Marion county???

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeRanKeR

Premium Subscriber
I am horrible when it comes to things like this- but at the same time, I love to listen to it- So I keep wondering.....I live out in Ocklawaha..... WHY doesn't anyone do a stream for Marion SO, OPD, and whatnot... There's a stream for the Fire Rescue but after a while of only hearing alert tones it gets boring fast... Will someone PLEASE get a Marion SO, or OPD stream going?? Seriously whoever got one going would be my idol. I don't always listen to RadioReference, but I have an app (Scanner Radio) on my android that allows me to listen to streams on the go (from RadioReference, and a few other streaming sites)
Oh well, it doesn't hurt to ask. By the way, whoever does the stream for Miami-Dade you are awesome.

trooper890

Marion

Why don't YOU join the ranks of audio providers and stream Marion County for all of us to enjoy?

DeRanKeR

Premium Subscriber
Because I have zilch knowledge of scanners, and Marion county is on the P25 system and I don't have 500 dollars for a digital trunking scanner.

khoelldobler

Premium Subscriber
now residing in Ocala, Florida since 1999
live Marion area feeds

Because I have zilch knowledge of scanners, and Marion county is on the P25 system and I don't have 500 dollars for a digital trunking scanner.

Good Answer... yes, 500 bucks is alot of money for a scanner these days. Luckily Ratshack has periodic sales and a P25 digital scanner such as the Pro-106 can be purchased at a fair price once and a while. I wanted to run a live stream for MC and/or OPD but I cant afford to run my home computer 24/7 for the stream. My home pc is gettin old and I dont think it would support running a stream continuously without giving me headaches. From what I understand, running a stream may even use up a bit of computer memory and mine is just barely holding it's own.

MC and OPD have been using silent dispatching, and in many instances there is not always that much to listen to lately.... many comm's are transmitted thru data terminal computers in the city and county vehicles, and alot goes on, un-noticed, behind the scenes with-out us locals even hearing it. That's technology for ya. If I owned a newed home computer, I myself would entertain our radioreference friends with the feed, but as it stands currently, I'm in no position.

DeRanKeR

Premium Subscriber
Yeah I was looking at scannermaster.com and the PRO-106 seemed like a good enough system, and when I go to the Radioshack on silver springs boulevard (the one by the staples) the guy kept telling me that OPD and the SO were using encryption, so I didn't go for it... But if OPD and Marion SO doesn't have much to listen to then I guess it's more or less a question of practicality. I listen to radioreference on my phone all the time (Miami especially- they're always active) and occasionally the Marion fire rescue (nothing but emergency alert tones and dispatches for falls get boring fast though) Appreciate it khoelldobler. This requires further thinking (something my brain isn't used to doing.)

khoelldobler

Premium Subscriber
marion

just an fyi... Marion Cty encryps the SWAT channel, and Ocala encryps nothing. This info is confirmed, and may help you to make a decision for a future purchase. I have been monitoring the two systems exclusively, for many years now, and I can tell you that the silent dispatching started about a year ago for Ocala, and they seem to use that mode alot more often than the MCSO does. MC still be heard throughout the day, and there are days where Ocala wont use silent dispatch at all. If you reside in the Ocala area, both systems will come in strong, and the majority of great reception depends on a good outdoor antenna. I monitor and receive super strong signals, and enjoy listening when ever I am here by the computer. Many radio comms go direct when the poopy hits the fan... then wont sit and type on a data terminal when something big is underway, car chases, accidents, emergency situations where as the officers are so busy, they only utilize the radio mic and its the most interesting things to monitor live. Still a good investment for the money, and the 106 being a handheld can be taken with you, where ever you go if needed. Just take notice of the FL scanner laws for our state, they are stronger here than most states. Take care my friend.

73cuda

Good links Bob, I wasn't aware of those.

I know I'm getting in here late but I'm probably going to start a live feed of Marion County SD, Ocala PD and fire but not on RR as I want to have all channels scanning. So it will be a private feed but if you're a member of RR you can PM me (once I have it up and running) and I'll provide the info to receive it.

I don't want to make it completely open because I don't want to do anything against our local departments and make their job even tougher, seriously !

I run my PC 24/7 for home automation, etc. so I may as well run the feed from my Pro106 again. Now all this is only if someone can tell me how to get ScannerCast to run without totally freezing up my PC after a day or so ???

And, I used to use No-IP but I'd like to find a free host if that's possible ?

DeRanKeR

Premium Subscriber
cuda that would be too awesome. (Broadcasting through RR would allow people to listen to it on the go i.e smartphones- this is what im limited to unfortunately) I like thtat there is already a Marion Fire Rescue feed, but I think it is only through an analogue feed all we get on there is emergency alert tones and rarely a call (mostly IMAs for a fall) Seriously if you could get them up and running it would be too great. Mainly the SO and Fire rescue (OPD is pretty far away when you live out in Ocklawaha)

And bob thanks for the links (Sorry for being late I just havent been on here lately)

Unrelated topic- does anyone know why they had the shandscair helicopter out here about a week ago?

73cuda

You will still be able to listen on smartphones, etc. I do that on my Droid and listen to it on my PC at work. (when I have the feed up and going) And I have to thank Kevin for all his work providing ALL the channels and alpha tags !!!

BTW: I forgot to mention, I went to the same Radio Shack you did and they were very nice but they kept telling me the same as they told you, "you can't receive ANY police or emergency transmissions because they are ALL digital" I just said OK, I'll take the Pro106 "DIGITAL SCANNER" !!! The same with the Radio Shack in the Paddock mall. I don't know who is putting this junk in their heads but it's like they've been brainwashed and I wasn't going to waste my time trying to re-educate them.

Anyway, I just gotta find out why ScannerCast crashes any PC I run it on.

DeRanKeR

Premium Subscriber
Ok, I've done a bit of research and I'm either going to get the 106 or (and only because I'm cheap) The PSR-600 and leave it at work for a continuous feed. (I'm aware its a desktop scanner)

Thanks to hotbob by the way, I checked his link to the firescan and found out about an explosion at the grayhound bus station on 1st ave today (also checked the with the pd to find the bomb threat) bob... great links.

Anyway, if one of you wouldn't mind I need a few pointers on the best setup (I'm not sure on how to do this...) Also is it possible to not only monior the SO but also the FD and OPD? Or would that overload it? Sorry guys but I have a (expletive deleted) ton of questions.

DeRanKeR

Premium Subscriber
Pro-197

So, Radioshack is having a sale on their PRO-197 triple trunking destop scanner. 375 isn't bad so I'm going for it. IIf anyone can help me on the best setup, that would be nice. Would appreciate anyones help. Like I said before, I have a ton of questions.

kayleesdad

don't they hit $299 on that once year, or is that just the pro106? been tempted to get a refurb 197 for $299 from them if they are available again, then maybe have a discriminator tap on it.

Last edited:

khoelldobler

Premium Subscriber
So, Radioshack is having a sale on their PRO-197 triple trunking destop scanner. 375 isn't bad so I'm going for it. IIf anyone can help me on the best setup, that would be nice. Would appreciate anyones help. Like I said before, I have a ton of questions.

I can help ya to set it up using my computer scanner software... I can clone your scanner to mine and you will have everything this County has to offer in terms of channels and talkgroups for the City and County. Let me know if you need my help, I'm in Ocala, near Ocala Christian Academy... a few blocks away from that landmark. Ive had a few RR members over to my place, where I've cloned thier radios to what I have... which is everything.

DeRanKeR

Premium Subscriber
I can help ya to set it up using my computer scanner software... I can clone your scanner to mine and you will have everything this County has to offer in terms of channels and talkgroups for the City and County. Let me know if you need my help, I'm in Ocala, near Ocala Christian Academy... a few blocks away from that landmark. Ive had a few RR members over to my place, where I've cloned thier radios to what I have... which is everything.

Ok sounds like a deal, it'll take a while to get ahold of you but I would definitely appreciate the help. I work at a small cash advance store on lake weir not too far from there. I'll send you a message so you can have the info for later.... Much appreciated Khoell

DeRanKeR

Premium Subscriber
Okay, so I've had this thing for some time now... I've tried reading the manual (to no avail) but it doesn't help. Anyway I see on here that you need some sort of software (not provided by-now I understand why you guys call it that- Ratshack) I'd like to just stream MCSO and MCFR (maybe OPD- if I leave it here in town)... I've tried videos for it, only to see people doing conventional systems. Needless to say this thing is driving me bonkers. Plus I have to find the cable to hook it up to the computer to get it running... Any help would be hugely appreciated.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Okay, so I've had this thing for some time now... I've tried reading the manual (to no avail) but it doesn't help. Anyway I see on here that you need some sort of software (not provided by-now I understand why you guys call it that- Ratshack) I'd like to just stream MCSO and MCFR (maybe OPD- if I leave it here in town)... I've tried videos for it, only to see people doing conventional systems. Needless to say this thing is driving me bonkers. Plus I have to find the cable to hook it up to the computer to get it running... Any help would be hugely appreciated.

You'll have to have a programming software to program the scanner I use ProScan which you can use the Radio Reference database for Ocala frequencies but you will have to be a database subscriber..

khoelldobler

Premium Subscriber
DeRanker, sent you an inbox message with my cell phone number... I can help you tomorrow (Sunday) if your available... call me to let me know. I also have a second pro-106 computer programming USB cable which convert the data to the PC, and maybe we can work something out. I have progrsammed quite a few scanner for members here, did it at my home, and members were extremely happy... and scanner knoweledgeable when they left here. Can make you happy too, by getting you educated on the scanner programming software. I have 2 different programs, and can show them to you.

Last edited:

khoelldobler

Premium Subscriber
DeRanker, sent you an inbox message with my cell phone number... I can help you tomorrow (Sunday) if your available... call me to let me know. I also have a second pro-106 computer programming USB cable which convert the data to the PC, and maybe we can work something out. I have progrsammed quite a few scanner for members here, did it at my home, and members were extremely happy... and scanner knoweledgeable when they left here. Can make you happy too, by getting you educated on the scanner programming software. I have 2 different programs, and can show them to you.

it was nice meeting and working with you over this weekend... glad I was able to help you with programming, take care buddy, and enjoy your scanner !

Kevin
Ocala, Fl.

DeRanKeR

Premium Subscriber
it was nice meeting and working with you over this weekend... glad I was able to help you with programming, take care buddy, and enjoy your scanner !

Likewise. Thanks for the help with demonstrating PSREDIT5000 and ID Tracker, those are some neat little additions. Particularly impressed with you hobby. Anyway I will not have the feeds going immediately. First i need to get ahold of the discone antenna- Probably by the beginning of the month it should be going. (yes it will mimic your scan list of 1,2,4,5) OPD, MCSO and MCFR.... Thanks for it all khoelldobler. Much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.