Hillsborough County P25 On The Horizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanesFan95

Lately I've been noticing what sounds like digital audio being re-transmitted as analog on an EDACS system talk group. It's usually a dispatcher when it happens. Only once in a great while though. Are they finally making the rest of the switchover anytime soon? When? Will they be in the clear or encrypted?

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
The dispatch voice quality thing has been going on for several months. I would assume it is because some dispatching positions are operating off the newer consoles that are optimized for digital voice.

HCSO has also been having call takers and supervisors take control from the radio dispatcher to provide updates. They often use the desk mic to talk to the units while talking to the caller on the headset, hence the voice quality sounds different than the radio dispatcher's headset.

However, I have noticed for limited periods, some talkgroups coming over both systems. Usually with the same DEC talkgoup ID on both systems. For instance last week there was a call working on TFR 6-South could be heard over EDACS and P25. HCSO talkgroups have also been heard over both systems with the same ID.

As far as encryption, it's anyone's guess. Considering that Provoice was used as a monitoring deterrent on some talkgroups... I'm betting those agencies will probably use encryption on said talkgroups once migrated to P25. I would be very surprised if any dispatch groups were encrypted.

We shall see.

CanesFan95

There are a few active talk groups on the new P25, like Temple Terrace. But even if you have a full signal strength, it's all broken up and robotic sounding. It basically sounds like crap. Its not encrypted though. But I don't understand what the deal is with digital. How come even when all the signal strength bars are lit up, the audio doesn't get decoded and it sounds all garbled up?

jcardani

Premium Subscriber
Hi Homeboys,

That answer is simple. It's because you are listening to the P25 system with a scanner that cannot properly decode the CQPSK LSM signal. All consumer scanners use the FM discriminator as input to their DSP instead of and I/Q demodulator. The scanner's FM demodulator strips out the signal's AM component which is required for LSM while the I/Q demodulator keeps the signal intact. So unless you are right up near a site the audio will be garbled when listening with a scanner.

CanesFan95

So then why don't the scanner companies make their scanners the right way?

jcardani

Premium Subscriber
I've been asking that same question for years. I think they just think we are stupid. I even emailed Whistler
several times with no reply from them. Until enough people complain directly to the manufacturers and refuse to buy the product, things probably won't change.

Read the many posts by Max Parke KA1RBI on this topic. It's a wealth of knowledge on the subject.

I don't want this to become an "LSM" thread so we should now go to the "Tavern" and discuss it there where it's appropriate.

Theo

Premium Subscriber
There are a few active talk groups on the new P25, like Temple Terrace. But even if you have a full signal strength, it's all broken up and robotic sounding. It basically sounds like crap. Its not encrypted though. But I don't understand what the deal is with digital. How come even when all the signal strength bars are lit up, the audio doesn't get decoded and it sounds all garbled up?
I'm in the West Chase area and have a BCD536HP with a Radio Shack 800 meg antenna and listen to P25 with no problems ! Its loud and clear not garbled at all.

Theo

Premium Subscriber
West Chase is in the west so I listen to the West. I assume its based on where you live.
Listen to both systems see which one comes in stronger and avoid the other. If that doesn't work use a better 700-800meg antenna or use an outside antenna.

CanesFan95

But CAN you get the east P25 system as well? On the EDACS system, there are talk groups that can be active on one site but not the other.

Theo

Premium Subscriber
But CAN you get the east P25 system as well? On the EDACS system, there are talk groups that can be active on one site but not the other.
Ok, here's the scoop: On the EDACS system, there's analog and Provoice (digital). The East and West Sites have identical talkgroups. The P25 Phase 2 system has East and West sites also the talk groups are identical !!! Go to RR and check it out.

CanesFan95

Yes they have identical talk group IDs, but a given talk group ID will sometimes only be keyed up on one system but not the other on EDACS. I've been watching both west and east EDACS on Unitrunker, and Tampa PD talk groups are usually only active on the West system only.

I'm only wondering if you're able to get an RF signal at all on the P25 east system from your location.

Theo

Premium Subscriber
Yes they have identical talk group IDs, but a given talk group ID will sometimes only be keyed up on one system but not the other on EDACS. I've been watching both west and east EDACS on Unitrunker, and Tampa PD talk groups are usually only active on the West system only.

I'm only wondering if you're able to get an RF signal at all on the P25 east system from your location.
The EDACS system has Provoice (Digital) do you have Provoice installed in your scanner? Some PD channels use it. Yes, I can get the East Site P25 Phase 2 from my location but its much weaker so I use the West.

CanesFan95

I use DSD+ to decode ProVoice. But I don't have a ProVoice capable scanner.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber

You're right. The majority of public safety talkgroups on EDACS only operate on particular sites. That is restricted by programming. Only a handful of public safety talkgroups are available on both sites.

As far as P25, currently I can only receive what I assume is the West site. I'm near TIA. Several months ago I could receive both.

CanesFan95

Bumping an old thread here.

Is this system Phase I or Phase II?

I'm hearing Phase I talkgroups active right now on West. And how come the East site is down? There's no active control channel right now on the East System.

Status
Not open for further replies.