Leon County \ Tallahassee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

incarceration

I'm trying to get some trunked systems working on my PRO97, more specifically the ones on these pages:
Tallahassee / Leon County Trunking System, Tallahassee, Florida - Scanner Frequencies
Federal Correctional Institution Tallahassee Trunking System, Tallahassee, Florida - Scanner Frequencies

I have bank 8 filled with all RED freqs (without the "c"?) from the 2 pages,then I went into the trunk menu and programed the DEC talk IDs, labeled each with text labels, and set all freqs to the MO mode

Is this correct?

I have the Federal Corrections freqs mixed with the Leon County freqs as well as the talk IDs from both pages that I wanted are mixed in the same bank and trunk bank.

kg4ojj

Premium Subscriber
Your scanner will track Motorola Type II trunked systems. I have the base version of that scanner.

However, both the Tallahassee/Leon County and the Federal Corrections Institution have moved to a digital system. There may be analog talkgroups on the FCI system, but I have only heard digital talkgroups on the Tallahassee system. It might track the system, but you'll only hear buzzing (that's the digital radio traffic).

Now, I don't live in Tallahassee but travel there frequently for work. I was very familiar with their (old) analog system back in the early 2000s, as I was there nearly every day.

Much on the Tallahassee system is encrypted, anyway. This includes the police, sheriff, and EMS departments. Fire dispatch is still simulcasted to 154.190 (yeah!!).

The "DEC talk IDs" you used are decimal representation of the talkgroup number. In Motorola-speak, the actual radios on the systems are programmed with hexadecimal numbers. TFD dispatch is decimal # 81, but in hex it is # 051. Some scanners will allow you to program the hex number as talkgroups.

Otherwise, to scan a trunked system, you need to only program the control and alternate control channels. In RadioReference, those are the red (control) and blue (alternate control) frequencies. The scanner will set the voice channels as needed. This is for Motorola trunked systems only - EDACS and LTR systems will be programmed differently.

So, I guess you aren't hearing much???

incarceration

Yeah I programmed those in as such.

Nope, I'm not hearing ANYTHING from them. The only things I can hear are the FSU listed freqs and that's cause those are traditional FM analog.

If you look at this page: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=198 those are listed all as analog "A". Why can't I hear anything at all from any of those when I have the control channels in RED programmed, set to MO mode and then just setting all of the talkgroupIDs I want? Maybe because I'm putting int he decimal version as opposed to the hexadecimal? But I have no way of putting in any other form but numerical values in for talkgroupIDs lol

I'm assuming you're saying they moved to a digital ("D") and the database i'm looking at it outdated? Can you confirm I'm programming it correctly and I'm just not hearing anything AT ALL because of this shift to a digital system that my Pro97 cannot pick up?

Thanks for your response! It really cleared up some stuff

Last edited:

kg4ojj

Premium Subscriber
That system in your link is the old analog one.

Go back to the database page for Leon County and scroll down to the last trunked system on the list. It should have P25 in the title. That is the current system.

Your analog scanner would have worked fine on the old system. For now, stick with the other VHF and UHF frequencies in conventional mode, as you have them. Or, buy a digital scanner and listen to a handful of unencrypted talkgroups......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

incarceration

Yeah, I'm gonna just program the stuff in the root section of Leon County.

Thanks for the tip :)

Last edited:

dgoodson

Feed Provider
The database entries for talkgroups for the P25 system are a bit "discombobulated" and incomplete. If you look at the Leon County wiki for the P25 system, there is a pretty good list of what is encrypted, whatis unencrypted and identified, and unencrypted and unidentified.

There are a ton of unencrypted talkgroups, but most are utilities, public works etc. so they may not interest you. There are just a few LEO and EMS, and a fair number of FD.

kg4ojj

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the information, dgoodson.

Was there today and caught LifeFlight doing an orientation flight around the hospitals. They were on 453.075 with PL 100.0. @incarceration, there's one you can monitor with your scanner.

dgoodson

Feed Provider
The helos inbound to the hospitals are also heard on 123.025 (AM) announcing their arrivals

kg4ojj

Premium Subscriber
Yep. Very common across Florida. Used to use that frequency, when in Gainesville, to know to go outside with my camera for landing shots at UF/Shands.

For some reason, my scanner stopped on 453.075 with PL/CTCSS search on. Looking tonight, I see that I had already programmed the proper tone for LifeFlight in another channel.....and, it has been in the database for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.