FL SLERS - EDACS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rbp1414

Premium Subscriber
Can the FL SLERS EDACS system (as opposed to the P25 system) be monitored? I manually loaded it into my HP, but do not hear anything - probably didn't do it correctly. I am in Pinellas county. Looks like it is Provoice and Analog - curious if the analog portion can be monitored. Thanks.

Once Again, the FLORIDA SLERS System, is 100% Provoice from the Control Channels to the Voice Channels, in addition to 100% Full Time Encryption on every single Talkgroup. Don't even bother wasting your radios resources or time programming it. The only thing that will be different with the P25 system is the C/C will be P25, but still 100% encrypted.

ki4wbn

Once Again, the FLORIDA SLERS System, is 100% Provoice from the Control Channels to the Voice Channels, in addition to 100% Full Time Encryption on every single Talkgroup. Don't even bother wasting your radios resources or time programming it. The only thing that will be different with the P25 system is the C/C will be P25, but still 100% encrypted.

Not really true. Not every talkgroup is ProVoice Digital. Most are, but there are analog talkgroups on the system. It's also not 100% encryption. Only the law enforcement talkgroups are encrypted, and select other talkgroups.

With that said, you cannot monitor it from a scanner because of the way the site controllers at each of the EDACS sites, SitePro, encodes the control channel information.
I do agree, it's not worth the bother trying to put it into a scanner or listen to it, but just wanted to set some of the information straight as to why. ;)

jharr465

Premium Subscriber
I have been able monitor the Okaloosa EMS and Fire talk groups which use SLERS using a program called DSD or DSDPlus. The talkgroups for them are not encrypted so I can hear them clearly. The DSD software will decode the ProVoice and I can hear FHP, but the transmissions are encrypted and sound like garbled output. There may be other agencies in other areas of Florida that can be monitored using DSD, I can only speak for Okaloosa county.

Not really true. Not every talkgroup is ProVoice Digital. Most are, but there are analog talkgroups on the system. It's also not 100% encryption. Only the law enforcement talkgroups are encrypted, and select other talkgroups.

With that said, you cannot monitor it from a scanner because of the way the site controllers at each of the EDACS sites, SitePro, encodes the control channel information.
I do agree, it's not worth the bother trying to put it into a scanner or listen to it, but just wanted to set some of the information straight as to why. ;)

I thought the C/Cs were encrypted (of sorts) but wasn't 100% sure... Whats intriguing is that some data can (and some can't) be decoded in Unitrunker regardless of the encryption aspect, very odd.

gcr33

Has anyone tried to monitor the fire departments in Hendry Co. and Okeechobee Co? They are on SLERS. I would guess that the law enforcement is encrypted. Hendry SO/Okeechobee SO and City.

The state P25 new system is encrypted.

ki4wbn

I have been able monitor the Okaloosa EMS and Fire talk groups which use SLERS using a program called DSD or DSDPlus. The talkgroups for them are not encrypted so I can hear them clearly. The DSD software will decode the ProVoice and I can hear FHP, but the transmissions are encrypted and sound like garbled output. There may be other agencies in other areas of Florida that can be monitored using DSD, I can only speak for Okaloosa county.

Yes, the fire talkgroups and EMS for Okaloosa are ProVoice, and can be monitored using DSD.
There are several TAC channels as well.
I think 2 of the fire TAC's are ProVoice, and 2 are analog off the top of my head, but can't remember for sure. There are various other talkgroups too that aren't used too often, like Hazmat, and PS Common.

Most of the state agencies, like FHP, are ProVoice and encrypted, since the majority of them are law enforcement. All law enforcement on SLERS is encrypted. It is one of the protocols set forth by the state.

I thought the C/Cs were encrypted (of sorts) but wasn't 100% sure... Whats intriguing is that some data can (and some can't) be decoded in Unitrunker regardless of the encryption aspect, very odd.

I haven't messed with DSD in SLERS, but it could be from the SitePro encoding. Not sure. Is intriguing though.

james32746

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone tried to monitor the fire departments in Hendry Co. and Okeechobee Co? They are on SLERS. I would guess that the law enforcement is encrypted. Hendry SO/Okeechobee SO and City.

The state P25 new system is encrypted.

Radio techs on the new system are in the clear from when I monitored it last.

flecom

no it's EDACS with extended addressing so the control channel is slightly different from a regular EDACS control channel

SCPD

QRT
As far as what happens on the voice channels - I can't help you. However, if there's something on the control channel that you think Unitrunker isn't handling properly - I'd like to know about it.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
I never thought to ask this question or explore this option until now: Knowing that there are some non-encrypted channels in the system, and some sites have very few channels per site (reportedly as few as one on a few sites), would it be possible to hear non-encrypted (Provoice) traffic if I were to monitor the local tower's frequencies in conventional (provoice) mode?

I never thought to ask this question or explore this option until now: Knowing that there are some non-encrypted channels in the system, and some sites have very few channels per site (reportedly as few as one on a few sites), would it be possible to hear non-encrypted (Provoice) traffic if I were to monitor the local tower's frequencies in conventional (provoice) mode?

In essence that would be able to be done, however no scanner can decode Provoice.

As far as what happens on the voice channels - I can't help you. However, if there's something on the control channel that you think Unitrunker isn't handling properly - I'd like to know about it.

From what I have seen on Unitrunker, I can't tell if it is a software malfunction or if what shows up is the info the CC is actually broadcasting and the software can't decode it properly do to whatever enc, ect. they have enabled.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
In essence that would be able to be done, however no scanner can decode Provoice.

I don't OWN a scanner. But I have plenty of ProVoice-enabled radios. P7100s, M5300s, P7300s, all with ProVoice. So once I find the local site frequencies I'll set up to monitor and see what happens. It's quite possible that it might be days, weeks, or months before hearing a non-encrypted ProVoice transmission.

gcr33

I don't OWN a scanner. But I have plenty of ProVoice-enabled radios. P7100s, M5300s, P7300s, all with ProVoice. So once I find the local site frequencies I'll set up to monitor and see what happens. It's quite possible that it might be days, weeks, or months before hearing a non-encrypted ProVoice transmission.

I would be interested in the status of the Hendry Co. Fire just for an FYI.

Glades Co, is also sucked into the SLERS lifestyle. I wonder about their fire?

Has the P25 started to show up on the West coast? There was very little activity when I have been there.

I got ya now, remember to enable ESK on your radio also. Are you able to set it to not affiliate, or how will you accomplish that task?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
He's going to monitor the trunked channels as conventional. No worry about affiliating or ESK on the control channel.

Don't you need a special key to enable ESK?

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
I tried this last night using the Hillsborough and Pinellas area sites. No non-encrypted Provoice traffic came through. Just the sound of the data packets.

Status
Not open for further replies.