my apologies to this whole website

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hexmaster

Premium Subscriber
I have starved my brain for sleep for two or three weeks. Don't know how long I have owned this BCD996XT.

But I can tell I am aggravating people with my questions. I sat down just now and read my own posts. How embarrassing. A loop hole of questions, some are legit most are just like a little child not getting his/her candy.

I have to admit this darn radio has churned me nerves. But today I am back at it again. Here is my pledge to everyone at Radio Reference. Since there seems to be no other place to go if Radio Reference boots me or members get sick of me and block me. I won't be posting for one month so mark it on your calender.

Yes a whole month with no crap questions from me. But the "Need Help Bad" ALL of you got me on the tracks at least.

I was mislead that by sending my Uniden into Scanner Master and marking the counties, they would decry them for me. I had doubts about this anyways. I misunderstood the person at Scanner Master last night and called again today and found out it's only to program it. You guys already taught me that but I am stuck at truncking programing with free scan and don't want to flood more questions so I am staying conventional for a month then I'll ask again. Yes I am grounding myself.

As for my freaking out that everything is going digital. I NEED TO CHILL OUT. Scanner Master told me not all. I thought all of cook county was encrypted so I never tried, according to them I can pick up the sheriff and some other stuff but they cut it at that.

There is so much more this radio can tune to anyways. The police are getting boring sometimes and I am wondering if I am getting burned out on them.

I have all the schools tuned in they are more fun to listen to. If I had a dollar for every time a kid got busted for drugs, yesterday I would have 11 more dollars in my pocket.

Enough said. I will read on trunking but please no bullying. I have am very smart. have four computers in my room run Linux.OS X Windows (just making a point) but when I read (I read very well) I don't comprehend what I read and it gets frustrating for me. Video's are a god send for me.

O.K> I'll post again 10-25. I feel I have been a pain in the well you know to everyone here. No harm was ever meant. Can't afford to get kicked out, I need member ship for Free scan. If I had to go back to that dial this thing will eat the cement patio!!!!!

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Relax! ;)
We all had to start somewhere, and when we did we had questions too.
But unlike many of us here, you are lucky enough to be able to pick our brains with questions because of radioreference.
When many of us got started in this hobby the internet nor RR even existed yet.

Take your time and enjoy the hobby...it's also a past time!

n9zas

bep

Premium Subscriber
We have all been there, and sometimes forums cannot replace a face-to-face give and take of questions. But we all try to assist when we can. I too have posted a lot of questions, and always been received graciously. Sometime the post has an obvious answer to the readers, but not the author.
Were here for you.

mancow

Database Admin
Being a premium subscriber why don't you use the import feature and import some systems automatically from the databas here. Just look at what data is entered, where in the software it goes and how it's labeled. It might help to get an overall idea of the terminology being used. You will start to see that each system has frequencies and talkgroups. Unless the system is physically changed by the people that operate it the frequencies can generally be set and left alone. The only thing you will have left to worry about are the talk groups.

If you download Teamviewer you can provide someone a temporary pass code and they can operate your PC for you and literally show you how it's done as if they were sitting there.

SShuster221

Feed and Calls Provider
Feed Provider
Your fine everyone on this site is here to offer support. Scanners are nothing like they used to be, we all understand that and are willing to help. As the other posters have offered take some time and look around on the forums for things that may have been asked already. Also as Mancow suggested maybe load a simple system on your scanner and familiar yourself with it. Always remember the only question that is stupid would be the one that never gets asked.

Hope this helps.

russellmaher

KC1ANC
Take a breath...

..and just remember, that we all started out with little or no knowledge and had to ask the other members to help out and answer our questions. These scanners are much more advanced than those of 20 or 30 years ago, or more; and today's trunking systems have added another dimension to what was once a simple process. Putting a frequency into a channel and listening to the local PD is a totally new ballgame now.

Most of the folks here have patience with newbies and try to answer questions that it's sometimes hard to put into sentences that make sense. You ask them and we'll answer them as best we can.

So hang in there....this hobby is a lot of fun...and you'll be up to speed in no time.

Russell :wink:

Hexmaster

Premium Subscriber
Being a premium subscriber why don't you use the import feature and import some systems automatically from the databas here. Just look at what data is entered, where in the software it goes and how it's labeled. It might help to get an overall idea of the terminology being used. You will start to see that each system has frequencies and talkgroups. Unless the system is physically changed by the people that operate it the frequencies can generally be set and left alone. The only thing you will have left to worry about are the talk groups.

If you download Teamviewer you can provide someone a temporary pass code and they can operate your PC for you and literally show you how it's done as if they were sitting there.

"teamweaver" I am that desperate, I will try it. Have to do it on a pc though. Have to Macs running parallels with 7 I think the security on the Macs won't let the remote happen. I have this installed on all my computers. Free Scan that is.

Grouping still confuse's me still in conventional. Only thing left with conventional freq's. I am frustrated at least not giving up. I wonder how many people jump into these top notch scanners and send them back? I will not. I think my period is up anyways.

light bulb lit up. I am outside. hit the wild card (close call and store all) and sitting here watching it) it's picking up and storing allot. set for 100 channels so should be done soon. My house has aluminum siding on it and it messes up anything inside trying to receive or transmit , cell phones, laptop outside and router is weak. I hate it. Rip it all off and cash it in!!

kb2vxa

Banned
"When many of us got started in this hobby the internet nor RR even existed yet."

Yeah? I started before SCANNERS existed! You don't KNOW what it's like trying to find a frequency on an analog dial with a receiver that drifts worse than a boat without an anchor in a hurricane. Police Call directory wasn't even a glint in Gene Hughs' eye so the only way to find something of interest was tune around, guess the frequency and write things down in a log book. AAARRRGGGHHH!

Not to worry Hex, you have it TOO good. Old hobbyists were BORN to suffer, I survived Radio Hell so you'll survive RR and come out smiling.
Monty Python - Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life (45 version) - YouTube

mancow

Database Admin
Unless you go in and lock that close call auto store "found channels" it will continue to scan those along with whatever else you have enabled. Just something to be aware of in case it logged some annoying pager channels.

gewecke

Banned
"When many of us got started in this hobby the internet nor RR even existed yet."

Yeah? I started before SCANNERS existed! You don't KNOW what it's like trying to find a frequency on an analog dial with a receiver that drifts worse than a boat without an anchor in a hurricane. Police Call directory wasn't even a glint in Gene Hughs' eye so the only way to find something of interest was tune around, guess the frequency and write things down in a log book. AAARRRGGGHHH!

Not to worry Hex, you have it TOO good. Old hobbyists were BORN to suffer, I survived Radio Hell so you'll survive RR and come out smiling.
Monty Python - Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life (45 version) - YouTube

Warren, who are you kidding? You started before they invented wire! ;)

n9zas

Dude,,Its all good,,Many,,Many members go through the
ARRGGGGGGGGG!!!! this thing wont work-Phase...

some bail and leave the hobby,,,some slug thru and build
their knowledge..and if budgets permit,,you build a nice lil
shack along the way!

Cheers mate!

TheRock6969

Trying to Avoid this if possible!!! (The too many Questions~Being a Pain Part)

Guys, I am very new to this although I am not completely tech stupid, I am in Castle Rock, Colorado and have tried to read everything that has been posted concerning Douglas county and there DTRS system and trunking but I am still having trouble hearing much! Is there maybe somewhere near me that I could take my Uniden BCT8 (with 800MHz TrunkTracker3) and pay someone to get it optimally programed? Or is there someone near me who might be interested in helping out a NEWBIE for a price?

gr8rcall

Premium Subscriber
Don't worry about it!!! We all have asked our share of questions (and I still ask some).
There is absolutely NOTHING to apologize about.
Welcome to RR!!!

Gr8rcall

Last edited:

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Guys, I am very new to this although I am not completely tech stupid, I am in Castle Rock, Colorado and have tried to read everything that has been posted concerning Douglas county and there DTRS system and trunking but I am still having trouble hearing much! Is there maybe somewhere near me that I could take my Uniden BCT8 (with 800MHz TrunkTracker3) and pay someone to get it optimally programed? Or is there someone near me who might be interested in helping out a NEWBIE for a price?
I would recommend asking in the Colorado forum. Anything to do with activities related to things around you should go to your regional forum on here. Questions that are specific to a scanner but are not specific to a system should go in the Uniden forum. Being you are new it's always good to start in the Newbie forum rather than attaching to someone else's thread. That's considered "hijacking" the thread and isn't respectful to the original post(er), despite some of the other posts in this thread that are off-topic too.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I was going to suggest maybe trying to find someone willing to help and show you first hand but I saw you had already asked that after I posted.

Most here that would be willing to help you won't charge you for their time. I've helped some I've met on here and haven't expected anything ok return other than a thank you.

Last edited:

TheRock6969

Thanks for the heads up Wayne!

I would recommend asking in the Colorado forum. Anything to do with activities related to things around you should go to your regional forum on here. Questions that are specific to a scanner but are not specific to a system should go in the Uniden forum. Being you are new it's always good to start in the Newbie forum rather than attaching to someone else's thread. That's considered "hijacking" the thread and isn't respectful to the original post(er), despite some of the other posts in this thread that are off-topic too.

No disrespect intended HexMaster, I will jump over to the Newbie and Colorado forum, thanks again!

TheRock6969

Thanks Mike S104

I was going to suggest maybe trying to find someone willing to help and show you first hand but I saw you had already asked that after I posted.

Most here that would be willing to help you won't charge you for their time. I've helped some I've met on here and haven't expected anything ok return other than a thank you.

I so do appreciate the info and I am headed over to the Colorado forums!!!

Hexmaster

Premium Subscriber
It's cool we have our own special moments. :D

this just gets worst everyday day for me. Radio worked last night. I was doing a close call search. filled 200 channles i set i for and went to bed.

Woke up this morning, all freq's still in radio including freq's i put in from Free Scan. Radio Scans but no receive now. But if I do a manual search I get receive with reception bars. My hair is now gray.

I wish I bought the other radio online not marked Uniden. No support from uniden.

I did do this in the middle of the scan. I took a bnc connector anntena off my hand held and put it on the Uniden. What could it do being neither are TX radio's. I when I put antenna's back the Pro 106 still worked.

I found a thread where in Uniden scanners where someone else did the same thing on an external antenna and his bcd996xt now lost reception. Lemmon, bad firmware. I can't expect you guys to know these answers only maybe someone who ownes one already and I do not suggest buying one of these. It's full of bugs and I think that is half my problems. Allot of times I have to turn it off and back on ti get it back going that was before this problem. their are no options in to set it to default factory settings if I pushed the wrong button.

Someone wrote a manual and you should be able to turn it on and hold 2 and 9 to to a system reset, not mine. nothing happens. I have the latest firmware update I think. I can't look at it anymore. Up on the closest shelf it goes till Uniden gets their b.s. together.

This radio is to new and has problems. Lost to many nights and to much sleep on this thing.

sorry man to aggravated to spell check. doing my other hobby. computers. I might scrap this. Uniden I think has wrecked this for me. Just wait till more people buy these. I know I won't be the only one.

Thanks for the help and trying.

If you have an Idea before I take it off the desk I will try one more time.

Status
Not open for further replies.