Two Tone Detect. Tones for Broward Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRosado

I am currently setting up Two Tone Direct.

Anyone have a list of the Tone out info for Broward Sheriff Fire or any other departments in Broward?

Thanks,

dgoodson

Feed Provider
Chief21- I do not live in the area, but I did listen for a bit to their online feed. I have used Two Tone Detect successfully quite a bit, but I am with you... doesn't sound like there are any "tones" associated with dispatch that would be of use to TTD.

AK4FD

Catawba County, NC — FF/EMT, COML, AUXC, Skywarn
Premium Subscriber
I am currently setting up Two Tone Direct.

Anyone have a list of the Tone out info for Broward Sheriff Fire or any other departments in Broward?

Thanks,
There's no tones for departments in Broward anymore... Nobody uses tones. Maybe Plantation does but nobody else.

KF4UHJ

Premium Subscriber
Tones ARE in use

Contrary to what most are saying about tones being on the way out, at this moment, I am still hearing alternating 2-tone alerts on Ft. Lauderdale Police, District 1. Usually only on urgent calls. Does anyone have the actual frequencies? I would like to program them in for urgent calls.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
What you are hearing on the PD channels are ALERT tones - used only to get everyone's attention.

The tone decoders in the Uniden scanners are intended for SIGNALING tones, which are typically used to activate a receiving device by decoding a particular set of tones transmitted in a particular sequence.

Since I haven't really used the Uniden tone decoder, I'm not sure if they could be programmed to activate on the alternating ALERT tones.

Comments....??

-JK

AK4FD

Premium Subscriber
I doubt any tone alert detector could detect ALERT tones like on the PD channel; Most require the tone to be constantly audible for 1 full second or more before it can activate the speaker. Alert tones on PD channels are usually very quick and short bursts, not giving the decoder enough time to "read" the tone and open the speaker. Plus you usually need 2 tones for a decoder to activate and both tones have to be at least 1 second long each, the 2nd part of the tone normally is longer than a second.

Last edited:

KF4UHJ

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the clarification. I do think these may just be attention-getting tones, as they always seem to vary in length of each tone and duration... almost as though the dispatcher is just rapidly pressing a button. Sometimes it's just a very short little beep!

One13Truck

Feed Provider
Re:

Try audacity. As long as the tone burst is long enough to select it and it's a clear section of audio it should be able to ID the tones. And even if it's a very quick tap of audio you can zoom in and still catch it. It's worked great for me for years.

As others have said I don't know if ID'ing it would lead to being able to use it to set up for an alerting system because I haven't heard the tones you're asking about. But it's always worth a shot.

AK4FD

Premium Subscriber
Yes that's is true I forgot, if you are able to hook the scanner up to a computer or laptop, and you have a sound editing program, such as Audacity or Sony Sound Forge like I have, all you have to do is record the tones and select the sound wave and process it.

dgoodson

Feed Provider
Two tone detect will absolutely detect "alert tones" including "warble tones" though that is not its intended purpose. Use Audacity to find the frequencies... and "spacing". You can fiddle with the durations and gap settings in TTD and it will work. I do it all the time on local channels. I have attached an example. The settings for this detect are ATone=349Hz, Duration .3, BTone=349Hz, Duration .3. Works like a champ.

I have also detected warbles, I think they are 1200/1000 around here. Same basic idea

Attachments

• Tallahassee_FD_2014-06-1511_04_18_746000.zip
    26 KB · Views: 27
Status
Not open for further replies.