When local police say to "go up two"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koolbreeze

Premium Subscriber
I have noticed that the local police departments will often tell another officer to "go up two" on his transmitter, then I loose the transmission.

I have all the local listed frequencies programmed.

Any ideas on how I might find out what channel they are going to during these times?

N

N_Jay

Look at a radio and find out what frequency is up two positions from where they are.

dracer777

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (MOT-QA30/00.72 UP.Browser/7.2.7.5.610 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

N_Jay said:
Look at a radio and find out what frequency is up two positions from where they are.

I would double check that you have all the local channels in. If you are listening to city PD, program in the "tac" channels for county, see if they are running in there. If that does not work, try searching that freq range. For example, if the dispatch is running on 155.xxxm search 150-160, although this may take some trial and error, maybe someone else will have better advice. Maybe if you can locate the transmitter or repeater, you can use close call or signal stalker, I'm not sure which scanner you have.

Koolbreeze

Premium Subscriber

I thought about that, but I wasn't sure where to add the "two". Say the frequency is 167.7550. Would you make it 169.7550, 167.9550, or possibly 167.7552? Where would you add the "two"?

I admit I'm a noob when it comes to frequency codes. I'm uncertain what degree of increase would constitute a different channel.

I live in smalltown Oklahoma. The city and county share the same repeater, and I've programmed in all the frequencies listed for this locale by means of the Radio References database, programmed through my PC.

I own the Uniden BCD396XT, and have close call set up on it, but have yet to receive any hits locally, other than the train station, and train operators.

Thanks to you guys for offering your help =)

ecps92

What Channel do you hear this on. Not the Freq, but maybe the Alpha Name that the Police have listed. ie: Ch.01, Tac-5, Det-6

If they are on Ch.02 and say go up two they are going to Ch.04
If they are on Ch.01 and say go up two they are going to Ch.03

You need to know the Channel plan for the Dept in question, NOT the frequencies in-use, but the Naming convention

I thought about that, but I wasn't sure where to add the "two". Say the frequency is 167.7550. Would you make it 169.7550, 167.9550, or possibly 167.7552? Where would you add the "two"?

I admit I'm a noob when it comes to frequency codes. I'm uncertain what degree of increase would constitute a different channel.

I live in smalltown Oklahoma. The city and county share the same repeater, and I've programmed in all the frequencies listed for this locale by means of the Radio References database, programmed through my PC.

I own the Uniden BCD396XT, and have close call set up on it, but have yet to receive any hits locally, other than the train station, and train operators.

Thanks to you guys for offering your help =)

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Also sometimes they will have odd names for going secure, or going to a talk around. Examples- Caddo Valley PD here uses one freq, 155.9550, but they have a private chan lol.. Its the same freq but with voice inversion in use... They will say go to private. And click on goes the inversion. An small agency in MS is officially licensed for only three VHF hi freqs,... But, for certian comms uses one of the county's rarely used freqs... And for interop til the new statewide system goes fully active uses another of the county's freqs to talk direct... Also look at the same freqs and monitor for other tones on them... Example- F-1 154.9350 with 127.3 PL, also F-4 154.9350 with 156.7 PL.... Or X County SO North- 155.7300 031 DPL, Central 155.7300 156 DPL... It can be frustrating, but also fun to figure out how an agency has its chan plan set up...

Remember, sometimes LEA will also use the DPW, Roads, ANY licesed freq for that city etc...

N

N_Jay

Don't forget they could be going to an unlicensed or improperly licensed channel.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Yep. Oh and I forgot, DON'T overlook repeater input freqs as they will and DO use these for talk around, car to car, and on scene tacs...

pwolsko

I asked my son about this (he's a NYPD cop) and he said that they have certain channel selections to use (i.e. 1,2,3,4,5) and never deal with frequency selections. So it may be to move two up from where they currently are. They don't use the "Go Up" thing in the NYPD.

Don_Burke

I would put in every frequency that the local government is licensed for.

They might be using a school bus or garbage truck channel as an additional simplex channel.

N

N_Jay

Yes, maybe it is not obvious to those here, but most radio users deal with channel names and numbers that have no relation to the frequency.
Most do not even know their frequency, PL code or much else.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Exactly, the average person using a radio, has no real clue just what it can do fully, or how it all works. And frankly most don't care, as long as they can turn a knob, hit a button, press PTT and get through to who they want, its all good. Its the scannist, tech guys, and the comms folks that even really dig deeper. Ask an average cop on the beat what freq he is on.. He will say basically,..."I dunno, CH. 4?" A few are more techie and will go all out and say..."Currently I am on our CH. 4, which is what you will hear as 155.6125 MHz from the repeater, though when I talk its actually going out of this HT as 158.9375 MHz to the repeater...." Though they are the few and far between lol.

DonS

It could also be what I hear the local PD say... "go to 2", which means "go to TGID 48", referred to by officers as "police channel 2", though it's really a talkgroup, not a channel.

N8IAA

I have noticed that the local police departments will often tell another officer to "go up two" on his transmitter, then I loose the transmission.

Any ideas on how I might find out what channel they are going to during these times?

Being that there are only three frequencies for your county, it shouldn't be too hard to figure it out. More than likely, they switch to a simplex frequency that you will not hear unless you are close to them. Find the input frequencies of your SO and listen. A good external antenna, or, a gain ht antenna will help in your search.
Larry

jjudson

When I listen to Camden, NJ or Philadelphia, I often hear the dispatcher or sergeant tell an office to "Go to (or switch to) channel X." After that, you don't hear the officer again. I just assume that they are switching to an encrypted channel. It usually seems to be related to some investigative activity that they are involved in. I even heard one dispatcher in Camden instruct an officer four or five times - while the officer was speaking - to switch to channel 4. She became rather adamant on the fourth or fifth time - at which moment the officer got the message and apparently switched.

DickH

Since you haven't told us which system it is there is no way to see which freqs. are involved and no way to search the FCC database to find possible freqs.
My GUESS, to add to the dozen others, is two notches clockwise on the channel selector on their radio.

DickH

The map reveals you are in MARSHALL county. There are only 6 freqs. in the FCC database and you probably have them all.
150-805 - Water
154.370 - Fire
154.755 - Sheriff
155.490 - Sheriff
155.670 - Sheriff
155.790 - Sheriff
If it's not one of those, then you will need to SEARCH - not Close Call.
Set up a search range starting with 154.0 to 156.0. Then when they say "go up 2" hit SEARCH.
If that doesn't find them, expand the search.

RICHat22

What they said. Plus make sure your squelch is low enough to break. ALOT of the time, they go off repeater, sometimes lower power, inputs, bus or road dept channel. Just whatever that city or county can use. I would suggest finding out who does their bandplan or radio programming and get in good with them. I live a a fairly small area and know everyone. It wasn't hard to get my hands on all the info including channel numbers of the radios and the freqs. So when they say "go to 8", I have their 8 in my 8 on the scanner and I get it. As long as I'm within a few miles of them.

Also you can search a few freqs squelch off, or have a search bank ready.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The FCC shows the following public safety frequencies licensed in Marshall County. Some are local, some are county, some are state. In addition, don't forget to listen to the nationwide common public safety frequencies which are often used by many local depts, especially 155.475.

Common Public Safety - The RadioReference Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.