Gainesville/Alachua County encrypted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeputySchrute

Can anyone tell me if particularly the GPD and ASO frequencies are encrypted? Also, I'm new to all of this, if you listen to these agencies can you tell me what kind of scanner you are using? I've tried going through the forums but some of the stuff is old and confusing and honestly I just want to scan GPD/ASO to practice before I go to the academy.

DeputySchrute

What's a scanner that I could buy that is capable of picking up both clearly without breaking the bank?

DeputySchrute

Would the BCD396XT work? I found one on Amazon used for 212. Of course I'm sure actually programming it will be a hell of a time

wise871

Database Admin
Would the BCD396XT work? I found one on Amazon used for 212. Of course I'm sure actually programming it will be a hell of a time

Yes, that would work fine for now. Just hope they don't switch over to Project 25 Phase II. You should see if you have any Radio Shacks in your area that are still open. Many of them are closing down and have great prices on scanners if you can find one.

DeputySchrute

Actually with more reading I just found a RS Pro-668 that's capable of Phase II for 250. Guess it's worth the extra $40 just in case.

SRSP2282

Premium Subscriber
I use a PSR-500 to monitor ACSO, GPD, ect. Works Great. If you live nearby I can help you get up and running. (Even if you decide on another model)

I remember when I first started learning about trunked systems like the one Alachua County uses. It was daunting at first, for sure. I promise though, once you get the hang of it everything will click. Dont let the information overload lead you to give up. The forums are a great source of information. I had a lot of help when I first got started from members of this community. There are many threads (and pages in the wiki) that cover a lot of the basics.

On a side note:
I didn't realize how cheap the "iScan" radios are going for... might have to look into picking one up :)

kc8dhx

Premium Subscriber
I am using a GRE PSR-800. It works quite well. I have it running here on my desk with unitrunker and can see all the messaging and patches clear as day. Let us know if you need any help.

DeputySchrute

Well my scanner came today, original packaging, looked great, but of course the down and up arrows along with the select button don't work :/

I'll be sending it back and trying again.

Status
Not open for further replies.