RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Florida Radio Discussion Forum

Florida Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Florida.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 10:53 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Levy County, Fla to go Icom iDAS NXDN

MissionCritical Communications, Radio Resource International, and Public Safety Report - wireless voice and data communications for mobile, remote and public safety operations

Florida County Selects NXDN System from Icom (7/12/13)
Icom America was contracted by Levy County, Fla., to supply, install, optimize and maintain an NXDN digital two-way radio system for its county agencies. Deployment of an Icom Digital Advanced System (IDAS) will occur during 2013 to improve Levy County radio communications and support its initiatives.

Levy County’s new system promotes interoperability, operational efficiency and accelerated response times during emergencies, an Icom statement said. The new NXDN network will improve wide-area radio coverage over Levy County’s unique topography, climate and various population centers. IDAS also enhanced talkback capability in portable and mobile radios and provided seamless radio coverage across Levy County’s approximate 1,100 square miles.

A statement said the system offers flexible migration and scalable solutions to continually satisfy the communications requirements of Levy County, the sixth-largest county in Florida.
Sponsored links
Old 07-16-2013, 1:35 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Can you hear me now.
Old 07-21-2013, 8:06 PM

Levy Co is using the state SLERS system now right? Will this new system be scannable with a HP-1 or PSR-800 or a GRE PSR-500?
Old 07-22-2013, 3:47 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by whooey View Post
Levy Co is using the state SLERS system now right? Will this new system be scannable with a HP-1 or PSR-800 or a GRE PSR-500?
No scanner will not pick up the new systems at all at this time. I believe there is a DSD software will work. I haven't try it since my area is analog still. No scanner will not pick up the SLERS. When they go to p25 l than any digital scanner will work.
Old 07-22-2013, 8:22 AM

Your post is a lil confusing, coupled with the fact my coffee hasn't kicked in yet!

Correct, SLERS is not scannable.

Will the new iDAS NXDN system be scannable?
Old 07-22-2013, 9:04 AM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; SPH-L710 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Think of NXDN as Icom digital, like ProVoice is EDACS digital. Another proprietary digital format. No scanners can monitor NXDN. The DSD computer program CAN decode it supposedly.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:08 AM

NXDN is NOT proprietary, the implementation of the trunking features is, but the CAI is published. The problem is Uniden has not implemented it in their scanners yet. DSD is the only solution to monitor it.

Sent from an unknown place...
Old 07-22-2013, 10:16 AM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; SPH-L710 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Ok, I stand corrected. Just knew it was unique to Icom/Kenwood.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:53 AM

Got it, thanks everyone.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:52 AM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.746 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt21

Ok, I stand corrected. Just knew it was unique to Icom/Kenwood.
Unique only in that they are the only 2 companies(that I know of) that are offering that particular digital format. Regardless, scanners do not decode this format.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:08 PM

If its conventional, any kenwood nexedge radio or Icom idas radio will do the job if you want to monitor provided it's not encrypted. Icoms are usually a lot cheaper on the second hand market. If its trunked, you will want an icom radio.
Old 09-18-2013, 7:30 PM

Any updates or rumor mill updates on Levy's ICOM Project or rollout ? Thanks !
Old 09-21-2013, 6:54 AM

Interoperability??? With whom??
Climate? It's freaking Floirida
Is it Bull the press release? YES SIR.
It's cheaper than P25 and it's probably just for the local government side not SO.
Wonder how that SLERS thing is working down there? The State was not able to sell that many people in populated areas on SLERS. Of course with only a few channels per site what can you expect?
Old 09-21-2013, 8:22 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiomanNJ1 View Post

Wonder how that SLERS thing is working down there?
Today while visiting Family in Levy Co. I was talking to Ems and they don"t carry HT's with them inside people's homes they would not elaborate why and their Volunteer pagers have a very noisy reception in Bronson & they are still on VHF.
If i had to Guess it doesn't work worth a ....
Old 09-22-2013, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke4crc View Post
Today while visiting Family in Levy Co. I was talking to Ems and they don"t carry HT's with them inside people's homes they would not elaborate why and their Volunteer pagers have a very noisy reception in Bronson & they are still on VHF.
If i had to Guess it doesn't work worth a ....
I personally know some deputes and firefighters from Levy County and they have nothing good to say about SLERS. They tell me that there are large areas of the county that has no portable coverage at all! According to a few rumors I have overheard only fire, EMS, and public works are going NXDN.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:18 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

SLERS is horrible in Levy Co. Less than 60% HT coverage county wide. That's why Williston police/fire aren't on it. No reliable HT coverage. The closest SLERS sites are 15+ miles away in any direction from Williston.
When SLERS demo'd for Levy, they set the radios to analog and the coverage was ok. Analog is not avail now. Very shady.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 09-23-2013, 2:25 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

That's because SLERS isn't designed for portable coverage, except in certain metro areas. Levy County is not one of those areas. It's designed for 98% mobile coverage.

When a county comes onto SLERS they can build their own sites for better county coverage and tie into the SLERS system- after all it is primarily a state system, giving counties the OPTION to come on if they want to.

Ideally, Levy would have much better coverage if they put a site in the center of the county, but with the 4 sites being at each corner of the county, they won't have the best portable coverage.

As for the analog/digital situation, when an agency joins onto the SLERS system, they have the option of deciding whether they want their talkgroups to be analog or digital-and which ones are.
Old 09-23-2013, 4:11 PM

I have heard nothing but negative things about the Icom implementation of the trunking side of NXDN (tons of firmware updates, using customer to beta test, etc). Also, the portables don't hold up well to anything other than light industrial use. Full disclosure....... I am the system designer for a large Motorola shop. Don't Rayfield me bro.......... TT
Old 09-23-2013, 7:56 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG4YNH View Post
SLERS is horrible in Levy Co. Less than 60% HT coverage county wide. That's why Williston police/fire aren't on it. No reliable HT coverage. The closest SLERS sites are 15+ miles away in any direction from Williston.
When SLERS demo'd for Levy, they set the radios to analog and the coverage was ok. Analog is not avail now. Very shady.

Shady and SLERS in the same sentence. Now that's funny !!!
Old 09-23-2013, 8:08 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki4wbn View Post
That's because SLERS isn't designed for portable coverage, except in certain metro areas. Levy County is not one of those areas. It's designed for 98% mobile coverage.

When a county comes onto SLERS they can build their own sites for better county coverage and tie into the SLERS system- after all it is primarily a state system, giving counties the OPTION to come on if they want to.

Ideally, Levy would have much better coverage if they put a site in the center of the county, but with the 4 sites being at each corner of the county, they won't have the best portable coverage.

As for the analog/digital situation, when an agency joins onto the SLERS system, they have the option of deciding whether they want their talkgroups to be analog or digital-and which ones are.
Agreed. Except that's not in their sales pitch.

And IDAS may not be the end all be all, but it can't be much worse. And they own it. So they have a say in what happens. With SLERS, you get what you get.

Who knows. I don't have a dog in the hunt. Just an opinion.

Tags
fla nxdn, levy county, nxdn