Battle Builds Over Florida’s $18 Million Annual Contract for Police Radio Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
A high-dollar battle is under way for a contract that produces $18 million a year for the company operating Florida’s law enforcement radio system, as Gov. Rick Scott and lawmakers are proposing opening up competition for the service.

Battle Builds Over Florida

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
The state should just get it over with and accept the bid from Harris. I don't think switching vendors is an option in this case... unfortunately.

mk262

Premium Subscriber
I've seen park rangers using Astro radios, thought Motorola was the system, weird.

They might be federal park rangers or operating in conventional. To my semi-limited knowledge I don't think there are any moto radios on SLERS--not by anyone you'd see in public anyway.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
They might be federal park rangers or operating in conventional. To my semi-limited knowledge I don't think there are any moto radios on SLERS--not by anyone you'd see in public anyway.

As far as I know there are no Motorola radios that can operate on EDACS. Same for Harris offered radios working on analog Motorola trunking systems. However with P25 trunking, a mix of portables and mobiles of different vendors is possible.

This would be great for the agencies in the state with Motorola P25 trunking systems having direct access to SLERS P25 (if ends up being a Harris system). The other way around would be true as well.

Disp46

Premium Subscriber
As far as I know there are no Motorola radios that can operate on EDACS. Same for Harris offered radios working on analog Motorola trunking systems. However with P25 trunking, a mix of portables and mobiles of different vendors is possible.

This would be great for the agencies in the state with Motorola P25 trunking systems having direct access to SLERS P25 (if ends up being a Harris system). The other way around would be true as well.

The reality of various manufacturers subscriber equipment operating on any P25 system, at least seamlessly, is misleading. For instance the modulation schemes (Motorola's CQPSK vs. Harris' WCQPSK) do not perform ideally on the others' simulcast systems. Also, I would encourage anyone kicking the tires on introducing subscribers by manufacturers other than those of the infrastructure manufacturer, thoroughly evaluate their performance on that system. For instance try out a Harris subscriber on a Motorola Astro 25 system in a fail soft condition. One may be surprised of the results which is contrary to "any radio on any P25 system". Not without some degradation of functionality at least.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
The reality of various manufacturers subscriber equipment operating on any P25 system, at least seamlessly, is misleading. For instance the modulation schemes (Motorola's CQPSK vs. Harris' WCQPSK) do not perform ideally on the others' simulcast systems. Also, I would encourage anyone kicking the tires on introducing subscribers by manufacturers other than those of the infrastructure manufacturer, thoroughly evaluate their performance on that system. For instance try out a Harris subscriber on a Motorola Astro 25 system in a fail soft condition. One may be surprised of the results which is contrary to "any radio on any P25 system". Not without some degradation of functionality at least.

GO KENWOOD and save the money.... NX-5000's does Analog, NXDN, and P25 Phase one and two.

OH BY THE WAY, for several thousands less than the batwing or the Harris.

Yes, and I love my NX-5000 radios, they work great!

bravo14

Premium Subscriber

I hear the local State Park loud & clear and where I use to live at for along time they are loud & clear also. I don't think they are on the SLERS either. Last time I check for the School Deaf & Blind (St Augustine) they were on SLERS heard it wasn't all that great so they went back to VHF for awhile than switched to a 800 CONV so far I know they are still on it.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
GO KENWOOD and save the money.... NX-5000's does Analog, NXDN, and P25 Phase one and two.

OH BY THE WAY, for several thousands less than the batwing or the Harris.

Yes, and I love my NX-5000 radios, they work great!

How does this affect the bidding process for maintenance of the statewide radio system ?

Status
Not open for further replies.