Upcoming forum additions

Status
Not open for further replies.

forums manager

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'd like to promote a little more transparency as far as forum additions go. The Uniden forum additions were going to happen regardless of discussion and I felt it was best to get it done quick and fire fight later. These upcoming changes are on slower areas - compared to Uniden.

1. Expanding the Software Category to add more forums similar to what was done with the Uniden forum.
  2. Expanding the International Radio Discussion Forums
  3. Adding islands and territories to the US Regionals.

( 1 ) The software programming forum includes software that isn't used for programming such as the popular "ID Tracker". A forum will be created for non-programming software that is not related to digital decoding in some form (e.g., remote control). Larger developers such as Butel and Starrsoft will get their own forums. Since they support multi-vendor and multi-scanner we want one place for them to go to support their software. I'll be adding thread prefixes for the various software titles too.

( 2 ) This one I'm certainly soliciting feedback for. The International forums are not that busy and I'm not sure if that's because of the vague geographical references or lack of visitors from that area. So consider this a Request For Comments.

( 3 ) For the US Regional forums I want to add a forum for the US territories (P.R., Guam, etc).

Last edited:

Comint

Premium Subscriber
I would certainly like to see the "MPT-1327 and TETRA Forums" split up, as they are two totally different protocols.

--
Comint

pb_lonny

As far as number 2 goes, I think most of the discussion for other countries (I am speaking from an Australian point of view) happens on other forums which are just for these locations. I come on here for a "world wide" view on things and leave anything "local" to the various forums which cover this.

Cunnerman

Premium Subscriber
Regarding #1; I am unsure where transceiver programming questions are supposed to go. Perhaps this would be the spot? I believe that right now the software category is strictly for scanner programming. I might be mistaken. I was going to post a thread awhile back with a Yaesu FT-7900 programming question but wasn't sure where it should be posted.

forums manager

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I would certainly like to see the "MPT-1327 and TETRA Forums" split up, as they are two totally different protocols.
If they generated enough traffic between the two I'd be for it. Since they haven't I've left them with their legacy name.

Regarding #1; I am unsure where transceiver programming questions are supposed to go. Perhaps this would be the spot? I believe that right now the software category is strictly for scanner programming. I might be mistaken. I was going to post a thread awhile back with a Yaesu FT-7900 programming question but wasn't sure where it should be posted.
Transceivers are going to go within their designated hierarchy categories: Amateur or Commercial and Professional. Considering the 7900 is an amateur radio the first thought should be the Amateur forums, then since it's a question about equipment, the Amateur Radio Equipment forum.

Basically my logic goes, the more traffic the more forum splits there will be.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I was going to post a thread awhile back with a Yaesu FT-7900 programming question but wasn't sure where it should be posted.
For the time being, in Amateur Radio Equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.