RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Florida Radio Discussion Forum

Florida Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Florida.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 8:43 AM

I did some digging through FCC ULS listings and could not find any grants that included an emission designator for NXDN or 6.25kHz transmissions. All of the listings I found are 11K2F3E (NFM analog voice) and 20K0F3E (Old "wide band" 25kHz analog voice). Wondering if anyone else found new licenses or know of what frequencies they plan on using...
Old 09-29-2013, 9:53 AM

I think most of those iDAS systems can run both digital and analog mixed modes. Maybe they are going to run analog for a while?
Old 09-29-2013, 4:00 PM

Did Levy county specify whether or not they will be putting law enforcement on an idas system?

Could it be that they'll put OTHER county agencies on the idas system but keep law enforcement on SLERS?

It's impossible to tell by the wording of the press release.
Old 09-29-2013, 4:12 PM

From what I have gathered that SLERS has been one big "PITA". More holes in it than swiss cheese.
Old 09-30-2013, 8:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElroyJetson View Post
Did Levy county specify whether or not they will be putting law enforcement on an idas system?

Could it be that they'll put OTHER county agencies on the idas system but keep law enforcement on SLERS?

It's impossible to tell by the wording of the press release.
Agreed, the press release was pretty vague. I did some digging with google and came up with this doc.

http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/vi...?id=7022078780

Its a "request for waiver and extension" filed by the county to the FCC regarding the new iDAS system. The doc does state the system will be used for LEO/Fire. It also has some details regarding the deployment of the system.

Just got home from a long night shift and my brain is toast. This was all I could find for now. Ill do some more poking around and see what else I can find over the next few days.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:27 PM

FYI: I talked with one of the Levy County medics at work the other night. He was advised that they are still about 6 months from making the switch from SLERS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airems View Post
I think most of those iDAS systems can run both digital and analog mixed modes. Maybe they are going to run analog for a while?
I'm thinking that's a real possibility... I Did another FCC search last night and still couldn't find emission designators that matched any digital modes. Maybe they will run in analog mode for a while to work out some of the "bugs"
Old 05-29-2014, 11:18 AM

Any update on this? I am very interested in watching this play out. The few Icom digital systems that I have been a part of have been replaced withing 6 months for Kenwood or Moto. I acknowledge that I am biased as I work for a Moto shop.......... TT
Old 05-31-2014, 4:14 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

LOL, this is all too funny. Being a Kenwood Type C Trunking provider. 2 two channel sites, we might not
have absolute Tampa Bay coverage, but it works like a champion!

Just saying.
Old 06-18-2014, 5:52 PM

Some of you are focusing on licensing. They are licensed for the freqs. just not the emission type you anticipate. NXDN is the joke from ICOM.
Certainly better off to use Trbo and get additional channels.
Levy must have their head up their butt or only worried about doing it the cheapest way possible.
Oh wait they already got SLERED UP.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:04 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiomanNJ1 View Post
Some of you are focusing on licensing. They are licensed for the freqs. just not the emission type you anticipate. NXDN is the joke from ICOM.
Certainly better off to use Trbo and get additional channels.
Levy must have their head up their butt or only worried about doing it the cheapest way possible.
Oh wait they already got SLERED UP.
ICOM yeah, but NXDN is best for dispatching, not TRBO, and definitely not for PSA use. Big mistake there,
Old 06-24-2014, 2:41 PM

You saying "NXDN is best" is like me saying "TRBO is best." The more I see of these types of systems, the more it is apparent to me that the Dealer/Integrator is what makes the difference. The best technology in the world fails if it is not implemented correctly. I like TRBO and have a ton of experience. I do not have any experience with NXDN, other than ripping it out and replacing it with TRBO. That being said, the systems I remove are mostly improperly installed/configured. It would be hard for me to argue that any one digital flavor is better than any other. TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd4efm View Post
ICOM yeah, but NXDN is best for dispatching, not TRBO, and definitely not for PSA use. Big mistake there,
Old 06-24-2014, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaTyron View Post
The more I see of these types of systems, the more it is apparent to me that the Dealer/Integrator is what makes the difference. The best technology in the world fails if it is not implemented correctly TT

BINGO!!! How any crappy systems, that do not cover the intended coverage area are the direct result of not following the companies suggestion, or cutting corners by not purchasing all the infrastructure as recommended in the RFP response...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2014, 5:08 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

It all depends on the customer/business needs would they need a technology involving either Motorola MotoTRBO or Kenwood NXDN/Icom IDAS It's like comparing a Mercedes Benz vs. Cadillac Escalade. One person says MotoTRBO is better and someone says IDAS/NXDN is better than the other one. Like I said, it all depends on the nature of the customer and his or her's business place.

Last edited by N4CYA; 06-24-2014 at 5:23 PM..
Old 07-06-2014, 8:15 AM

So just for kicks I checked the FCC database for Levy County looking for possible frequencies that will be used for the new system. WQTU509 has been granted to Levy County with all associated frequencies having the emission designator "4K00F7W" aka "6.25 kHz single channel digital voice and data" per the RR wiki.

Here are the RR and FCC listings

WQTU509 (LEVY, COUNTY OF) FCC Callsign Details
ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Conventional License - WQTU509 - LEVY, COUNTY OF

I have no clue how much use they have currently... Guess Ill get my second SDR dongle set up with DSD+ and start playing around. Hopefully the new SDR# DSD GUI plugin will streamline this. It was a small PIA when I experimented with DSD and P25.
Old 02-28-2016, 3:12 PM

I know this is an older thread, but since Levy County was just updated with a single NXDN freq, I figured I'd ask my question:

Is Levy operating NXDN trunked or conventional? There are multiple NXDN freqs associated with the license (WQTU509) linked above. Emission designator is 4K00F7W.
Old 02-28-2016, 3:22 PM

I'm still stunned that any public safety agency would pick an NXDN solution for something that important.

I'm something of a veteran NXDN-experienced technician. I would not recommend it for public safety.

Not impressed.

However, I'm not going to say anything about any vendor or specific model that might conceivably be called slanderous or defaming.
Old 02-28-2016, 3:29 PM

Elroy, you've forgotten more about radios than I know. Can you tell by looking at the license if they're trunked or not? It appears to me that they are not. I picked up an Icom NXDN portable for when the railroads move, but figured I'd add Levy in as well if I can figure out how to program them (trunked vs. conventional).
Old 03-02-2016, 7:09 PM

Even if they were to go to conventional NXDN, aren't there other programming considerations for your radio to monitor them? Similar to color code or NAC or other settings necessary to receive even conventional transmissions?

Thanks.
Old 03-02-2016, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bote View Post
Even if they were to go to conventional NXDN, aren't there other programming considerations for your radio to monitor them? Similar to color code or NAC or other settings necessary to receive even conventional transmissions?

Thanks.
If it is conventional and not encrypted, all he'd need to know is the frequency. RAN codes can be set to 0, which is analogous to carrier squelch. Only other issue is that NXDN comes in two flavors, Narrow and Very Narrow.
Narrow NXDN is 12.5KHz, or 9.6KB
Very Narrow NXDN is 6.25KHz, or 4.8KHz
The two are NOT interchangeable. A radio set to Narrow NXDN will not decode very narrow NXDN and vice/versa.
Old 03-02-2016, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt21 View Post
Elroy, you've forgotten more about radios than I know. Can you tell by looking at the license if they're trunked or not? It appears to me that they are not. I picked up an Icom NXDN portable for when the railroads move, but figured I'd add Levy in as well if I can figure out how to program them (trunked vs. conventional).
If you look at the "service code" on the FCC license it can indicate if it's trunked or not:
FCC Radio Service Codes - The RadioReference Wiki

Tags
fla nxdn, levy county, nxdn