RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > General Scanning Discussion

General Scanning Discussion For general questions not specific to a model of scanner or general discussion of use of a scanner. Location specific posts should be directed to the regional forums listed below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-19-2009, 5:01 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Question Need Help Choosing a New 800MHZ Trunking Radio or Scanner

I have a Uniden 264t, a Pro-97, and a Pro-433, but none of them get the kind of reception that I would like no matter what type of antenna I use. I am only monitoring the 800Mhz Motorola trunking band (Fort Worth, Texas) and was wondering if anybody knew of a different scanner or commercial radio that would give me better reception? I only NEED 14 or 15 channles, but if I had access to more I would use them. If anybody has any suggestions that would be great.

Thanks,
Jared K.
KE5VLJ
DFW242
Sponsored links

Old 06-19-2009, 6:43 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Have you considered buying an 800 MHz Band Specific antenna , or connecting to a roof-top 800 MHz Yagi aimed at FW ?

What sort of antenna are you using now that isn't "up to snuff" ?
Old 06-19-2009, 6:47 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Well, I really don't use my radios at home. I am usually in my car or walking around at the scene of a call, so somehting like a yagi really wouldn't help. But thanks for the input.

Thanks,
Jared K.
Old 06-19-2009, 6:48 PM

Jared,

The scanners your using have nothing to do with what you can and cannot hear, unless your talking about digital.

Saying
Quote:
no matter what type of antenna I use
Really does not help us/anyone tell you how to improve your area of reception unless you tell us what your actually using or what you have tried.

3 of the major concerns should be:

1) Concentrate on the frequency or frequencies your looking to receive when it comes to an antenna (most times a Yagi is your best bet is the desired stations are in the same coverage[MHz] area)

2) Get whatever antenna you choose as high as you can.

3) Do some research on coax and get some good stuff, cheap coax is the same as using a Junk antenna (not going to recommend coax, everyone has different opinions, do your homework).

Good luck on your hobby.
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared2295 View Post
I have a Uniden 264t, a Pro-97, and a Pro-433, but none of them get the kind of reception that I would like no matter what type of antenna I use. I am only monitoring the 800Mhz Motorola trunking band (Fort Worth, Texas) and was wondering if anybody knew of a different scanner or commercial radio that would give me better reception? I only NEED 14 or 15 channles, but if I had access to more I would use them. If anybody has any suggestions that would be great.

Thanks,
Jared K.
KE5VLJ
DFW242
Old 06-19-2009, 7:05 PM

Follow up...Apparently your talking about a portable.

Would have been nice to know that in the original post you made.

So most of what i said can be regarded.
Sponsored links

Tags
800mhz, motorola, radio, scanner, trunking