RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Site Administration Forums > Forums Administration

Forums Administration For administrative questions about the forums or problems with its use. Before you ask, did you read here first?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-21-2011, 10:13 PM

Default posts marked read without reading

I have noticed that if I come to the forum and read a few posts then come back a few hours later to read some more. That all the posts are now marked as read without me reading them. Is there a setting somewhere that I can adjust? I don't want any posts to be marked as read until I read them.
Sponsored links

Old 12-21-2011, 10:42 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

That's the default operation of the board. When the board sees you idle longer than a certain time it sets you as left the site and marks everything read.

There's nothing you or we can do that won't affect everyone else.
Please follow the forum rules and contact a moderator directly, not via a thread.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneH View Post
That's the default operation of the board. When the board sees you idle longer than a certain time it sets you as left the site and marks everything read.

There's nothing you or we can do that won't affect everyone else.
I don't understand why it would be setup this way. It should not mark threads as read until I read them. This is the first forum I have ever visited that is setup like this. There is no way to change this??

edited to add: It also appears to not mark messages as read when I have read them.

Last edited by thomast77; 12-21-2011 at 10:51 PM..
Old 12-21-2011, 11:03 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast77 View Post
I don't understand why it would be setup this way. It should not mark threads as read until I read them. This is the first forum I have ever visited that is setup like this. There is no way to change this??

edited to add: It also appears to not mark messages as read when I have read them.
It annoys me too, but it probably has something to do with database complexity. The server would have to save an additional couple of toggles for every user. It might be a scaling issue.

I know that when we changed how our data was stored on a server by adding one field, it quadrupled the storage because of the time stamping...
Old 12-21-2011, 11:30 PM
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by com501 View Post
It annoys me too, but it probably has something to do with database complexity. The server would have to save an additional couple of toggles for every user. It might be a scaling issue.
You're correct. Each member then requires the need to store a saved state. With the amount of members and forums you can understand why we do it this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast77
If it isn't then there's something going on on your end.

I'm rather sure that any other forum that saves the user's state is no where near as large as this one.
Please follow the forum rules and contact a moderator directly, not via a thread.
Sponsored links
Old 12-22-2011, 9:01 AM
Silent Key - Aug 2014
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneH View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast77 View Post
If it isn't then there's something going on on your end.
This probably is the way you navigate the board. Are you actually seeing the actual post as not being read or does the forum show unread posts when you have gone in and read them all? The latter is a known problem for vBulletin. Unless you actually step backward through the index (each level) the forums will show unread posts even though you have read them all.