RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > General Scanning Discussion

General Scanning Discussion - For general questions not specific to a model of scanner or general discussion of use of a scanner. Manufacturer specific posts should be directed to the appropriate forums below and location specific posts should go in the appropriate regional forum..

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2010, 3:38 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default FCC Delays Narrowbanding Until 2013

Here is the announcement, made June 30, 2010, on the subject:

http://www.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Da...C-299410A1.pdf
Sponsored links
Old 07-04-2010, 11:59 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

The subject line is a little misleading. The VHF/UHF narrowband operation deadline was and still is 1/1/2013. The deadline for new 25 KHz operation was and still is 1/1/11. What they did do is extend the deadline that radio manufs. could still make new 25 KHz radios, as well as when 6.25 KHz must be in all new radios.

To the public safety or business license, there is no delay to when they have to narrowband by.
Old 07-04-2010, 5:27 PM
Sheriff
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

It looks like to me that this merely allows 25 KHz. equipment to be purchased after January 1, 2011. It does not extend the date that VHF and UHF users must ***operate*** in Narrow mode past the previous January 1, 2013 deadline.

This makes it easier for users that will remain wide closer to the deadline to obtain new radios that still operate in the older wide mode. For example, the various FD's in my area are not narrowbanding the mutual aid and fireground channels until 2012 if an FD wanted to buy a new radio after the first of the year 2011 they would have had to operate in the narrow mode with the new radio while everyone else is wide. This allows them to buy radios with both wide and narrow modes up until the operational deadline so you don't have problems with new radios not being able to operate on a legal mode.

Facts are facts but my opinions are my own and may not reflect those of whom I work for.
Old 07-04-2010, 6:09 PM
MN & WI DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Default NarrowBanding

I think this might help push most areas to incorporate Digital Statewide P25 Systems. Not all areas but most I think will because most will need to purchase new radios and this will bring up questions on what a good investment is. That is just one of my thoughts the other is that this is not going to solve anything. The biggest thing right now that is going to and is currently helping congestion in these bands is the large number of areas switching to trunking which is mostly Narrow-band.
Old 07-04-2010, 7:01 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I should have posted the URL for the full FCC decision and rulemaking because it's much more comprehensive and detailed than the press release. The full decision has details and rebuttals of the petitioner's positions and requests and can be found right at the top of the page at Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Home Page.
Sponsored links
Old 07-04-2010, 7:30 PM

I agree - the title of the thread is mis-leading and inaccurate. The Narrowbanding compliance date for all Part 90 VHF and UHF licensees remains January 1, 2013 - that has NOT changed. For details on what HAS changed and other accurate information visit FCC Part 90 VHF UHF LMR Narrowbanding Key Dates (Revised) - WirelessRadio.net