they even change the frequencies, what do you do then? Do you know?

jc96

What kind of antenna's do you use on your handheld"s? Do you have to use that little one for picking up the 800 mhz frequencies for police. I think the GRE 500 has P 25 capabitities on it. ZHaven't bought it yet but I'm on Radio Reference all the time reading and learning.

The nest (for me)that I found so far is the GRE at Scanner Master's, it's about $350 and they will program it for you for dade County, problem is if they even change the frequencies, what do you do then? Do you know?

On my Pro-164, I use the thin 800MHz antenna that you can buy at Radio Shack. On my Pro-86, I use a basic rubber duck. If Scanner Master programs the scanner for you, you won't have to do anything at all. Just turn it on and start scanning.

Status
Not open for further replies.