RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Florida Radio Discussion Forum

Florida Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Florida.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2014, 5:21 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Farmington, Connecticut
Posts: 66
Default Daytona Beach Bike Week

I will be attending the 2014 Bike Week in March and would appreciate if someone could advise me as to where I might find a custom file for the area for use in my scanner. I use the Uniden BCD996XT and 396XT so both conventional and trunked systems capable. If not a custom file, perhaps a listing of what services I can load from RR. I am not familur with the trunked system names and haven't researched them as yet, hoping to avail myself of your native knowledge of the area.

Thanks in advance,

Bill
__________________
Bill
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
        
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2014, 5:29 PM
902's Avatar
902 902 is offline
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Downsouthsomewhere
Posts: 1,441
Default

The database is your friend.

Volusia County Public Safety Trunking System, Volusia County, Florida - Scanner Frequencies
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2014, 5:44 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 161
Default

Bike week is getting more spread out every year they will also bring in numerous other agencies as it spreads out now to Orlando. There will be FBI, DEA, ATF, FDLE along with a host of others all encrypted. For every uniform you see in Daytona beach there will be 6-8 UC's. If it were me I would Not go into Daytona proper (Boot Hill, Froggys etc) except early in the week in the morning. Buy T-shirts etc take some pictures then head off back to the mainland.

Stay out at the Cabbage Patch or near the Iron Horse and remember to just have a good time. But realize some LEO members might not be in the best of moods. There will be International clubs there, Bandidos, Mongols, Outlaws and Vagos to name a few.

You can have a great time I went there from the late 1970's until around 2000. Have a good time my information is geared more towards a visitor. Remember there are a Lot of inexperienced bike riders and Florida vehicle operators can be challenging as well.

just an fyi I'm down off my soap-box now.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-10-2014, 11:35 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Port Orange, FL
Posts: 591
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1chu View Post
I will be attending the 2014 Bike Week in March and would appreciate if someone could advise me as to where I might find a custom file for the area for use in my scanner. I use the Uniden BCD996XT and 396XT so both conventional and trunked systems capable. If not a custom file, perhaps a listing of what services I can load from RR. I am not familur with the trunked system names and haven't researched them as yet, hoping to avail myself of your native knowledge of the area.

Thanks in advance,

Bill
Bill, be sure and load all three systems in your scanner, A, B, and Daytona Beach. The last one is rarely used but is used during special events. Also keep in mind that it is an EDACS system which means you have to put in all the channels in LCN order. The proper order is what is listed on the data base. Don't waste your scanner space by putting in FHP, their system is encrypted and cannot be monitored.
__________________
Shadcall
Pro 106 Pro 163 Pro 164
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-10-2014, 9:18 PM
whooey's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 777
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgnsucks View Post
Bike week is getting more spread out every year they will also bring in numerous other agencies as it spreads out now to Orlando. There will be FBI, DEA, ATF, FDLE along with a host of others all encrypted. For every uniform you see in Daytona beach there will be 6-8 UC's. If it were me I would Not go into Daytona proper (Boot Hill, Froggys etc) except early in the week in the morning. Buy T-shirts etc take some pictures then head off back to the mainland.

Stay out at the Cabbage Patch or near the Iron Horse and remember to just have a good time. But realize some LEO members might not be in the best of moods. There will be International clubs there, Bandidos, Mongols, Outlaws and Vagos to name a few.

You can have a great time I went there from the late 1970's until around 2000. Have a good time my information is geared more towards a visitor. Remember there are a Lot of inexperienced bike riders and Florida vehicle operators can be challenging as well.

just an fyi I'm down off my soap-box now.
Damn good advice. About 13 years ago when I was in college on spring break on the first Saturday of spring break, it was the last night of bike week. Craziest night of my entire life, it was awesome!!! But I really don't remember much....
__________________
Hey, is at least one scanner on right now???
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-13-2014, 8:06 AM
902's Avatar
902 902 is offline
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Downsouthsomewhere
Posts: 1,441
Default It's not your old spring break anymore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whooey View Post
Damn good advice. About 13 years ago when I was in college on spring break on the first Saturday of spring break, it was the last night of bike week. Craziest night of my entire life, it was awesome!!! But I really don't remember much....
Yeah, howdy. I hope you have fond memories and lots of pictures because things have changed significantly. Read: DAB is where your parents want you to go for spring break. Sure, some still go there, especially European tourists, but the locals effectively drove MTV and spring breakers out of the community, opting for more wholesome events, like Bike Week and Biketoberfest, which seem to be baby boomer cosplay/role play events with a few real bad people interspersed.

The biker events have reached a tipping point - there are probably as much EMS calls as there are LEO calls, maybe more. The EMS talkgroups will be loaded with traumatic injuries from aging visitors who are now struggling to maintain vertical polarization while letting the wind blow across their bald heads, flowing Santa Claus beards, and rich Corinthian leather chaps/thong set. Go to the database. "704" is the local trauma center and receives the majority of injury cases.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-19-2014, 7:55 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 274
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 902 View Post
Yeah, howdy. I hope you have fond memories and lots of pictures because things have changed significantly. Read: DAB is where your parents want you to go for spring break. Sure, some still go there, especially European tourists, but the locals effectively drove MTV and spring breakers out of the community, opting for more wholesome events, like Bike Week and Biketoberfest, which seem to be baby boomer cosplay/role play events with a few real bad people interspersed.

The biker events have reached a tipping point - there are probably as much EMS calls as there are LEO calls, maybe more. The EMS talkgroups will be loaded with traumatic injuries from aging visitors who are now struggling to maintain vertical polarization while letting the wind blow across their bald heads, flowing Santa Claus beards, and rich Corinthian leather chaps/thong set. Go to the database. "704" is the local trauma center and receives the majority of injury cases.
That assessment is bang on.... the days of wild things happening are replaced by yuppies getting dressed up to look like bad guys and standing around with there wives until about 10pm then go back to there hotel and high end suv and trailer and call it a nite, just the evolution of our world I guess,
__________________
Gary

BCD996T
HP-1
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-20-2014, 1:12 PM
TEH TEH is offline
Member
   
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 113
Default Bike Week scanning

Hello from Central Florida,

Glad you are coming to visit. But you need to know that Florida law prohibits most people from having scanners in vehicles, and even prohibits transporting them in some cases.

The most important consideration is to understand and follow the Florida law limiting the use of equipment that can monitor law enforcement frequencies. I know of cases in which a scanner hobbyist was arrested, and/or his radio equipment was confiscated because of this law.

The statute is here:
Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

It's Florida Statute 843.16, Which is part ot Title XLVI CRIMES
in Chapter 843 OBSTRUCTING JUSTICE

If you bring your scanner, make sure you are careful and discreet in using it. You want to spend your money on your visit and having fun, and not on bail bonds, attorneys, and court costs.

The statute does have exemptions, so carefully read the statute to see if you meet the requirements of the exemptions.

Have a safe and enjoyable visit to Florida.
__________________
love98
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-07-2014, 7:10 AM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
   
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ormond Beach FL
Posts: 119
Default

I just found this that you might be interested in. Here is a website that will be streaming Daytona Beach Police scanner traffic during Bike Week. It should prove to be interesting during the event

Military Live Streaming Sources of Military Communications

The Police stream is the top on on his streaming list. Been listening to it and the audio is pretty good.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2014, 4:41 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Farmington, Connecticut
Posts: 66
Default

Thanks to all. I am in Daytona Beach and will be here all week. As I am an Amateur Radio License holder I meet that exemption for use of a scanner. Both my motorcycle and truck have my radio license call letters. Connecticut allows using the same tags on both. The tags (plates) have a lightning bolt used as a separating character instead of a dot. Never the less, I will be careful not to draw attention if using it in public.
__________________
Bill
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2014, 6:54 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Farmington, Connecticut
Posts: 66
Default

Update: While attempting to load frequencies for Bike Week, I included 154.86 MHz as a TRS simulcast for Daytona Beach FD. But it was quiet when I thought I heard a fire call on a second scanner so I dropped the PL. The next thing I hear is what identified itself as an air asset... Air 1, a helicopter. So I wonder if the database needs updating. The TRS Simulcast reads 11-041 as its talkgroup but I don't see that talkgroup on the County System. Any thoughts?
__________________
Bill
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 03-10-2014, 7:29 AM
mk262's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Daytona Beach
Posts: 302
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1chu View Post
Update: While attempting to load frequencies for Bike Week, I included 154.86 MHz as a TRS simulcast for Daytona Beach FD. But it was quiet when I thought I heard a fire call on a second scanner so I dropped the PL. The next thing I hear is what identified itself as an air asset... Air 1, a helicopter. So I wonder if the database needs updating. The TRS Simulcast reads 11-041 as its talkgroup but I don't see that talkgroup on the County System. Any thoughts?
154.86 is not and as far as I know never has been a simulcast for Central Fire. Air One uses it though.

Air One is also 1-154
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 03-10-2014, 9:25 AM
902's Avatar
902 902 is offline
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Downsouthsomewhere
Posts: 1,441
Default

All operations are on the EDACS systems. Don't bother loading VHF. Paramedic reports to hospitals 704 (02-023) and 703 (02-022) are busy.

The most traffic I've heard is trauma/medical related. Judging by this weekend, this seems to be a very light event so far. Not sure how next weekend will go.

Side note, I don't think I've ever seen so many Santa Claus beards and cellulite in one place at the same time...

[Don't become one of this week's many "trauma alerts." Wear your brain bucket.]
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 03-10-2014, 9:31 AM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
   
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ormond Beach FL
Posts: 119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1chu View Post
Update: While attempting to load frequencies for Bike Week, I included 154.86 MHz as a TRS simulcast for Daytona Beach FD. But it was quiet when I thought I heard a fire call on a second scanner so I dropped the PL. The next thing I hear is what identified itself as an air asset... Air 1, a helicopter. So I wonder if the database needs updating. The TRS Simulcast reads 11-041 as its talkgroup but I don't see that talkgroup on the County System. Any thoughts?
You can forget the 11-04X talkgroups, they haven't been used in years. And yes for the Daytona Beach area the database needs a good updating. I've been saying that for sometime but usually get blasted for saying such.

Daytona Beach FD is now dispatched on the Country Talk Groups. The bad thing about that is that you have to listen to 100's of FD / Medic calls from all over the county which is pain if you only want Daytona Beach.

There is a good stream for Daytona Beach Police here Military Live Streaming Sources of Military Communications but he'll only be keeping it active during Bike Week. I am trying to talk him into leaving it up after Bike Week, but his only interest in scanning is military air stuff so I don't know if I can convince him into leaving it active. There aren't any other Daytona Beach Police streams on the internet, not on RR, not anywhere so I hope he'll keep it up.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 03-10-2014, 12:42 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Farmington, Connecticut
Posts: 66
Default Daytona Beach only fire responses

Understood. I did listen to the streaming audio last night but heard very little. I could have dropped the connection but I am guessing the fellow has just the talkgroups pertaining to Daytona Beach turned on... I will try and listen to the streaming audio again and compare it to what I get on the scanner. It should be a simple matter of eliminating all that does not come over the streaming audio should do it. (getting a list of what he has streaming would be very helpful but I suppose I could try the above method, understanding that the streaming audio may not catch each and every call, so listening over a period of time should do it.
__________________
Bill
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 03-10-2014, 12:49 PM
mk262's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Daytona Beach
Posts: 302
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1chu View Post
Understood. I did listen to the streaming audio last night but heard very little. I could have dropped the connection but I am guessing the fellow has just the talkgroups pertaining to Daytona Beach turned on... I will try and listen to the streaming audio again and compare it to what I get on the scanner. It should be a simple matter of eliminating all that does not come over the streaming audio should do it. (getting a list of what he has streaming would be very helpful but I suppose I could try the above method, understanding that the streaming audio may not catch each and every call, so listening over a period of time should do it.
I think he has C1 and C2.

I'd recommend 11-062 11-063 11-076 11-074 for the beachside Main street area stuff, which will be 'ground zero'.

It's been relatively quiet so far.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 03-10-2014, 2:52 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
   
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ormond Beach FL
Posts: 119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1chu View Post
Understood. I did listen to the streaming audio last night but heard very little. I could have dropped the connection but I am guessing the fellow has just the talkgroups pertaining to Daytona Beach turned on... I will try and listen to the streaming audio again and compare it to what I get on the scanner. It should be a simple matter of eliminating all that does not come over the streaming audio should do it. (getting a list of what he has streaming would be very helpful but I suppose I could try the above method, understanding that the streaming audio may not catch each and every call, so listening over a period of time should do it.
Yes I believe he only has Daytona Beach PD groups scanning. I was listening on my own scanner last night and there wasn't that much activity. By listening to the scanner and driving around town Bike Week is really dead this year. I was shocked, not as many vendors or bikes. I think Bike Week is dieing, Past few years have been less and less but this year appears to be the largest one year drop I have ever seen.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 03-10-2014, 2:56 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
   
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ormond Beach FL
Posts: 119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk262 View Post
I think he has C1 and C2.

I'd recommend 11-062 11-063 11-076 11-074 for the beachside Main street area stuff, which will be 'ground zero'.

It's been relatively quiet so far.
What is C1 and C2?

When I was listening to his feed and with my scanner I know he has at least these streaming
11-061 11-062 11-063 11-076 11-115 (vice) 11-155 VCSO patch and I heard air 1 which I think is patched on 11-154? I think he had a few more but just can not remember which they were.

You are correct, this bike week has been very quiet so far.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 03-10-2014, 9:26 PM
mk262's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Daytona Beach
Posts: 302
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsofradios View Post
What is C1 and C2?

When I was listening to his feed and with my scanner I know he has at least these streaming
11-061 11-062 11-063 11-076 11-115 (vice) 11-155 VCSO patch and I heard air 1 which I think is patched on 11-154? I think he had a few more but just can not remember which they were.

You are correct, this bike week has been very quiet so far.
c1 = channel 1 = daytona west
c2 = channel 2 = daytona east

Channel 3 is going to be the magic one for this even though.

There's just less people down there than usual.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 03-13-2014, 8:53 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Farmington, Connecticut
Posts: 66
Default

Again, thanks to all. But one more question... I see someone posted the talkgroups that start with 11 (11-0XX) and are all dedicated to Daytona Beach are not used anymore but two other posts after that list these groups as the ones that are being streamed live. I have heard nothing on the 11-0XX talkgroups so I assume it's the Volusia County Sheriff's dispatch doing all the fire talk on the 2-0XX series. Anyone verify this?
__________________
Bill
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 2:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2011 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions