RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > General Scanning Discussion

General Scanning Discussion For general questions not specific to a model of scanner or general discussion of use of a scanner. Location specific posts should be directed to the regional forums listed below.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-29-2008, 1:28 PM

Default New digital scanners decoding Digital Encryption

I was just wondering if anyone has been hearing about a scanner that decodes encrypted (secure) radio traffic on a digital radio system. I hear of several instances in my area that people have been recieving encrypted signals on police scanners. A patrol officer heard himself on a persons scanner, so he double checked his radio and it was on secure "code". Another time a dispatcher could hear herself over the phone and again the dispatch radio was set to secure "code".

I would like to what radios can do this. I was told that it may be a model by Uniden.
Thanks, Luke
Sponsored links
Old 07-29-2008, 1:33 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Nope no models can decode encryption, that would be illegal.
Uniden: Home Patrol * BCD-396XT * BCD-996T * SC230
Old 07-29-2008, 1:33 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

There are no scanners that legally receive encrypted traffic. Chances are they have heard that digital is not scannable and believe what they have heard however wrong it is. I have had officers tell me before that the Ohio MARCs system is unable to be heard with a scanner, and Ill be darned if Im going to tell them any different...............Hoser
Old 07-29-2008, 1:35 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser147 View Post
There are no scanners that legally receive encrypted traffic. Chances are they have heard that digital is not scannable and believe what they have heard however wrong it is. I have had officers tell me before that the Ohio MARCs system is unable to be heard with a scanner, and Ill be darned if Im going to tell them any different...............Hoser
That is exactly right, I have been told by local cops that digital couldn't be scanned and I showed him that it could (don't really care, he is a friend of mine).
Old 07-29-2008, 2:09 PM
Idaho DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by landscaperluke View Post
I was just wondering if anyone has been hearing about a scanner that decodes encrypted (secure) radio traffic on a digital radio system. I hear of several instances in my area that people have been recieving encrypted signals on police scanners. A patrol officer heard himself on a persons scanner, so he double checked his radio and it was on secure "code". Another time a dispatcher could hear herself over the phone and again the dispatch radio was set to secure "code".

I would like to what radios can do this. I was told that it may be a model by Uniden.
Thanks, Luke
Maybe the transmissions are not really being encrypted do to a system malfunction or setup problem, or the always possible operator error.

Dave
DPD 700-1000 MHz LP Antenna
TinLee Diplexer

Sponsored links
Old 07-29-2008, 2:10 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser147 View Post
I have had officers tell me before that the Ohio MARCs system is unable to be heard with a scanner, and Ill be darned if Im going to tell them any different...............Hoser
Yes, and Private Calls/phone patches are completely private also.

Wondering if someone is confusing digital with encryption here.
Old 07-29-2008, 2:24 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Hahaha, a Battalion Chief in my area got a serious pee-pee slapping for a conversation made over a private call. He was FLOORED when he found out that, not only will scanners monitor these calls, but they even show the IDs of the two portables involved in the call. NAIL IN COFFIN.
Old 07-29-2008, 2:44 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Location: Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very cold.

Actually technically, there ARE scanners out there that will decode encrypted P25 transmissions. Sounds like R2D2 having a seizure, but they decode the signal just fine. Decrypting these comms is a whole other matter....

-AZ
Old 07-29-2008, 3:28 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick0413 View Post
That is exactly right, I have been told by local cops that digital couldn't be scanned and I showed him that it could (don't really care, he is a friend of mine).
And he tells his boss, who tells his boss, who screams about it... and the next thing you know, viola, encryption.

The problem here is either system problem, or more likely read the manual or attended training, and somebody said flip this switch and you're encrypted. But his radio doesn't have it and there are are only a few that do.

But showing your cop "friends" that you can monitor there conversations with a scanner is not a good idea. Especially when they were sold on digital because "nobody" could monitor it on a scanner. Generally, they solve that oversight, and then you really can't monitor it anymore. And not turning them down around cops will likely attract unwanted attention too.
Sponsored links
Old 07-29-2008, 3:39 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsalan View Post
And he tells his boss, who tells his boss, who screams about it... and the next thing you know, viola, encryption.

The problem here is either system problem, or more likely read the manual or attended training, and somebody said flip this switch and you're encrypted. But his radio doesn't have it and there are are only a few that do.

But showing your cop "friends" that you can monitor there conversations with a scanner is not a good idea. Especially when they were sold on digital because "nobody" could monitor it on a scanner. Generally, they solve that oversight, and then you really can't monitor it anymore. And not turning them down around cops will likely attract unwanted attention too.
Depends... When you know the "boss" and the boss doesn't want encryption. Like he told me for things that sensitive they have cell phones.
Old 07-29-2008, 9:56 PM

I have never heard these scanners myself, but I do know that the county I am speaking of encrypts 99% of their radio traffic, and it is a digital system too. I can recieve the digital portion with my PRO-96, in the clear, but the encrypted sounds like R2D2 as was mentioned. I know that decrypting coded is illegal but I have been told this more than once.
I recently started to do the radio programming for our local rescue squad and it seems that I am always learning new things.
Just thought I'd check with you guys
Old 07-30-2008, 1:03 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZScanner View Post
Actually technically, there ARE scanners out there that will decode encrypted P25 transmissions. Sounds like R2D2 having a seizure, but they decode the signal just fine. Decrypting these comms is a whole other matter....

-AZ
Technically it is demodulating the signal, not decoding it, but the point is still the same.
Old 07-30-2008, 1:12 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I was searching some fed freqs a few months ago and one of the radios was in the clear. The operator was not aware but at least one other user could tell and told him to return to the station and have the radio rekeyed.
It could have been similar circumstances.

chris
Old 07-31-2008, 7:03 AM

Thumbs down Never Happen

Quote:

Thanks, Luke
Impossible. Never gonna happen.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:30 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Basically, what the OP has been hearing are people who have no idea what they are talking about. There are a lot of them around radio, and many of them actually have to use radios on a daily basis.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:32 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
I know that decrypting coded is illegal but I have been told this more than once. I recently started to do the radio programming for our local rescue squad and it seems that I am always learning new things.
Just thought I'd check with you guys
You're programming radios for your local "rescue squad" and you actually believe there's a scanner that will do digital decryption? Don't you have to have some kind of FCC license to be programming radios?
Old 07-31-2008, 1:32 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAR2401 View Post
You're programming radios for your local "rescue squad" and you actually believe there's a scanner that will do digital decryption? Don't you have to have some kind of FCC license to be programming radios?
Yes, because only experts in the radio field are allowed to program radios right?
Old 07-31-2008, 1:56 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAR2401 View Post

It's not 1970 anymore
Old 07-31-2008, 10:45 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog View Post
It's not 1970 anymore
No, but apparently the concept of sarcasm ended somewhere around then.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:09 PM
EMS Dispatcher
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Kinda like when people say that your Motorola radio on a TRS can be identified even if you don't key it up. Simply don't program it to affiliate on systems. Programming it with the SAME user ID as the dispatch console is another way - because if the stun the radio, something else goes down.

You can forget about downloading the encryption key from a radio, even if someone gave you one to get it from, it's a 1 way street. You can't download it. From what I understand, if, with some Motorola equipment, if it is left without power to the unit for an extended period, it will lose it's encryption code as well.

/
\/\|k.e

EMS Dispatcher/EMD Certified
http://icanhasdriverslicense.com
Closed Thread