Update: Reply/Edit/PM problems on the Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Folks,

We have some updates regarding the ongoing issues over the past 2 days related to replies and posts on the RadioReference.com Forums.

Most importantly, thank you for being patient as we worked through the issues that, quite frankly, really confused us! :) We thought we had this issue fixed, then we didn't, then we did, then we realized it was not fixed. And, while we now think we have a resolution... there is still more to test and follow up on. Our team is hard at work!

With that said, after our latest fixes we are unable to reproduce the error after a few hours of use, so we'll chalk it up to the below:

(subject to change, your mile may vary etc) :)

Technical:

We believe that the quick reply / reply / PM issues are related to a PCRE (Perl compatible regular expression) library upgrade that recently happened on our Web servers. This specific library upgrade appears to have bugs and memory leaks that contributed to significant problems on our Web servers. After downgrading this library, we believe the issue has been resolved as of 7:30 PM CST (00:30 GMT).

We also believe that the memory leaks in this newest library contributed to our 3 hour outage yesterday evening across the radioreference.com properties. We will address those issues in another post.

Simple Explanation:

Our Web servers automatically installed a new piece of supporting software that broke the forums. We reverted that installation to the previous version and we have fingers crossed that the problem is now resolved.

Thanks for all your patience!

Lindsay

Last edited:

Dude111

An Awesome Dude
Thank you Lindsay for getting stuff corrected,WE ALL LOVE YOUR SITE :)

Thank you for providing it!!

K9WG

And here I tossed out two of my PCs because I thought they were the problem..... ;)

Just goes to show how much work running a forum can be......

mjbjr

I love how he puts stuff in layman's terms,as i have no clue what the technical part meant lol

Status
Not open for further replies.