Error msg "Stop running this script?" when opening threads (not forums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

QDP2012

Good morning Admins,

Yesterday/Today, and more so in the last several hours, when I open any thread, (in IE8 on WinXP), I get this error message:

Windows Internet Explorer

Stop running this script?

A script on this page is causing Internet Explorer to run slowly.
If it continues to run, your computer might become unresponsive.

Yes/No
Details:
  • It occurs with every thread I open, regardless of which.
  • It does not occur when opening forums, regardless of which.
  • It occurs even when IE is the only thing running,. (IE8 on XP)
  • The computer has been both rebooted and fully shut-down/restarted. Its updates are current.
  • Nothing was changed on the computer immediately prior to the problem first happening. (The computer has been stable for quite a while.).
  • Previously, frequent visits to RR from this computer happened with no problem.
I just wanted to mention this in case it might be an early sign of other problems. If, from your perspective, the problem seems to be on my end, just let me know.

EDIT: So far, this does not happen with other sites, just RR.

Thanks for checking,

Last edited:

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I am experiencing the same freeze ups with each thread opening.

Same here and with all versions of IE that I have, 8, 9 and 10.
And on XP or Win 7. The problem just started in the last day or two when using IE9 or 10 but has existed in IE8 for several months.

Don't see the script error message in IE9 or 10 but each forum topic I visit cause a long hang time before I can even scroll the topic page.

Very annoying for IE users. I recently upgraded to IE10 on my Win 7 machines and the forum topics speed came back to what they are in Firefox which works well with the typical ad and flash blockers or no script stuff but I generally don't like running those as they can be a pain sometimes.
As of yesterday maybe, I've lost the fast speeds at this site again with IE10 when trying to read any forum topic.

And no, I should not have to use firefox just for this sites forums IMO.
I prefer IE and it works fine for all my other sites. At least IE9 and above do. I have seen the same issues with IE8 at other sites like weatherunderground when trying to view a personal weather stations data. IE8 runs slow on that site as well and produces the same script errors. There is a way to turn off the script error warning but the sites are still slow when using IE8 and XP or Win 7. And now this site is slow when using IE10 or 9.
Something has changed here at RR in the last day or two. WU still runs fast as it can with IE9 or 10.

edit: it may have something to do with the facebook code that is embedded on many pages. I can't scroll a page until I see the little facebook Like thing light up near the top of a thread before I can scroll the page or topic. Even when I submit a new post in an existing topic, it hangs for about 10 seconds before my message posts.

Last edited:

n5ims

IE-10 Delay trace results.

I agree, running IE 10 here and there are stalls loading nearly every thread I attempt to load. Did some tracing and the issue does appear to be related to Facebook calls. Below are some trace results that appear to be where things stall. Hope these traces help to pinpoint (and correct) the problem.

URL Method Result Type Received Taken Initiator Wait‎‎ Start‎‎ Request‎‎ Response‎‎ Cache read‎‎ Gap‎‎
http://static.ak.facebook.com/connect/xd_arbiter.php?version=25#cb=f381fd0978f7e5c&origin=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.radioreference.com%2Ff1cf6edb834a4b2&domain=forums.radioreference.com&relation=parent&error=not_authorized GET 304 text/html 234 B 11.54 s appendChild <frame> 1544 11544 0 0 0 921
http://static.ak.facebook.com/connect/xd_arbiter.php?version=25#cb=f7088a2f568db6&origin=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.radioreference.com%2Ff3d05b5f3838998&domain=forums.radioreference.com&relation=parent&error=not_authorized GET 304 text/html 234 B 25.22 s appendChild <frame> 2496 25225 0 0 0 1473
http://static.ak.facebook.com/connect/xd_arbiter.php?version=25#cb=f12cb9c6279c89d&origin=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.radioreference.com%2Ffd149ce9df3ac5&domain=forums.radioreference.com&relation=parent&error=not_authorized GET 304 text/html 234 B 13.18 s appendChild <frame> 1576 13182 0 0 0 1061
http://static.ak.facebook.com/connect/xd_arbiter.php?version=25#cb=f1378db23f6511a&origin=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.radioreference.com%2Ff914a0936b9ae9&domain=forums.radioreference.com&relation=parent&error=not_authorized GET 304 text/html 234 B 19.40 s appendChild <frame> 1950 19406 0 0 0 1198

Last edited:

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I agree, running IE 10 here and there are stalls loading nearly every thread I attempt to load. Did some tracing and the issue does appear to be related to Facebook calls. Below are some trace results that appear to be where things stall. Hope these traces help to pinpoint (and correct) the problem.

Facebook Cross-Domain Messaging helper GET 304 text/html 234 B 19.40 s appendChild <frame> 1950 19406 0 0 0 1198

I think your test results show the problem!

At one time in IE8 on XP, I saw similar results as yours so I tried using the hosts file to redirect those calls to localhost but it only worked for some of the embedded code and not all.

Just three days ago, I bit the dust and upgraded my Win 7 machines to either IE9 or 10 just to get around this very problem at this site and weather underground and it worked great! Now something changed and I'm right back (even worse) to where I was with IE8!

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Same here, almost every thread is agonizingly slow to load, and lately it's no longer worth reading the forums routinely.

I have even seen a new message at the bottom of IE10 with most every thread I'm trying to read.,

"Radioreference.com is not responding due to a long-running script".

The scripts all seem to involve the Face Book nonsense.

Any way for users to turn off or disable those scripts on a global basis rather than avoid using the RR forums altogether?

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Any way for users to turn off or disable those scripts on a global basis rather than avoid using the RR forums altogether?

There is a registry mod that will remove the error popup but it does not speed up the page loads so not much sense in doing that! I did try it with XP and IE8 but no help.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Did you try turning off java?

Yep, I have tried that before and it did bring back ultra fast page loads of topics but... I then discovered I could no longer post any replies plus a lot of formatting was lost.
Apparently this site needs javascript enabled to function correctly with the IE browsers.

I don't think it is a java issue as it just started doing this in the last two days maybe and I've been running the latest Java 7 b25 since it was released some time back.

I think what n5ims posted pretty much shows it is an issue with the embedded facebook links. Something broke or changed at facebook IMO.

Why do we even need embedded links into facebook in every forum topic?

There is even a very short but noticeable lag in the opening of the home page but it is nothing compared to what is seen when opening any forum topic.
Most users would never even notice the home page lag.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
I'm seeing the lag on loading threads this morning also. No pop-up, but the IE window freezes for several seconds before I can scroll.
IE10 on Windows 7.

lep

It started on it's own and now seems to have stopped the same way. It is a problem at rr.com NOT something that we users did nor did we fix it.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
It is still happening to me, it says "radioreference is not responding due to a long running script" and it gives me the option of stopping the script. And if it helps any am using IE10.

QDP2012

Thanks!

It looks like it was related to the facebook like button plugin - I've gone ahead and removed it for now. Sorry about that...

The forums are working much better now. Thank you sir!

And thank you to all who helped identify the problem's cause!

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
It looks like it was related to the facebook like button plugin - I've gone ahead and removed it for now. Sorry about that...

What an incredible speed up now! I don't even remember when the forums were this fast to navigate. Looks like that may have been slowing things down for a long time, although it has gotten worse lately.

Any chance of disabling that Facebook nonsense permanently, or at least give the user (especially paid membership) the ability to turn those scripts off.

It really is a nuisance.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Thank you Lindsay for fixing it quickly. I agree the forums seem to be running nice and quick now.

NBCNews.com is running really slow (hanging IE for seconds) today as well. I wonder if they have the same script on their main page.

Status
Not open for further replies.