Levy County, Fla to go Icom iDAS NXDN

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
MissionCritical Communications, Radio Resource International, and Public Safety Report - wireless voice and data communications for mobile, remote and public safety operations

Florida County Selects NXDN System from Icom (7/12/13)
Icom America was contracted by Levy County, Fla., to supply, install, optimize and maintain an NXDN digital two-way radio system for its county agencies. Deployment of an Icom Digital Advanced System (IDAS) will occur during 2013 to improve Levy County radio communications and support its initiatives.

Levy County’s new system promotes interoperability, operational efficiency and accelerated response times during emergencies, an Icom statement said. The new NXDN network will improve wide-area radio coverage over Levy County’s unique topography, climate and various population centers. IDAS also enhanced talkback capability in portable and mobile radios and provided seamless radio coverage across Levy County’s approximate 1,100 square miles.

A statement said the system offers flexible migration and scalable solutions to continually satisfy the communications requirements of Levy County, the sixth-largest county in Florida.

whooey

Levy Co is using the state SLERS system now right? Will this new system be scannable with a HP-1 or PSR-800 or a GRE PSR-500?

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Levy Co is using the state SLERS system now right? Will this new system be scannable with a HP-1 or PSR-800 or a GRE PSR-500?

No scanner will not pick up the new systems at all at this time. I believe there is a DSD software will work. I haven't try it since my area is analog still. No scanner will not pick up the SLERS. When they go to p25 l than any digital scanner will work.

whooey

Your post is a lil confusing, coupled with the fact my coffee hasn't kicked in yet!

Correct, SLERS is not scannable.

Will the new iDAS NXDN system be scannable?

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; SPH-L710 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Think of NXDN as Icom digital, like ProVoice is EDACS digital. Another proprietary digital format. No scanners can monitor NXDN. The DSD computer program CAN decode it supposedly.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
NXDN is NOT proprietary, the implementation of the trunking features is, but the CAI is published. The problem is Uniden has not implemented it in their scanners yet. DSD is the only solution to monitor it.

Sent from an unknown place...

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; SPH-L710 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Ok, I stand corrected. Just knew it was unique to Icom/Kenwood.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.746 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Bolt21 said:

Ok, I stand corrected. Just knew it was unique to Icom/Kenwood.

Unique only in that they are the only 2 companies(that I know of) that are offering that particular digital format. Regardless, scanners do not decode this format.

rapidcharger

If its conventional, any kenwood nexedge radio or Icom idas radio will do the job if you want to monitor provided it's not encrypted. Icoms are usually a lot cheaper on the second hand market. If its trunked, you will want an icom radio.

radiomanNJ1

Interoperability??? With whom??
Climate? It's freaking Floirida
Is it Bull the press release? YES SIR.
It's cheaper than P25 and it's probably just for the local government side not SO.
Wonder how that SLERS thing is working down there? The State was not able to sell that many people in populated areas on SLERS. Of course with only a few channels per site what can you expect?

ke4crc

Premium Subscriber
Wonder how that SLERS thing is working down there?

Today while visiting Family in Levy Co. I was talking to Ems and they don"t carry HT's with them inside people's homes they would not elaborate why and their Volunteer pagers have a very noisy reception in Bronson & they are still on VHF.
If i had to Guess it doesn't work worth a ....

bobslydell73

Today while visiting Family in Levy Co. I was talking to Ems and they don"t carry HT's with them inside people's homes they would not elaborate why and their Volunteer pagers have a very noisy reception in Bronson & they are still on VHF.
If i had to Guess it doesn't work worth a ....
I personally know some deputes and firefighters from Levy County and they have nothing good to say about SLERS. They tell me that there are large areas of the county that has no portable coverage at all! According to a few rumors I have overheard only fire, EMS, and public works are going NXDN.

KG4YNH

SLERS is horrible in Levy Co. Less than 60% HT coverage county wide. That's why Williston police/fire aren't on it. No reliable HT coverage. The closest SLERS sites are 15+ miles away in any direction from Williston.
When SLERS demo'd for Levy, they set the radios to analog and the coverage was ok. Analog is not avail now. Very shady.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

ki4wbn

That's because SLERS isn't designed for portable coverage, except in certain metro areas. Levy County is not one of those areas. It's designed for 98% mobile coverage.

When a county comes onto SLERS they can build their own sites for better county coverage and tie into the SLERS system- after all it is primarily a state system, giving counties the OPTION to come on if they want to.

Ideally, Levy would have much better coverage if they put a site in the center of the county, but with the 4 sites being at each corner of the county, they won't have the best portable coverage.

As for the analog/digital situation, when an agency joins onto the SLERS system, they have the option of deciding whether they want their talkgroups to be analog or digital-and which ones are.

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
I have heard nothing but negative things about the Icom implementation of the trunking side of NXDN (tons of firmware updates, using customer to beta test, etc). Also, the portables don't hold up well to anything other than light industrial use. Full disclosure....... I am the system designer for a large Motorola shop. Don't Rayfield me bro.......... TT

airems

SLERS is horrible in Levy Co. Less than 60% HT coverage county wide. That's why Williston police/fire aren't on it. No reliable HT coverage. The closest SLERS sites are 15+ miles away in any direction from Williston.
When SLERS demo'd for Levy, they set the radios to analog and the coverage was ok. Analog is not avail now. Very shady.

Shady and SLERS in the same sentence. Now that's funny !!!

KG4YNH

That's because SLERS isn't designed for portable coverage, except in certain metro areas. Levy County is not one of those areas. It's designed for 98% mobile coverage.

When a county comes onto SLERS they can build their own sites for better county coverage and tie into the SLERS system- after all it is primarily a state system, giving counties the OPTION to come on if they want to.

Ideally, Levy would have much better coverage if they put a site in the center of the county, but with the 4 sites being at each corner of the county, they won't have the best portable coverage.

As for the analog/digital situation, when an agency joins onto the SLERS system, they have the option of deciding whether they want their talkgroups to be analog or digital-and which ones are.

Agreed. Except that's not in their sales pitch.

And IDAS may not be the end all be all, but it can't be much worse. And they own it. So they have a say in what happens. With SLERS, you get what you get.

Who knows. I don't have a dog in the hunt. Just an opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.