RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Florida Radio Discussion Forum

Florida Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Florida.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 9:57 PM

Yes. See post #1 of this thread.
Sponsored links
Old 03-06-2010, 5:08 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrokker View Post
I am under the impression that as long as the scanner is NOT affixed to the vehicle and does NOT have an outside antenna and is NOT plugged into the vehicles electric system ,It is legal in Florida. That is the Attorney General's interpretation. Am I wrong?
The law changed a few years ago to incude the word "transport" and being installed to the vehicle has no bearing any more.

(1) A person, firm, or corporation may not install or transport in any motor
vehicle or business establishment, except an emergency vehicle or crime watch
vehicle as herein defined or a place established by municipal, county, state,
or federal authority for governmental purposes, any frequency modulation radio
receiving equipment so adjusted or tuned as to receive messages or signals on
frequencies assigned by the Federal Communications Commission to police or law
enforcement officers or fire rescue personnel of any city or county of the state
or to the state or any of its agencies.

Last edited by KS4VT; 03-06-2010 at 5:10 AM..
Old 03-06-2010, 1:33 PM

What I want to know under Florida law as stated in TRANSPORTING,How does one not break the law when he buys one and is going home??How is the Mailman or UPS driver not breaking the law ,here in Florida ,when he delivers an ordered scanner ??The law does not stipulate if the scanner is on or off,it just says transporting. Please answer.....
Old 03-06-2010, 2:13 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
What I want to know under Florida law as stated in TRANSPORTING,How does one not break the law when he buys one and is going home??How is the Mailman or UPS driver not breaking the law ,here in Florida ,when he delivers an ordered scanner ??The law does not stipulate if the scanner is on or off,it just says transporting. Please answer.....
The mailman or UPS issue is moot as the carrier has no idea what is inside the box, nor would a LE officer. As to you transporting it, any reasonable officer would be able to tell that the device is in its original packaging and therefore not operational, especially where it say's this:

any frequency modulation radio
receiving equipment so adjusted or tuned as to receive messages or signals

Best thing to do is to spend $18 and got your amateur radio technician license if you are worried about it that much.
Old 03-06-2010, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS4VT View Post
The mailman or UPS issue is moot as the carrier has no idea what is inside the box, nor would a LE officer. As to you transporting it, any reasonable officer would be able to tell that the device is in its original packaging and therefore not operational, especially where it say's this:

Best thing to do is to spend $18 and got your amateur radio technician license if you are worried about it that much.
I read the law and I have to wonder the same as rdrokker.I do not see how someone that is transporting it has to know what's in the box.Now if I did not read that please point that out so I can go reread it.I do not believe being reasonable or not pertains to the law unless again I missed that in the law.Now as for operational I would assume you mean no power like removing batteries or similiar as some scanners are preprogrammed and therefore able to receive messages or signals.I could see your point if you manualy enter in the frequency.
Sponsored links
Old 03-11-2010, 4:36 PM

Default Self amending the law

Quote:

The law states as in above post ,that no person or corporation shall TRANSPORT legally an scanner in Florida in an vehicle.One should not incorporate his own interpretation to suit his needs.The law ,word for word,is how it is interpretated.Now, having said that,there seems to be no law against wearing the scanner on oneself outside an vehicle.I post this because it may help people stay out of trouble and for no other reason.
Old 03-11-2010, 6:18 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
The law states as in above post ,that no person or corporation shall TRANSPORT legally an scanner in Florida in an vehicle.One should not incorporate his own interpretation to suit his needs.The law ,word for word,is how it is interpretated.Now, having said that,there seems to be no law against wearing the scanner on oneself outside an vehicle.I post this because it may help people stay out of trouble and for no other reason.
Federal law makes it a felony for anyone, other than the receipient, to open someone else's mail without a search warrant, so with that being said, if the scanner is in the box and unmarked there is no way to tell what is in the box. It would take a court order for a LE officer to open the box unless he thinks that it is an explosive device.

In addition, a few months ago I had 550 BCT15X scanners delivered to my office by freight for our rebanding project. Were they delivered to my agency, which happens to be a gov't agency, illegally? I say no as they were totally encased, wrapped in plastic wrap, unprogrammed, unpowered, and therefore totally unusable.

You guys are reading into it way too much.

Last edited by KS4VT; 03-11-2010 at 6:21 PM..
Old 03-16-2010, 11:17 AM

Default New to Forum

Hi All--

I just purchased a new Uniden BC95XLT to replace my 120XLT that bit the dust. I am looking for frequencies for the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office. Can anyone help?

Dave
Old 03-16-2010, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagcomm1 View Post
Hi All--

I just purchased a new Uniden BC95XLT to replace my 120XLT that bit the dust. I am looking for frequencies for the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office. Can anyone help?

Dave
Hillsborough S/O is on an EDACS trunking system. All of their frequency/talkgroup information can be found in the database for hillsborough county: Hillsborough County Trunking System, Hillsborough County, Florida - Scanner Frequencies

Sponsored links
Old 04-04-2010, 5:50 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninJoliet View Post
Greetings to the fine scanner listeners in northern Florida, i will be visiting "Jacksonville" in May, i will be using a GRE500 and see in V-Folder2 in SList 8=Jacksonville FL trunk analog and digital trunk system...Is this "all ENC or can i copy some traffic, i have printed out the Jacksonville trunk system on rr.com, are the freqy's still the same and have they rebanded as i would need the rebanding steps entered....Thank You and great scanning from ILL.....
The Fire/Rescue radio transmissions are receivable. The Police department is encrypted.
Acts 16:31
Old 04-06-2010, 9:50 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Smile

The State Attorney would never file charges against a carrier for simply transporting the equipment which is not illegal to have at it's end. They do not charge the carrier for transporting illegal drugs as they are also not knowlegdeable about what they are carrying.

Common sense prevails once in awhile.

Quote:
Federal law makes it a felony for anyone, other than the receipient, to open someone else's mail without a search warrant, so with that being said, if the scanner is in the box and unmarked there is no way to tell what is in the box. It would take a court order for a LE officer to open the box unless he thinks that it is an explosive device.

In addition, a few months ago I had 550 BCT15X scanners delivered to my office by freight for our rebanding project. Were they delivered to my agency, which happens to be a gov't agency, illegally? I say no as they were totally encased, wrapped in plastic wrap, unprogrammed, unpowered, and therefore totally unusable.

You guys are reading into it way too much.
Old 04-12-2010, 5:24 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Marco Island

Headign to Marco Tuesday. Is there any interesting things I should monitor? It is south Collier County, correct?
Thanks you!
Jack
Old 05-20-2010, 9:27 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

add a faq about where to get licenses or tech certificates and classes that are available in Florida for radio stuff, links to resources would be helpful too. and what schools offer what something along those lines.
Old 06-13-2010, 4:26 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

One silly little note about the scanner law, until they update it you might could get off if you got busted for listening to a digital system. Since the law Specifically states "any Frequency Modulation receiving equipment" if it was listing to a digital site, that's not FM.

Also for those hung up on the delivery stuff, the law says "Adjusted to receive" the delivery guy isn't going to have it adjusted to receive.
Old 11-16-2010, 1:54 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Hi! It says for new folks to check in here. I think I'm still on my 3-post-probation period so we'll see when this pops up. I am a complete newbie and have read numerous posts regarding other people's issues but still can't seem to figure out what exactly I should be doing. I have a Pro-164 scanner and I'm trying to get HCSO. When I entered the EDACS numbers in the trunking program, it didn't appear that they would scan, so instead I just entered the east and west system frequencies into different banks. With that, at least I am receiving. Will that suffice? It does seem that I am still missing out on all parts of the conversation.
Sponsored links
Old 11-16-2010, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellzabeth View Post
When I entered the EDACS numbers in the trunking program, it didn't appear that they would scan, so instead I just entered the east and west system frequencies into different banks. With that, at least I am receiving. Will that suffice? It does seem that I am still missing out on all parts of the conversation.
You did the right thing by separating east and west into two banks. Also, make sure you start the frequencies on channel 1, not 0. For example, if you had the east site in bank 2, you would start with LCN 1 freq in the channel 201 slot. Also, as you've probably figured out, the freqs must be in the same order as they are in the database. LCN 1 in channel 1 slot, all the way up to LCN 15 in channel 15 slot. Don't forget to set the bank to EDACS, and don't lock out the control channel (the one that sounds like a boat motor).

Here's a really useful manual for your radio: Easier to Read Pro-97/2055 Scanner Manual
It say's PRO-97, but will work for your PRO-164, since it is a newer version of the PRO-97. The RS manuals are junk.
Old 11-16-2010, 9:57 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thanks Bolt...I have seen you give lots of good info to lots of folks on here! Appreciate you taking a moment for me too.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:37 PM

You're welcome!
Old 12-22-2010, 11:13 AM

Newbie here Just bought a RS Pro-106 and have finally gotten the transfer cable and WIN500 to work now I am looking for the WIN500 file for South Florida. I have searched the forums and can't seem to find one. I know the scanner works as I have manually imputed some frequencies and they come in but looking at the list for Miami-Dade it looks like a lot of cut/pasting. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Link or just an encouraging word Thanks.
Old 12-22-2010, 6:51 PM
Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012

Default Welcome to RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralbury23 View Post
Newbie here Just bought a RS Pro-106 and have finally gotten the transfer cable and WIN500 to work now I am looking for the WIN500 file for South Florida. I have searched the forums and can't seem to find one. I know the scanner works as I have manually imputed some frequencies and they come in but looking at the list for Miami-Dade it looks like a lot of cut/pasting. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Link or just an encouraging word Thanks.
With premium subscription you can import data into Win500 to load to the 106 ready for scanning
WIN500 - UtahRadio
Use this outstanding guide for help in the process.

Tags